New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Fun fact, Edward I (Longshanks, as played by Patrick McGoohan in Braveheart) built the largest trebuchet ever made (War Wolf), only for the Scots to surrender before it was built. At which he promptly refused the truce, sent the party back and bombed the sh*t out of the castle they were taking refuge in.

That man has pride in his equipment.

With the closure of Sandy Lane Yarton imminet-ish shouldnt KPC, CDC and OCC highways get together ( maybe with other relevant Parish councils too) to pressurise railtrack to reverse the decision to close Sandy Lane ? It would provide an additional route out of and into Kidlington (from the A44) thus at least part negating part of Oxford Road being closed and the impact on Kidlington residents

It actually goes past Chester V's house ( the closure of Saandy Lane Yarton, so he should declare a vested interest should there be a move to reverse the decision to close Sandy Lane Yarnton by the the relevant parish councils, as well as district and county council.
CDC and Network rail are being pressured by KPC and the Kidlington CDC representative's, not sure about Chester V he wants a cycle pedestrian track underpass. Rachel McClean and Nigel Simpson doing good work on this.

As @Manorlounger has already said, these discussions are already taking place with the relevant bodies. As much as Ian Middleton and his chums would like to spin it, it is not up to Oxford United Football Club to dictate what happens on the public highways. But it should be a collaborative process.

Part of my concern is that the club haven't been pro-active enough in terms of getting ahead of the wave on this, and you only have to read the nonsense from the TVP scoping response to see how outdated attitudes to football crowds can put us on the backfoot, with the anti stadium brigade latching on to it. These are the things where I feel the club's advisors should be earning their considerable fees, and at the moment I'm frustrated that they seem to have handed the anti stadium people a stick with which to beat us with. None of these things should come as a surprise to seasoned stadium design professionals, so I'm perplexed by why we find ourselves in this avoidable situation.
Us too

A bit disappointed to see that, under current arrangements I'd need to train it into Oxford first and then change to get up Oxford Parkway
I think there is a pretty regular bus service already to & from Banbury. Hopefully, this can be tweaked a bit (especially for night games) before the stadium opens & I, for one, am looking forward to using public transport which will drop me off right outside the stadium rather than having the current, somewhat tedious & time consuming, drive to the KassStad. In fact, I'm sat here applying for my bus pass as I write this!

I am not keen to say this @Colin B but, I got the impression from our visit to the exhibition and the various discussions that, communication between club, architect and others of the planning team may not have been as comprehensive and as informative as maybe could have been. I may be wrong but, the feedback I got regarding hospitality was not totally reassuring and the conversation regarding the transport/road closure issue left me with the impression that a lot of the detail had not been completed. Of course, these are early days and that's why the team want our feedback so it's good that there are so many ideas being put forward. I keep repeating myself but, it is imperative that all these ideas reach the team.

Something else, unrelated but all the same, of interest, our dear friend Mrs McIvor has visited the exhibition. Apparently, spoke to no-one and asked no questions. Had a look around and left again.
Must of found nothing of real interest to moan about then.

I think there is a pretty regular bus service already to & from Banbury. Hopefully, this can be tweaked a bit (especially for night games) before the stadium opens & I, for one, am looking forward to using public transport which will drop me off right outside the stadium rather than having the current, somewhat tedious & time consuming, drive to the KassStad. In fact, I'm sat here applying for my bus pass as I write this!
Yes, the S4 (I think?). Goes straight down the main route of Kidlington into Oxford.

Have we had any clear indication of how the stadium is being funded? Is the £100m going to be a debt against the football club?

I assume that the £100m is not going to be a 'gesture of goodwill'?
Great question and a important one

Have we had any clear indication of how the stadium is being funded? Is the £100m going to be a debt against the football club?

I assume that the £100m is not going to be a 'gesture of goodwill'?
If the football club is to own the stadium, you’d expect it to foot the bill.

Injection of capital from the owners?

Commercial finance, guaranteed by the owners?

Mix of the two?

Why not remove the bus lane on Oxford road from Kidlington roundabout to the Park way and widen the north bouund pathway running along the oxford road from the parkway to the stadium with railings separating the path from the road. The path could then split just after the a34 bridge with the left hand side carrying on towards Sainsbury's and the right side going up a slight incline to create the start of a bridge over the Oxford road straight into the triangle site.

