General Overrated/Underrated Players

You certainly don't like homegrown players !
Chris Allen was excellent for us as a flying winger , Josh,Sam always been solid but nothing overboard, Callum a class young player.
Arendse/Kee were never rated
Phil 'God ' was quality.
I agree Chrissy Allen was overrated to be fair. He was super quick, really quick, but because he was so quick he didn't really develop the rest of his game to the same level and essentially just had his pace.

On Nigel Jemson, I think most rated him as a player but were unimpressed as he was a bit of a c*ck.

Told me to f**k off at a Quarry Rovers players awards do, although I was a teenager so chance I wasn't innocent of any wrong doing.

Chris Allen was excellent for us as a flying winger , Josh,Sam always been solid but nothing overboard, Callum a class young player.
Phil 'God ' was quality.
I can't speak for Jason N but it might not be a case of not liking them but rather that a fair few supporters go over the top on them, even in the summer there were people claiming GOD was already a good League 1 player, people sometimes talk about Golding and Johnson coming into the squad etc. Natural thing as there is more of an attachment to them and it's a big part of the emotion of the game but it means that some fans who look at them more dispassionately can appear negative.

My answer to the underrated question is also Rothwell as I said on the original thread. Absolute class act who suffered from a few injuries as well as us having some very good midfielders at he club meaning he never got a run in central midfield as he was more capable of playing out of position than Lunny and Lego. We definitely didn't get the best out of him. Also Anderson was underrated last season I thought. Got hung out to dry at Wycombe and when Robinson blamed him it became OK for others to pile in and support the narrative that he couldn't defend, despite the fact that a couple of weeks earlier he had dealt pretty well with Martinelli when we played Arsenal. Also great fun to watch.

I can't speak for Jason N but it might not be a case of not liking them but rather that a fair few supporters go over the top on them, even in the summer there were people claiming GOD was already a good League 1 player, people sometimes talk about Golding and Johnson coming into the squad etc. Natural thing as there is more of an attachment to them and it's a big part of the emotion of the game but it means that some fans who look at them more dispassionately can appear negative.

My answer to the underrated question is also Rothwell as I said on the original thread. Absolute class act who suffered from a few injuries as well as us having some very good midfielders at he club meaning he never got a run in central midfield as he was more capable of playing out of position than Lunny and Lego. We definitely didn't get the best out of him. Also Anderson was underrated last season I thought. Got hung out to dry at Wycombe and when Robinson blamed him it became OK for others to pile in and support the narrative that he couldn't defend, despite the fact that a couple of weeks earlier he had dealt pretty well with Martinelli when we played Arsenal. Also great fun to watch.
Just the majority of his choices happen to be homegrown that's all.
And while all supported when have the named players really been over rated ?
Seems a hell of a lot of other players could have been chosen rather than just focus on them

Underrated for me probably Jimmy Phillips , a class left back.
Over rated more recently Shodipo ...got goals but as a wide player never beat his man.
Peter Fear was expected to be a great signing and was over rated until you saw him play.
Colin Greenall never produced what was expected after a decent sized fee.
Eddie Hutchinson ....expected a midfield General
Andy Scott and Robert Quinn ...decent money spent to save us but both pretty underwhelming.

Underrated for me probably Jimmy Phillips , a class left back.
Over rated more recently Shodipo ...got goals but as a wide player never beat his man.
Peter Fear was expected to be a great signing and was over rated until you saw him play.
Colin Greenall never produced what was expected after a decent sized fee.
Eddie Hutchinson ....expected a midfield General
Andy Scott and Robert Quinn ...decent money spent to save us but both pretty underwhelming.

Agreed on Jimmy Phillips, a fine player.

Phil 'God ' was quality.
Nope, not at all, I love to see home-grown talent come through.

In fact my all-time favourite players were home-grown, but were not overrated, because they were actually very good at the time: Joey, Jamie Brooks, Paul Powell, Bobby Ford, Matty Taylor, Baptiste

There are loads home-grown players that I've loved seeing come through: Hackett, James Clarke, Sam Ricketts, Dean Whitehead, Simon King, Simon Marsh

My opinion of the ones chose above:

Josh Ruffels: A machine, good going forward but no so good getting back when he'd left the space behind him. Often left standing by decent wingers.

Sam Long: I like a lot, great pro, I just feel he is overrated. He has been at the club for many years and is good to have in the squad. Good Defender, not quick enough as fullback, not so good going forward. Better suited as a centre back.

Callum O'Dowda; Again very excited when he came into the team and proved to be a valuable member of the squad. He was unstoppable on his day, he had every attribute to be a top player, but he wasn't consistent enough. For me, he and his father had an over-inflated opinion of him. I'd love to have seen him stay but hated the way he left. So yes, over-rated mainly due to attitude.

Chrissy Allen: Loved watching him play, lightening quick but very little end product, was well shocked when he went to Forest for £400k.

As @Joey indicated, supporters, me included, do tend to be over enthusiastic over home-grown players, hence why I listed those 4 or 5 out of dozens' of players I've seen come through the ranks.

Last edited:
Nope, not at all, I love to see home-grown talent come through.

In fact my all-time favourite players were home-grown, but were not overrated, because they were actually very good at the time: Joey, Jamie Brooks, Paul Powell, Bobby Ford, Matty Taylor, Baptiste

There are loads home-grown players that I've loved seeing come through: Hackett, James Clarke, Sam Ricketts, Dean Whitehead, Simon King, Simon Marsh

My opinion of the ones chose above:

Josh Ruffels: A machine, good going forward but no so good getting back when he'd left the space behind him. Often left standing by decent wingers.

Sam Long: I like a lot, great pro, I just feel he is overrated. He has been at the club for many years and is good to have in the squad. Good Defender, not quick enough as fullback, not so good going forward. Better suited as a centre back.

Callum O'Dowda; Again very excited when he came into the team and proved to be a valuable member of the squad. He was unstoppable on his day, he had every attribute to be a top player, but he wasn't consistent enough. For me, he and his father had an over-inflated opinion of him. I'd love to have seen him stay but hated the way he left. So yes, over-rated mainly due to attitude.

Chrissy Allen: Loved watching him play, lightening quick but very little end product, was well shocked when he went to Forest for £400k.

As @Joey indicated, supporters, me included, do tend to be over enthusiastic over home-grown players, hence why I listed those 4 or 5 out of dozens' of players I've seen come through the ranks.
Agree with much of what you have written, just don't think they are over rated or built up that's all .

Steve Anthrobus easily worst striker.
Trevor Aylott not much better

Agree with much of what you have written, just don't think they are over rated or built up that's all .
Fair enough, Josh Ruffels was rated highly enough to earn the fans "player of the season" ahead of Brannagan, Dickie, an in form James Henry and Gavin white.

Fair enough, Josh Ruffels was rated highly enough to earn the fans "player of the season" ahead of Brannagan, Dickie, an in form James Henry and Gavin white.
He had had a very good season, converted from midfielder into a very consistent left back who chipped in with some late pretty spectacular goals .
Don't think that means he was over rated though ...and ended up going and playing in the Championship so not exactly a Liam Kelly type on a very much downward career curve who we thought we were getting a Championship standard midfielder but he disappointed and dropped even lower.

He had had a very good season, converted from midfielder into a very consistent left back who chipped in with some late pretty spectacular goals .
Don't think that means he was over rated though ...and ended up going and playing in the Championship so not exactly a Liam Kelly type on a very much downward career curve who we thought we were getting a Championship standard midfielder but he disappointed and dropped even lower.
I know he was a shortarse, but ...

Back
Top Bottom