Manager/Coach Oxford United’s managerial conundrum

Is that why we sing “come on you U-oos” and everyone posts COYU on here during games? :)
Its why we sang the culture club song which finished with 'come on you Us' on the LRT, and why Ride have 'Win or Lose, Don't get the blues, Up the Us' etched into the run off of the Going Blank Again vinyl... ☺

The song you reference is about our shirt colour, not our nickname. Glad to help 😉

Hi everyone

I’m an Ipswich Town fan who has just started a substack for EFL content. I usually publish articles every Sunday but have written a bonus piece about the unique challenges of Oxford’s next appointment. I’ve linked it below.

I would be interested to know who your preferred candidate for the role would be. I’ve run through a few names in the article but not all of those who have been linked. There doesn’t seem to be a standout option in my view.
I’d massively appreciate any subscriptions to my substack. It’s free and all new articles will go to your email inbox. At the moment I’m trying to build up a base across the EFL. Likewise I’m happy to accept any pointers as you’ll know your club better than me.

Hope you enjoy and good luck for the rest of the year.

Jacob
https://jacobpowley.substack.com
Polls on here consistently have Appleton as a clear winner in terms of the fan’s choice.

Yeah, not a fan of the "U's" myself either. Particularly brought it home when watching Oxfoed play Cambridge away on ifollow and not once did their commentators refer to themselves as Cambridge, but "The U's" everytime and found it really irrating tbh. I'm glad that Jerome etc only use it sparingly when commentating on us.

Yeah, not a fan of the "U's" myself either. Particularly brought it home when watching Oxfoed play Cambridge away on ifollow and not once did their commentators refer to themselves as Cambridge, but "The U's" everytime and found it really irrating tbh. I'm glad that Jerome etc only use it sparingly when commentating on us.
some clubs nicknames are used more than others

Polls on here consistently have Appleton as a clear winner in terms of the fan’s choice.
Interesting, thanks. He's a good boss but is more process-based so may not be suited for a relegation battle but if you can get through the end of this season, he'll make a positive impact moving forward.

I've had a little read around the other thread and it seems Warburton is a contender too? He's another slow builder but would be a good long-term choice. His reputation for youth development is a big tick in his column too.

Interesting to see Manning looking likely to get the job. I didn't mention him in the article because he wasn't among the favourites at the time, if I remember rightly.

Overall I think it's fairly positive. Two out of his three seasons in management so far have been successful ones. His MK team last year was exceptional and even his job there this year doesn't look as bad as it did a few months ago because with the new manager, the team is now even worse. I've had a look on the MK forum and most of them blame Director of Football Liam Sweeting's poor recruitment for their troubles this year, rather than Manning. A year ago he was being touted for Championship jobs and he won't have become a bad manager overnight. Presumably having had experience working under a DoF model, he'll have been given some assurances about the head of recruitment role being filled soon too?

The only thing I'd be cautious about is that he was fairly wedded to the possession-based philosophy at MK even when things weren't going well this year and I don't know whether it's well suited to a relegation battle, even though it'll probably a reasonable fit with Oxford's squad. As I mentioned in the article, I think it was always going to be fairly difficulty to find a manager with both a high long-term ceiling and the attributes for a short-term scrap. It seems the board have taken the risk and gone for the latter, so if you can get through the next 10 games it should be a good appointment.

Whilst I can't disagree with much of what you say there, I've always felt that U's is a particularly shite nickname, and have always preferred Yellows myself.

For the record, I'm even older than you are.
It's the U's...

Back
Top Bottom