Attachments

• 1000002740.png
    1000002740.png
    392.9 KB · Views: 16
I am not keen to say this @Colin B but, I got the impression from our visit to the exhibition and the various discussions that, communication between club, architect and others of the planning team may not have been as comprehensive and as informative as maybe could have been. I may be wrong but, the feedback I got regarding hospitality was not totally reassuring and the conversation regarding the transport/road closure issue left me with the impression that a lot of the detail had not been completed. Of course, these are early days and that's why the team want our feedback so it's good that there are so many ideas being put forward. I keep repeating myself but, it is imperative that all these ideas reach the team.

Something else, unrelated but all the same, of interest, our dear friend Mrs McIvor has visited the exhibition. Apparently, spoke to no-one and asked no questions. Had a look around and left again.
This, in a nutshell, is my worst nightmare.

When I was involved, we went through all this stuff, in forensic detail, to both prove the need and prove that it stacked up financially and was affordable to fans, all of which it did. The problem is, when you get people like Legends involved they tend to assume everything is like a Premier League club, and price it accordingly. I am going to make the effort to drive the 100 miles to the exhibition, on one of the days when the full team are there, as I have a horrible feeling that a lot of that work may have been discarded.

Could be an interesting day!

Any insight @Colin B as to whether they will include the ability to use the lights in this way? Seems pretty standard to include it in modern stadiums. Its quite a powerful way of creating a spectacle in conjunction with the big screens and something I would hate us to miss out on. The whole match day experience could be superb if we get this right.
It was certainly always the case, so I have absolutely no idea why they're now saying it can't be done. This was my bread and butter, and it 100% can be done!

Fun fact, Edward I (Longshanks, as played by Patrick McGoohan in Braveheart) built the largest trebuchet ever made (War Wolf), only for the Scots to surrender before it was built. At which he promptly refused the truce, sent the party back and bombed the sh*t out of the castle they were taking refuge in.

Classic Longshanks! What a bastard he was.

This, in a nutshell, is my worst nightmare.

When I was involved, we went through all this stuff, in forensic detail, to both prove the need and prove that it stacked up financially and was affordable to fans, all of which it did. The problem is, when you get people like Legends involved they tend to assume everything is like a Premier League club, and price it accordingly. I am going to make the effort to drive the 100 miles to the exhibition, on one of the days when the full team are there, as I have a horrible feeling that a lot of that work may have been discarded.

Could be an interesting day!

Worth a word in NMcW’s ear?

This too has been a concern of me. Starting with the premise of a bridge and relegating that to a road closure puts the club on the back foot, for example. Both pro and anti stadium types will have legitimate reason to ask what else is going to be compromised on. Controlling the narrative is very important here - let too many mistakes creep in and it starts to undermine everybody’s efforts.

I’m not worried yet but the exposing of errors is concerning.

View attachment 16226

Forgive the grainy quality but this was the graphic of the bridge when the club held the first round of public events regarding the stadium in the summer. It seemed to situate the pedestrian bridge further up Oxford Road and beyond the A34 below it so that pedestrians could cross into the south east corner of the new development.

I'm no civil engineer (although I have worked with plenty), but from a building perspective a footbridge like this would be relatively inexpensive to do since you see them over railway lines often. However, from an inclusivity perspective its a no go since there's no provision for those with pushchairs, on bicycles or those with reduced mobility. It would also have to be large enough to accommodate a large number of people going over it post match.

The second issue is that it funnels everyone leaving towards the station along the narrow footpath on the eastern side of Oxford Road back to the station. That could see people spill out onto the road unless carefully managed. PRB said to me that they were considering a bridge similar to that crossing the ring road in Cutteslowe. That's quite a large structure and you wonder whether we have the space - and more importantly permissions - to include something like that.

An underpass would have the same issues because it would be outrageously expensive to tunnel under the A34 and Oxford Road.

I hope the club have a solution or two up their sleeve as this to me still feels like a compromise based on what was suggested. Still, if they can build a stadium in that tiny slot of land for Brentford, anything is still possible.
Can remember be shepherded along something like that, at the York game.
When the wall collapsed.

Haven’t read anything since last night concerning the stadium.
But thoght back to having to wait numerous times at the gates closing at steventon to get to truck festival, back in the day.
Editors, Biffy, Seafood and Arthur Turners Lovechild some of the highlights

We can run 4 way traffic lights so why not
On the stretch between roundabout and parkway,
2 way traffic, bus, pedestrian

Back
Top Bottom