General Oxford United - Reasons to be cheerful!

Rather than the constant need to focus on only positives (you) or negatives (kip) how about we just allow reasoned balanced debate without constant spin or labeling of fans into binary groups. (And yes I realize the irony of my post)

Terrible idea.

I like it though, good thinking.

Playing cracking football, got decent talent, highest league positions for many years....oh and still unbeaten against the Scum(I know we've not played them in 3 years but still lol)

Just for those who missed the key word!!

The whole point of the thread was to look at positives and arguably if promoted then Robinson would have surpassed Appleton, but we're not there yet.

Robinson has achieved our current position whilst also driving through changes at pretty much every level of the club. Youth development is better than it's ever been and there is a clear route into the first team when players are ready. He is supporting the sustainability of our club by helping our stars of the future whilst also developing genuine saleable assets.

Appleton was great, and his team won't be ignored or forgotten, but we have a manager who could do even more and that deserves acknowledgement.
As well as promotion (to the championship) KR also needs to steer OUFC to two Wembley finals to even equal MApps achievements with OUFC, which he hasnt. Yet. .....being positive KR concievably could get both this season, with potentially a play off final (id prefer to go up in an automatic league position) and, beat Newcastle tomorrow night (which is doable) and then beat WBA,would take us another 2 steps closer to a proper cup final. Win either or even better both wembley finals and KR would surpass MApps achievements at OUFC (imo)

As well as promotion (to the championship) KR also needs to steer OUFC to two Wembley finals to even equal MApps achievements with OUFC, which he hasnt. Yet. .....being positive KR concievably could get both this season, with potentially a play off final (id prefer to go up in an automatic league position) and, beat Newcastle tomorrow night (which is doable) and then beat WBA,would take us another 2 steps closer to a proper cup final. Win either or even better both wembley finals and KR would surpass MApps achievements at OUFC (imo)
The madness that we are even entertaining the idea of turning over Newcastle and then WBA is positivity personified![emoji16]

Promotion to the Championship the entertaining way we play* would for me surpass MApp's wonderful achievements.

*I'm not suggesting MApp's team didn't play football either.

It would get us back to our natural level. ?

I like this thread. Here are a few, big and small.

Three lads with Oxfordshire accents in first team squad.

Togetherness and team spirit. Attitude good. No primadonnas.

Training set up right up there with the best.

The match day programme is really good.

Comms team, Kath, Rosie, ticket office staff - all bleed yellow.

The family area being noticeably busier and not just for the cup games.

The Academy under Dan Harris and his team - everything about that impresses.

For all his foibles Karl Robinson and his approach to the game. This league is full of boring pragmatists, KR has soul.

Above all, the football we're playing. When on song we've not seen anything like it since the glory days.

Gorrin is massive for us. The way he knits stuff together and the ground he covers....wow! If he Cam and Henry can rediscover the magic triumvirate for the rest of the season, AND Browne continues to do the business up front with Taylor coming back in too....again....wow!

FOSBAP was a shock i the manner and timing, but we need to get it into perspective and compare to what we already and STILL have!

My son (the cheeky young scamp) turned to me after Browne's sublime finish on Saturday and said "Tariqe who?" ?

Exciting times and PLENTY to be cheerful about. COYY!

Just for those who missed the key word!!

The whole point of the thread was to look at positives and arguably if promoted then Robinson would have surpassed Appleton, but we're not there yet.

Robinson has achieved our current position whilst also driving through changes at pretty much every level of the club. Youth development is better than it's ever been and there is a clear route into the first team when players are ready. He is supporting the sustainability of our club by helping our stars of the future whilst also developing genuine saleable assets.

Appleton was great, and his team won't be ignored or forgotten, but we have a manager who could do even more and that deserves acknowledgement.

So I guess the comment might have been better worded as .... who MAY arguably surpass Appleton not HAS arguably surpassed Appleton.

FWIW they are both great and my enjoyment is equal... so far ?

Robbo's passion, never lose it (says Mrs Robbo !!!!)
At the moment we are in a position in the football pyramid which is about where we should be with owners willing to subsidize us for upto 2.5m a year enjoy it! What is quite surprising is not many players kr puts on the pitch fail to perform. Hall did not quite make the grade.

wonder why they didnt do the red and black retro shirt......massive fans favourite that was
My favourite too and still wear it but then I get abuse from the "real" away supporters who assume I'm a part-timer.

Back
Top Bottom