General Overrated/Underrated Players

IsleofWightYellow

The thread on Players since 2015/16 got me thinking about Overrated and Underrated Oxford United players (when they were at Oxford), a subject I find interesting.

To be clear, by ‘Overrated’ I mean that you don’t think they’re quite as good as the general view of them seems to be - it doesn’t at all mean they’re a bad player. In the same way, ‘Underrated’ doesn’t mean that they’re a great or even good player necessarily, just not as bad as most people seem to think.

For me, some random examples would be:

Underrated:

Marcus McGuane, Dan Agyei, Johnny Mullins, Ryan Ledson, Brandon Barker, Phil Trainer, Craig Davies, Rob Atkinson, Mide Shodipo, Djavan Anderson

Overrated:

I cant bring myself to put who I want to put on this list as I know it will cause outrage

The thread on Players since 2015/16 got me thinking about Overrated and Underrated Oxford United players (when they were at Oxford), a subject I find interesting.

To be clear, by ‘Overrated’ I mean that you don’t think they’re quite as good as the general view of them seems to be - it doesn’t at all mean they’re a bad player. In the same way, ‘Underrated’ doesn’t mean that they’re a great or even good player necessarily, just not as bad as most people seem to think.

Is this after a win or a defeat?

Underrated:

Dan Agyei, Ryan Taylor (a little), Tyler Goodrham, love the Phil the Power Trainer shout, Mark Sykes (due to way he left maybe), Josh Ruffels, James Henry (ultimate pro), Ahmed Kashi, Ryan Williams, Ciaron Brown, Tcham Ntoya

Overrated:

Alex Rodriguez Gorrin, Malachi Napa, Ben Woodburn, Jamie Mackie (once legs went) can't think of anyone else

I remember a french centre half a few seasons ago who used to ping really accurate passes into midfield and then got a bad injury and we never saw him again just as he was getting really popular. Any body remember his name?

Underrated:

Dan Agyei, Ryan Taylor (a little), Tyler Goodrham, love the Phil the Power Trainer shout, Mark Sykes (due to way he left maybe), Josh Ruffels, James Henry (ultimate pro), Ahmed Kashi, Ryan Williams, Ciaron Brown, Tcham Ntoya

Overrated:

Alex Rodriguez Gorrin, Malachi Napa, Ben Woodburn, Jamie Mackie (once legs went) can't think of anyone else
Not sure anyone really rated Mackie particularly highly did they? Having said that he’s worth it for the Bradford goal.

Underrated
Kerri Evans, Anton Rogan, Paul Powell (not sure he was underrated by Oxford fans but could have achieved so much more), Josh Ruffels

Overrated
Chrissy Allen (sure some will disagree), Dave Savage, Tommy Mooney,

Overrated: some of the players who come through our youth system and are then lauded because they are “one of our own.” Tyler and Shandon are exceptions to a general rule.

Underrated: Lee Molyneaux

And then I'm doing to do it. I'm going to say it.

*takes deep breath*

Overrated: Kemar Roofe

Absolutely not because I don't think he was a fantastic player for us - he undoubtedly was - and not because I'm not grateful for his contribution, or that I don't remember his time fondly.

It's because I don't, in my opinion, think he was our best player for us in that promotion season. I think his performances in the cups - obvious one being Swansea - masked a few average performances in big league games where I felt he went missing a bit.

I felt he could and should have been even better than he was.

Under-rated: Nigel Jemson (in his first spell with us). Thought he was a really clever forward, but there seemed to be quite a few fans that were a little unimpressed by him.

Also under-rated: John Byrne. I think pretty much everyone rated him at the time tbh, but he seldom seems to get mentioned by anyone these days. Absolute class.

Underrated: Marvin Johnson, Joe Rothwell, Liam Sercombe, Asa Hall, Rob Hall (permanent spell), Paul Mclaren, Matt Green, Alex Mowatt

Overrated: Sam Long, Alex Gorrin, Rob Hall (loan spells), Luke Mcnally (great potential, but still shaky defensively for us), Josh Ruffels, Dan Agyei

Underrated: Brian Wilsterman. He shat the bed against Swindon yes, but everyone seems to forget we played in the current Championship and he himself played at a high enough level through his career. And he was IMMENSE in the surprise win away at Birmingham (same season as the 0-7). Leo Roget and Andy Whing were both actively booed by our fans in their first season, but eventually grew into decent players.

Overrated: Sam Long dines out on one good season for us, if he wasn't local he'd be given pretty short shrift here. Luke Garbutt didn't impress me like he promised to. Also that big-headed pr*ck from Arsenal who was sent home pretty swiftly.

Underrated: Lee Molyneaux

And then I'm doing to do it. I'm going to say it.

*takes deep breath*

Overrated: Kemar Roofe

Absolutely not because I don't think he was a fantastic player for us - he undoubtedly was - and not because I'm not grateful for his contribution, or that I don't remember his time fondly.

It's because I don't, in my opinion, think he was our best player for us in that promotion season. I think his performances in the cups - obvious one being Swansea - masked a few average performances in big league games where I felt he went missing a bit.

I felt he could and should have been even better than he was.
I don’t think there’s anything too controversial about saying that you don’t think Roofe was our best player in 15/16 when you look at that squad. What a team.

One caveat might be that Roofe was a bit broken in the last third of the season. A mixture of injury and playing so many games (including the last half of the previous season) for us when he was still relatively new to mens football.

We’ve seen since that his body isn’t perhaps the strongest, given the amount of injuries he’s had at other clubs.

But you’ve said he was both an important and fantastic player for us, so think your view on the matter is completely fair even if folk don’t necessarily agree.

Back
Top Bottom