Conference Oxford City

Yes, definitely there will be a few that slip the net and but for injuries your brother might have been one. You say though that he rejected a pro contract in favour of going non league but there lies the crux of it, perhaps he just didn't have the desire to chase the dream of playing professionally. That isn't a criticism, that's just stating a fact that having that well worn phrase 'hunger and desire' is a massive part of being a professional, perhaps more than us fans realise. I don't doubt for a minute that there are lots - probably a fair few at the level Oxford City have just come from - that are technically superior to many that have made it a league or two higher up but don't have the fight to comeback from a set back or two, be it an injury or rejection.

My comment earlier on that I didn't think any from City could make it at L1 (where we are) was based more on my observation yesterday that none looked technically up to it at that level - never mind the desire, which obviously I can't comment on. It is quite hard to tell because the pace is so much slower but when you watch a L1 game and then a National League South game it looks a world of difference to me - touch, speed of play etc. Fitness obviously plays a part and that would clearly act as a bit of a leveller if a few at NLS were training full time in L1.
Obviously I'm commenting on a single case here, but it wasn't a desire issue, he worked bloody hard and wanted it, but circumstances at that point in his life meant he took the path that he did. There will be a lot of players that have a 'sliding doors' kind of moment in their early careers, and once you are working as well as being paid for playing semi-pro, a full-time contract in a League 2 side isn't as attractive as many would think.

He's the City Sporting Director, and has worked bloody hard following the fall-out from the American businessman disaster that nearly closed the club, it's awesome seeing all the effort come together.
Somehow I didn't know that, congratulations to him, sounds like an incredible story and what football is really all about. Does he also support Oxford United?

Somehow I didn't know that, congratulations to him, sounds like an incredible story and what football is really all about. Does he also support Oxford United?
He was a supporter growing up and still has a fondness for the club, but as he was playing every Saturday, then he was Oxford City Manager before moving into the boardroom, he's obviously with City every weekend. Last game I can remember him attending was our 2-1 win away at the scum (the Rob Hall game), and he celebrated every bit as enthusiastically as the rest of us.

I can remember him getting a fair bit of stick on here (or the Ox Mail forum that preceded this) when City beat us in a pre-season game and he had a bit of a slanging match with Chris Wilder afterwards :ROFLMAO:

Will be interesting to see the change in ST and ticket costs, this is from this season

Season-tickets-1920w.jpg

MATCHDAY-1920w.jpg

Flexi-Tickets-1920w.jpg

I understand that the OCFC players were being picked up from CPF at 02.45 this morning for a flight to a pre-booked holiday destination somewhere warm. This was booked before knowledge that they would be in the play-off final. Given that they would have been having a smashing time for about 10 hours before that pick-up time, it would be interesting to see how many of them were allowed on the plane........

I understand that the OCFC players were being picked up from CPF at 02.45 this morning for a flight to a pre-booked holiday destination somewhere warm. This was booked before knowledge that they would be in the play-off final. Given that they would have been having a smashing time for about 10 hours before that pick-up time, it would be interesting to see how many of them were allowed on the plane........

Going to Ibiza to celebrate.

Care to name who you think could play L1 football from watching City yesterday ? Nothing about being expert, that's just my opinion. We - you included - are all experts on here if giving an opinion is the remit for being one !
I wonder who of our 2010 Play off winning squad could have made the step up to L1 in hindsight? Utd were an established side of course having spent 4 years in that league but even then largely rebuilt for L2. A few 'heros' like Matt Green and Jack Midson didn't quite cut it for Oxford but moved on and established themselves well at other clubs so its largely subjective in what might have or could happen in such circumstances. Always thought Alfie Potter had great potential at the time.

Looking at the National League for next year
it seems a much more "traditional" non-league with Wrexham and Notts County both escaping to L2. Oldham, Southend, Rochdale and Hartlepool are notable recent ex-league teams, though York and Chesterfield will also see themselves as some of the bigger clubs in the division.

I dunno - both Rochdale and Hartlepool played their first season in the football league in 1921-22. That's the same season as Wrexham.
The only reason it might feel more traditional is because Notts County, one of the twelve founding members of the football league, are back in it. But otherwise, it's just two teams with 100+ years of football league history replacing two others with the same!

It'll only be more 'traditional' from my perspective when we start replacing the likes of Crawley and Harrogate with some of the teams on your list (and all of them could probably rightly view us as whipper-snappers! The 'youngest' of those football league clubs is York City, and they started playing in it more than 30 years before we did!)

I dunno - both Rochdale and Hartlepool played their first season in the football league in 1921-22. That's the same season as Wrexham.
The only reason it might feel more traditional is because Notts County, one of the twelve founding members of the football league, are back in it. But otherwise, it's just two teams with 100+ years of football league history replacing two others with the same!

It'll only be more 'traditional' from my perspective when we start replacing the likes of Crawley and Harrogate with some of the teams on your list (and all of them could probably rightly view us as whipper-snappers! The 'youngest' of those football league clubs is York City, and they started playing in it more than 30 years before we did!)

What I meant is the national league has more village / small town teams next season like Fylde and Bromley and Eastleigh. So what I call small clubs who don’t have a natural following of more than a few thousand at the best of times.

What I meant is the national league has more village / small town teams next season like Fylde and Bromley and Eastleigh. So what I call small clubs who don’t have a natural following of more than a few thousand at the best of times.

I get what you mean.

Maidenhead
Altrincham
Dorking
Solihull Moors
Gateshead
Wealdstone
Dagenham
Eastleigh
Bromley
Boreham Wood
Barnet
AFC Fylde
Ebbsfleet
Aldershot
Woking
Kidderminster
Oxford city

Are all small clubs who average under 3000 support.

Only

Chesterfield
Oldham
Southend (may be going bust before the season)
York
Hartlepool
Rochdale

Average more than 3k

Loosing Wrexham, Notts county , Scunthorpe, Yeovil and Torquay out of the league has made it a much more level playing field.

Ah, gotcha!

In this year's case, though, that's more because three of the better supported teams departed the conference in the wrong direction!

Two seasons ago Catlin was on loan temporarily at Oxford city & Goodram was on loan at Slough Town.

They now have an agreement with Fulham, a loan understanding, with their development.
Fulham u21 Olly Sanderson scored a couple of crucial goals for them, but that's about the only player they mutually agreed a call back loan on. Obviously Fulham want their youngsters to be on the pitch, not on the bench, which is problematic if you have a squad playing well. Interesting to see if this agreement remains.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom