Academy Players Stepping Up

Jon-ioualways

I think that it's pretty amazing that Graham Atkinson, who made his first-team debut for the Mighty Yellows in early September 1959, held the record for the youngest player (16 years 108 days) to play for the first team for 60 years. That record has since been broken three times in four years, by Tyler Goodrham, Gatlin O'Donkor, and Louis Griffiths. That speaks volumes about the strength of our current Academy. Long may it last.

Yes, hard to tell whether Wilder etc. didn't want to play youth or they just aren't up to the standard they are now, but it's very exciting to be a club that is regularly turning out first time quality players from the academy. The kind of sustainability that, paired with a new stadium, could mean the difference between reaching the championship and staying there rather than going up and plummetting straight back down (as happens so often)

Yes, hard to tell whether Wilder etc. didn't want to play youth or they just aren't up to the standard they are now, but it's very exciting to be a club that is regularly turning out first time quality players from the academy. The kind of sustainability that, paired with a new stadium, could mean the difference between reaching the championship and staying there rather than going up and plummetting straight back down (as happens so often)
I think Wilder saw his job on the line to achieve in the league, and blooding youngsters for a bit of experience was too much of a risk.

Looking at Tyrone Marsh as an example he made 3 starts and 12 sub appearances over two seasons.

I think Wilder saw his job on the line to achieve in the league, and blooding youngsters for a bit of experience was too much of a risk.

Looking at Tyrone Marsh as an example he made 3 starts and 12 sub appearances over two seasons.

On Tyrone Marsh I think Wilder called it right, he has had a good NL career with I think the odd spell in L2. But that is after getting experience and developing up to it.

I suspect the quality just wasn't there in the Academy at the time with maybe the odd exception who have played lower league since. Alex Fisher had to develop through the Glenn Hoddle Academy before making the step.

Was Max Crocombe here under Wilder?

On Tyrone Marsh I think Wilder called it right, he has had a good NL career with I think the odd spell in L2. But that is after getting experience and developing up to it.

I suspect the quality just wasn't there in the Academy at the time with maybe the odd exception who have played lower league since. Alex Fisher had to develop through the Glenn Hoddle Academy before making the step.

Was Max Crocombe here under Wilder?
Looking back through the squads I think these were the youth player "graduates" whilst Wilder was manager
Matt Taylor
Alex Fisher
Aaron Woodley
Tyrone Marsh
Sam Long

Perhaps we are starting to see the fruits laid by the Dan Harris years.?

I agree that it looks like Dan built a pretty good, resilient, system although I would have perhaps said "fruits from the orchard Dan Harris established". Nobody lays fruit, nor does any beast.

Looking back through the squads I think these were the youth player "graduates" whilst Wilder was manager
Matt Taylor
Alex Fisher
Aaron Woodley
Tyrone Marsh
Sam Long

2 were certainly good enough albeit years later. I think this reinforces that Wilder was right in hindsight.

I agree that it looks like Dan built a pretty good, resilient, system although I would have perhaps said "fruits from the orchard Dan Harris established". Nobody lays fruit, nor does any beast.
Fruits of one’s labor dear boy.

I think that it's pretty amazing that Graham Atkinson, who made his first-team debut for the Mighty Yellows in early September 1959, held the record for the youngest player (16 years 108 days) to play for the first team for 60 years. That record has since been broken three times in four years, by Tyler Goodrham, Gatlin O'Donkor, and Louis Griffiths. That speaks volumes about the strength of our current Academy. Long may it last.
No pressure on Griffiths after the last two!

Back
Top Bottom