General Overrated/Underrated Players

Over rated: that keeper from Arsenal who let in three at Port Vale and then passed off again.
Yeah, whatever happened to him?...

3097.jpg

This may seem a strange one for Under-rated ... but Trevor Hebbard.

For me and many others he will be one of the all time greats. But did we appreciate just how good he was?

As mentioned here before, Brian Glanville of The Times thought he should have been in the England World Cup squad. And if he had played, then of course we would have won the World Cup, because his long legs would have got a tackle in on Maradona when he went through our midfield!!

This may seem a strange one for Under-rated ... but Trevor Hebbard.

For me and many others he will be one of the all time greats. But did we appreciate just how good he was?

As mentioned here before, Brian Glanville of The Times thought he should have been in the England World Cup squad. And if he had played, then of course we would have won the World Cup, because his long legs would have got a tackle in on Maradona when he went through our midfield!!
So underrated in fact you've forgotten how to spell his name 😉

Absolute club legend. Wonderful footballer.

He never really developed the rest of his game to the same level in my view. He went on to Forest from us but only made 25 appearances in three seasons and never really regained his career from there. He had so much pace to get round people but for an attacking player didn't score much. Don't get me wrong he had his moments.
He played 23 games in the premier league in his first season at Forest then just had loan spells at various clubs without ever settling at any.

Highly controversial I know, but think Maguane is overrated. Compare him with Brannigan and the influence, consistency and output is miles apart, and without a shadow of a doubt MM is more talented. He has the athletic and technical ability;, he's been given a chance in a number of positions now in a 2 and a 3 in the middle, and despite being excellent for 15 games at the start of both this season and last i personally think he's massively, massively, flattered to deceive. His output his awful, and yes yes i know 'he's a 'DM' .............but he's hardly Claude Makelele is he? (who btw has a similar goals games ratio)
The 'he makes us' tick thing i don't buy either. He's playing now and we are not ticking.
Not saying he's rubbish, far from it, and he gets in out best 11 of course, but personally i don't get the hype.

Overrated - Phil Whelan, Nigel Jemson (overrated by himself), Dan Crowley, Paul Tait.

Underrated - David Smith, Arjan Van Heusden, Sam Ricketts, Simon Marsh.

Highly controversial I know, but think Maguane is overrated. Compare him with Brannigan and the influence, consistency and output is miles apart, and without a shadow of a doubt MM is more talented. He has the athletic and technical ability;, he's been given a chance in a number of positions now in a 2 and a 3 in the middle, and despite being excellent for 15 games at the start of both this season and last i personally think he's massively, massively, flattered to deceive. His output his awful, and yes yes i know 'he's a 'DM' .............but he's hardly Claude Makelele is he? (who btw has a similar goals games ratio)
The 'he makes us' tick thing i don't buy either. He's playing now and we are not ticking.
Not saying he's rubbish, far from it, and he gets in out best 11 of course, but personally i don't get the hype.
Aye he’s stylish and elegant but so is Kate Moss ... he’s a really good player but I can’t help thinking he should be contributing more. Recently good teams have absolutely dominated our midfield and he must bear a share of that.

Also under-rated: John Byrne. I think pretty much everyone rated him at the time tbh, but he seldom seems to get mentioned by anyone these days. Absolute class.
Totally agree, I often mention him when referring to some of my favourite players from the 90's

I also fondly remember him being sent off for literally beating the s**t out a Peterborough player at the manor :ROFLMAO:

Totally agree, I often mention him when referring to some of my favourite players from the 90's

I also fondly remember him being sent off for literally beating the s**t out a Peterborough player at the manor :ROFLMAO:

John Byrne is probably the last player to play for us who wore cowboy boots (not to play, he wore normal football boots for that) but they must be due a comeback so could we see Rodrigues breaking that long barren run?

Overrated - Kitson, Crowley.
underrated - Murphy & Bulman. How Wilder let the latter leave is beyond me.

A player that doesn’t get much of a mention in these type of discussions is Dean Saunders, so I’m nominating him for the underrated category, even though he was a popular player at the time he’s become a little bit of a forgotten man.

Probably inevitably and unfairly got compared to Aldridge, but as a player I really liked him. Good goal scorer.

A player that doesn’t get much of a mention in these type of discussions is Dean Saunders, so I’m nominating him for the underrated category, even though he was a popular player at the time he’s become a little bit of a forgotten man.

Probably inevitably and unfairly got compared to Aldridge, but as a player I really liked him. Good goal scorer.

Pity he is rubbish at punditry.

Back
Top Bottom