General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 18000 is a starting point in negotiations and secretly the Board are willing to compromise down to 15000 following the inevitable objections.

Yeah, I can imagine Mr Angry of Kidlington will give up his objection to a 45 acre sports and leisure complex when he finds out that we're dropping the size of the stands by 3 rows all round!!!

Thanks for the kind words, @Oxford Bee. I miss Griffin Park and the visits there. Hope you’re enjoying your new ground.

A few minor corrections to your write up.

Kassam never sold to a supporters’ group and the club has never been fan owned. He kept the stadium and the various surrounds that his company Firoka still owns today. Oxford United are tenants in the stadium.

Robert Maxwell was no longer chairman by the time he died. His family was deeply involved though and rumour has it that he called the shots here anyway. There were financial troubles as a result of the fallout of his death but these weren’t part of the problems of finishing the stadium.

Robin Herd was chairman when the new stadium was first mooted, designed and building work began. Well meaning but not financially strong enough to finish it, the club started a free fall that took a long time to recover from. Kassam came in and finished what Herd had started. However, by now instead of hosting second division football when ground was broken on the new stadium, Oxford had plunged to the fourth tier. Their first season at the Kassam was a dismal 21st place position.

The Manor Ground and it’s lucrative land was sold to one of Firoz Kassam’s own companies, costing the club a fair wedge of money. Whether Kassam used any of the ‘proceeds’ to finish the Kassam Stadium is debatable.
Many thanks for the corrections. I wasn't 100% sure of some of the facts, which is why I posted this on Yellows Forum.

Like you say those that have been fans of the Bees for many years also miss Griffin Park. It was great that the Bees Supporters club negotiated with the pub owners and police years ago there were to be no exclusive home fans only pubs, so for me it was all part of the craic each home game to mix with the away fans before the game. Brentford fans generally accept that we had to move on, but given that, the owner has done a brilliant job with the overall layout of the new stadium in having the front row of all sides of the ground close to the playing pitch, mirroring as close as they could Griffin Park in that respect, and much like the Manor was. Hence, although the stadium holds 17,250 (not big by the standards of most of the Premier League), a great atmosphere can be generated. Too many stadiums (Reading is a good example) are I think too big for the club unless they are in the Premier League.

When your new ground is built, I will definitely be looking to come to your home games when I'm not watching Brentford. All the best for promotion this season. My guess is that you look as though you should at least make the playoffs.

By the way, Shandon Baptiste is one helluva player as long as he can stay fit. But I guess you guys already knew that judging by the comments made when we bought him off you.

But I do remember at the two bowls of the New York stadium and the Keepmoat the singing reverberates around the stadium and gives the feeling of a great atmosphere, but then again Stadium MK is a different kettle of fish.
The Keepmoat is dreadful. Pitch too far from the stands. Rotherham’s ground is however first class.

I think it was mentioned previously on this thread that they will stay there but if as you are suggesting there future lies elsewhere unless OUFC are prepared to pay for that you can be rest assured that will be one hell of a hurdle to overcome.
I’m not. I have no idea, but the plan looks bereft of cricket pitches, unless the rugby pitches will double up during the summer months.

The provision of facilities of equivalent or enhanced standard for the existing tenants is a prerequisite of any agreement, so OUFC will have already factored in the costs of such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what previous owners like Merry, Thomas, Eales think of this? It'll be interesting to know the thoughts of Methven and Donald too just out if interest.

They all tried but this is easily the most advanced stage it's gotten too.

I’m not. I have no idea, but the plan looks bereft of cricket pitches, unless the rugby pitches will double up during the summer months.

The provision of facilities of equivalent or enhanced standard for the existing tenements is a prerequisite of any agreement, so OUFC will have already factored in the costs of such.
On the local plan there’s a huge space near the existing cemetery in kidlington for outside sports.
i have seen it but can’t find it at the mo.

