Manager/Coach Oxford United’s managerial conundrum

EFL View

Ipswich Town Fan
Hi everyone

I’m an Ipswich Town fan who has just started a substack for EFL content. I usually publish articles every Sunday but have written a bonus piece about the unique challenges of Oxford’s next appointment. I’ve linked it below.

I would be interested to know who your preferred candidate for the role would be. I’ve run through a few names in the article but not all of those who have been linked. There doesn’t seem to be a standout option in my view.
I’d massively appreciate any subscriptions to my substack. It’s free and all new articles will go to your email inbox. At the moment I’m trying to build up a base across the EFL. Likewise I’m happy to accept any pointers as you’ll know your club better than me.

Hope you enjoy and good luck for the rest of the year.

Jacob
https://jacobpowley.substack.com

Hi everyone

I’m an Ipswich Town fan who has just started a substack for EFL content. I usually publish articles every Sunday but have written a bonus piece about the unique challenges of Oxford’s next appointment. I’ve linked it below.

I would be interested to know who your preferred candidate for the role would be. I’ve run through a few names in the article but not all of those who have been linked. There doesn’t seem to be a standout option in my view.
I’d massively appreciate any subscriptions to my substack. It’s free and all new articles will go to your email inbox. At the moment I’m trying to build up a base across the EFL. Likewise I’m happy to accept any pointers as you’ll know your club better than me.

Jacob
We are the U's, not the Yellows. Some do call us 'Yellows', mostly younger fans, but the nickname 'U's' goes back decades.

We are the U's, not the Yellows. Some do call us 'Yellows', mostly younger fans, but the nickname 'U's' goes back decades.
Cheers, wasn’t aware of that. The couple of Oxford fans I know tend to go with yellows, but that’s probably due to my age!

I
Leam Richardson @EFL View
Interesting shout. I’ve added a bit about him into the article, as I forgot to post it originally.

If he’s available he’d be a great pick, just not sure if he’d be up for it. He’s spent most of his career up north and may choose to wait as he won’t be short of offers up there, especially now his work at Wigan looks even better in hindsight after the Kolo Toure debacle.

Would be a top choice though.

Whilst I can't disagree with much of what you say there, I've always felt that U's is a particularly shite nickname, and have always preferred Yellows myself.

For the record, I'm even older than you are.

Hi everyone

Jacob
I have had a good read of this and itsnot a bad read. Not sure about your suggestion we don't have the budgets of the big hitters in the division. A little research of the ridiculous amount of money we have spent (wasted) this season and some research on our owners wealth might lead you to a slightly different viewpoint. I also think The Crowleys would not be a good fit here.....

You definitely need to look a bit deeper about how big our budget is and into who our owners are and their ambition.
Plus the new (hopefully) stadium may also be an influence.

I have had a good read of this and itsnot a bad read. Not sure about your suggestion we don't have the budgets of the big hitters in the division. A little research of the ridiculous amount of money we have spent (wasted) this season and some research on our owners wealth might lead you to a slightly different viewpoint. I also think The Crowleys would not be a good fit here.....
Thanks, appreciate the feedback, I probably made the budget appear smaller than it is. It’s certainly bigger than the other teams at the bottom and many in mid-table.

Would you agree it’s still probably fair to suggest the budget at Oxford isn’t as big as it is for ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Portsmouth etc. and Sunderland and Wigan before that though? From an outside point of view, it seemed like competing in and around the top 6 was quite impressive on Robinson’s part, until this season.

The Cowley bros are definitely not a good fit with their style of play and how Oxford supporters (on the whole) prefer their team to play.

Would you agree it’s still probably fair to suggest the budget at Oxford isn’t as big as it is for ourselves, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Portsmouth etc. and Sunderland and Wigan before that though? From an outside point of view, it seemed like competing in and around the top 6 was quite impressive on Robinson’s part, until this season.

You, Wednesday, Derby - Yes.
In terms of total money spent (on wages, signing fees, transfer fees, agent fees etc.) we might be next though. I think our CEO stated that we had the 8th highest wage bill, but we've spent (wasted) more money on bringing players in than most.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback, I probably made the budget appear smaller than it is. It’s certainly bigger than the other teams at the bottom and many in mid-table.

It's been said elsewhere on here that our budget this season is definitely top 6, maybe even higher.

You definitely need to look a bit deeper about how big our budget is and into who our owners are and their ambition.
Plus the new (hopefully) stadium may also be an influence.
Cheers for the feedback and the read. Will do a bit of a wider edit later on.

Whilst I can't disagree with much of what you say there, I've always felt that U's is a particularly shite nickname, and have always preferred Yellows myself.

For the record, I'm even older than you are.
it aint great ( I agree- sort of) - but the U's IS our nickname, and much better than the last attempt to officially - sometime in the 70s (I think)- to change it, to 'the dons' ,with a silhouette of an undergrad scholar in a gown n mortar board running being mooted as a replacement for the Oxs head badge -which, thank f**k- both were shelved -and sharpish too

if it ain't broke , why try n fix it

I’ve managed to get 10 minutes to remove the bit about the budget and re-word it a little.

Thanks to those who have commented so far, hope you enjoy the edit!

it aint great ( I agree- sort of) - but the U's IS our nickname, and much better than the last attempt to officially - sometime in the 70s (I think)- to change it, to 'the dons' ,with a silhouette of an undergrad scholar in a gown n mortar board running being mooted as a replacement for the Oxs head badge -which, thank f**k- both were shelved -and sharpish too

if it ain't broke , why try n fix it

I had a football quiz annual at some point in the 70s which had 'The Dons' down as our nickname. I think I always assumed it was just wrong!

Accept the point, but personally would never refer to us as the U's.

I had a football quiz annual at some point in the 70s which had 'The Dons' down as our nickname. I think I always assumed it was just wrong!

Accept the point, but personally would never refer to us as the U's.
as is yours (& everyones) right not to do so

as Ive got older , especially with my old man now in early stages of dementia , he keeps on referring to 'the U's' , guess its kinda sticking with me of late ( never liked the U's nickname much back in the day)

• React
Reactions: m
Living up here near Chester I’ve had a lot of people think we known as the O’s, The Bulls and The Ox.

It’s taken a while but I’ve finally taught them we are The U’s. Although every Saturday in work I have 1 guy shout ‘come on you yellows’ at me.

Back
Top Bottom