League One Oxford vs Portsmouth? Title contenders?

I’d be happy with second and to meet Portsmouth again next season
What's going on? This love in with Portsmouth? A complete no no in my long football text book spanning 50+ years. To me like dogs - a club is for life.

To fans who may dislike my dinosaur stance then tough as fortunately I'm lucky that I don't have any allegiance with any football club other than Oxford. I'd love to see some of the posters spike up the same topic with any Pompey, Millwall or West Ham supporters and brooch the same ooh I don't mind finishing second to you guys and see their reaction. They would laugh out loud into the night.

Maybe it's time to all hold each others hands aloft and say I don't mind being relegated because Lee Steele used to play for Oxford ffs.

Why on earth after all these years battling with the pom poms would I ever want to see them coming out on top of a two horse race. I'd rather boil my head in hot extra virgin olive oil. What is the world coming too.

It's called competition and being part of 92 clubs who at the start of every season thinks that their club is destined for success. But in our case it seems being a runner up to one of our greatest foes. Ffs.

COYY'S

What's going on? This love in with Portsmouth? A complete no no in my long football text book spanning 50+ years. To me like dogs - a club is for life.

To fans who may dislike my dinosaur stance then tough as fortunately I'm lucky that I don't have any allegiance with any football club other than Oxford. I'd love to see some of the posters spike up the same topic with any Pompey, Millwall or West Ham supporters and brooch the same ooh I don't mind finishing second to you guys and see their reaction. They would laugh out loud into the night.

Maybe it's time to all hold each others hands aloft and say I don't mind being relegated because Lee Steele used to play for Oxford ffs.

Why on earth after all these years battling with the pom poms would I ever want to see them coming out on top of a two horse race. I'd rather boil my head in hot extra virgin olive oil. What is the world coming too.

It's called competition and being part of 92 clubs who at the start of every season thinks that their club is destined for success. But in our case it seems being a runner up to one of our greatest foes. Ffs.

COYY'S
I hope Portsmouth lose every game from now until the end of the season except when they play Rovers and Reading and I am all for this level of pettyness.

COYY'S
Very well put. You wouldn’t see Mousinho telling his players to settle for second best because Oxford were his former team.

Hopefully they suffer their usual season collapse so those entitled fans face another year in league one where they belong.

COYY'S
f*****g amen to that 🙏

Yes I would be too but that is not the point. If you asked me would I be happier finishing ahead of Pompey or second behind them if we get promoted I would choose winning the league every time above them. It's seems some would be happier to finish second as long as it is Pompey who won it! What would you rather, first or second this season?
No one in this thread has said they’d choose second over first.

COYY'S
Well said. Don't get this Pompey love in at all.................

It's all semantics! Saying more than happy for Pompey to finish above us is pretty much the same thing!
No it isn’t.

Were you happy when we got promoted under Appleton?

If so, why would you choose for us to finish below Northampton? You absolute traitor.

Last edited:
No it isn’t.

Were you happy when we got promoted under Appleton?

If so, why would you choose for us to finish below Northampton? You absolute traitor.
Yes it is although appreciate some fishing may be going on. "I'd be more than happy with portsmouth winning and us coming second" pretty much says that they would happily choose second as long as Pompey win it. Yes I was very happy when we got promoted? You? However, I would have been more than happy if they had finished second and we had won the league. I would have very much preferred that. You have lost me a bit on the traitor comment. Have a nice day!

Yes it is although appreciate some fishing may be going on. "I'd be more than happy with portsmouth winning and us coming second" pretty much says that they would happily choose second as long as Pompey win it. Yes I was very happy when we got promoted? You? However, I would have been more than happy if they had finished second and we had won the league. I would have very much preferred that. You have lost me a bit on the traitor comment. Have a nice day!
I was more than happy. If we finish second this season, I will be more than happy.

Being very happy with something doesn’t mean it’s your first choice. It doesn’t “pretty much” mean it’s your first choice.

I’d be more than happy if you paid me a million pounds. I would very much prefer that you paid me two million. No one read those two sentences and suggest that I would prefer £1m to £2m, but if we change the money to league positions then it seems to confuse some people.

I was more than happy. If we finish second this season, I will be more than happy.

Being very happy with something doesn’t mean it’s your first choice. It doesn’t “pretty much” mean it’s your first choice.

I’d be more than happy if you paid me a million pounds. I would very much prefer that you paid me two million. No one read those two sentences and suggest that I would prefer £1m to £2m, but if we change the money to league positions then it seems to confuse some people.
You're f*****g mental. I'd much rather have the two million. Please don't apply for the Head of Finance position.

Really? The important thing for me was that we got promoted. I honestly barely even remember/care that they won the league and we finished second. It’s not something I ever think about now and, while obviously at the time I would have preferred/chosen it, and would have been happier, I can honestly say I don’t dwell on it anywhere near as much as I do, say, the Wycombe playoff final.

If someone now said ‘You can have a 90% chance of finishing second, 10% chance of 3rd or you can have an 89% chance of finishing first, but 11% of 3rd’ I’d take the former without doubt or hesitation.

I think what was meant was that if we had to finish 2nd the the poster wouldn't of minded if it was Pompey who finished above us. me personally i want to finish top. I dont care it what order teams finish below us.

He is but these season long loans always have have a break clause for all 3 parties in the January transfer window, I am hundred percent we won’t activate, pretty sure he is happy but I suppose the only worry is a championship club offer Brighton more money and the chance for him to play a level higher.
We have a strong relationship with Brighton.I would be very surprised if they were to renege on the year long loan agreed between us. It wasn’t so long ago that their fans were at the Kassam with begging buckets for cash to help them survive. In any event, playing in a good team which, although early days, looks to be going places is precisely why they wanted him to come here. In addition I’m guessing Beadle is enjoying his time with us. There’s clearly a great camaraderie between the players.

Back
Top Bottom