General Oxford United - Reasons to be cheerful!

A positive: To see how our ex-players are doing I have to watch the Premier League and Championship highlights. A few years ago I only needed to watch Leagues One and Two.

Don't forget the Bundesliga as well.

Gorrin is massive for us. The way he knits stuff together and the ground he covers....wow! If he Cam and Henry can rediscover the magic triumvirate for the rest of the season, AND Browne continues to do the business up front with Taylor coming back in too....again....wow!

FOSBAP was a shock i the manner and timing, but we need to get it into perspective and compare to what we already and STILL have!

My son (the cheeky young scamp) turned to me after Browne's sublime finish on Saturday and said "Tariqe who?" ?

Exciting times and PLENTY to be cheerful about. COYY!
and Woodburn!!

At the moment we are in a position in the football pyramid which is about where we should be with owners willing to subsidize us for upto 2.5m a year enjoy it! What is quite surprising is not many players kr puts on the pitch fail to perform. Hall did not quite make the grade.
But still came up with a couple of blinding and a few important (in the scheme of how this seasons cup runs have gone) finishes...., Scored against Sunderland in the EFL cup - we went on to win on pens and set up the lucrative Man City game, scored the 2nd against Hayes in the FA Cup 1st round, set us on our way against Hartlepool in the FA cup 2nd round...

But still came up with a couple of blinding and a few important (in the scheme of how this seasons cup runs have gone) finishes...., Scored against Sunderland in the EFL cup - we went on to win on pens and set up the lucrative Man City game, scored the 2nd against Hayes in the FA Cup 1st round, set us on our way against Hartlepool in the FA cup 2nd round...
I agree I have not criticized Hall this season he just has not quite done enough to be a regular.

Behave. Appleton gave us our own cup runs / giant killing moments, two Wembley finals and a promotion while playing superb football. Every bit as good as we’ve seen this season - 15/16 was the finest any of us had seen since the 95/96 campaign. We might be moving in a positive direction and enjoying some very good moments, but to say Appleton’s achievements might have already been surpassed by two mid-table finishes and a current position of eighth - the same position Appleton took us to at the end of the first season back in L1 - is ridiculous.

People’s eagerness to forget the great times Appleton ended up giving us astounds me. It is possible to support the current regime without trying so hard to put past ones in the bin.

Appleton was great don’t get me wrong, we’ve had two great managers
However what we are seeing now is another level of standard ad quality
Appleton’s achievements were largely at L2 level. If he hadn’t have left I’m sure he would have got us to where we are now.

Henry out for tomorrow, gone for another thigh scan ☹
Precautionary and very sensible too. It is his other thigh that was feeling tight apparently. Said it before and I will say it again, we need a fully fit Henry, Brannagan and Gorrin in our midfield if we are to be in the mix at the end of the season. I thought at times on Saturday that the game passed Henry by...maybe this explains why!

I like this thread. Here are a few, big and small.

Three lads with Oxfordshire accents in first team squad.

Togetherness and team spirit. Attitude good. No primadonnas.

Training set up right up there with the best.

The match day programme is really good.

Comms team, Kath, Rosie, ticket office staff - all bleed yellow.

The family area being noticeably busier and not just for the cup games.

The Academy under Dan Harris and his team - everything about that impresses.

For all his foibles Karl Robinson and his approach to the game. This league is full of boring pragmatists, KR has soul.

Above all, the football we're playing. When on song we've not seen anything like it since the glory days.
Agree with all of that and yes from the other side, I have noticed how busy the family area is now. Very good news. Hopefully there will be a lot more STs sold in that area next season.

Gorrin is massive for us. The way he knits stuff together and the ground he covers....wow! If he Cam and Henry can rediscover the magic triumvirate for the rest of the season, AND Browne continues to do the business up front with Taylor coming back in too....again....wow!
Still a really good midfield (I reckon the best midfield we have had since Hebberd, Houghton. Phillip's era)
If you take Gorrin, Brannagan, Henry. Thorne and Kelly.

We have lost very few matches at home!
I bet this could be the least ever at this stage of the season

Couple of days late.......
.......but the statto in me can't help but point out that in 2003/04 (which was the Atkins - Rix season), we actually only lost one league game at home all season.
(we were rubbish away though, so didn't get anywhere.......)

As for reasons to be cheerful?
How about the fact that League One is absurdly competitive this season, with no truly outstanding teams but at least 11 teams still in with a shout, including us. So the next few weeks is going to bring us big game, after big game, after big game throughout the division. It's a fun league to be playing in, in 2019/20!

I hope enough fans now realize it's already a good season even after Fosu/Baptiste Gate!

• Yellows Forum - all human life is here (and some that isn't!)
  • RadOx coverage of OUFC - in particular, as an exile, the 'Pre match' and 'Extra Time' shows are essential (and enjoyable) listening for me. I occasionally sample the coverage that other clubs get, and nothing comes close to RadOx. I know some folks think they give the club an easy ride. I disagree. I think they strike a good balance - supporting the local Football League club, while at the same time retaining journalistic credibility.

Reasons to be cheerful: for the big games we can still make an atmosphere.

the stadium looks funky with electronic advertising and we should have it forever and the stadium debate will disappear

Back
Top Bottom