The provision of facilities of equivalent or enhanced standard for the existing tenements is a prerequisite of any agreement, so OUFC will have already factored in the costs of such.

I heard the cricket club have been looking to move for the last couple of years due to the ground conditions being too soft in the summer at that location. It could also be possible we allow the cricket club to have a pitch on the training ground land?

Sorry - trying to catch up on things here. Little Scotchers is now in favour of a move to Water Eaton? I thought it was pie in the sky!
Ah well, better the sinner that repenteth and all that. Perhaps the wee chap might learn something from all this.....
Of course, this is all subject to planning, and we should surely expect various former influential.fans group leaders, in conjunction with former local politicians, to form an action group to keep the club at the Kassam for another 25 years.
Happy days!

Hahahaha!!! The chino wonder is back! Hey Charlie. What's it like seeing a club run properly?! Guess you could learn something too!!

And I know that you get easily confused, but this isn't a farmers field in WE that you discussed in a pub, but a huge sporting complex on the other side of the road with the support of all the local authorities and is properly funded. Big difference all round!

Anyway, hope that you repent your sins and come back to supporting Oxford again. I might even get you a beer!

PS - that last minute winner by Charlton and your snivelling little response was the best thing I've seen on Netflix! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
You can add that most of the fan base loath the ground. I consider it the worst in the League. And it’s near a sewage farm, which you can smell if the wind is blowing in the right direction.
I think you will find that it is blowing in the wrong direction if it's up your nose 👃.

And I know that you get easily confused, but this isn't a farmers field in WE that you discussed in a pub, but a huge sporting complex on the other side of the road with the support of all the local authorities and is properly funded. Big difference all round!

Talking about water Eaton I have noticed on Google maps you can see developers have been digging to check for ground conditions etc, so It won't be long before 4000 homes are on the doorstep of Stratfield Brake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-205332_Maps_50_1_50.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-205332_Maps_50_1_50.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 38
You're right, Stratfield Brake has been spoken about for a long time, including the time when Charlie was talking up Water Eaton. At the time I posted, we had at least one other site that we were looking at, and I felt that would be the one we went with, hence my post.

You'll also be aware that world events changed hugely in early 2020 and that changed the picture significantly. I won't apologise for getting things wrong as I've only ever presented anything as I've seen it at the time.

But if you want to score points then jump right in.
The contrast between the Water Eaton area and Stratfield Brake playing grounds will come as quite a surprise to the members of...... Gosforth and Water Eaton Parish Council!

Sorry - trying to catch up on things here. Little Scotchers is now in favour of a move to Water Eaton? I thought it was pie in the sky!
Ah well, better the sinner that repenteth and all that. Perhaps the wee chap might learn something from all this.....
Of course, this is all subject to planning, and we should surely expect various former influential.fans group leaders, in conjunction with former local politicians, to form an action group to keep the club at the Kassam for another 25 years.
Happy days!
Fancy sorting out our prematch music at our new place?

Looking at that overhead plan I can see 1 football stadium, 3 rugby pitches, 1 rugby clubhouse, 1 ice rink, 1 ice rink clubhouse, limited car parking some of which would be for disabled persons, a covered area at the back of the stadium for smokers (hopefully). Not sure what that building on the left hand side is. And no place for cricket.
The rest somebody else can figure our. :cool:

Second thoughts. That building on the left could be an Asian style food court. Maybe. Also between the stadium and the Ice rink.

Third thoughts, On the left, an hotel?

@MarkG's concerns are entirely valid. Nothing negative or wrong with seeking answers. I cannot believe that @OxVox hasn't already received information that could help allay fears in this regard.
You like looking out information, so take a look at the deal that DC United have. That should calm your nerves.
We are committed to ensuring the club will not be left in the same position as we are in now. This is noted in our statement today. We will continue to work with all stakeholders in doing so.

Happy days!
Well, well well, the wanderer returns!

Welcome back Charlie, might we see you return to watching games as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom