New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Is that right?
What is the criteria that makes central government to call it in?
Are you suggesting that CDC make a decision in planning after which the government will rubber stamp.. or not?

The green belt issue will likely see it decided by central government from what I can gather. I'm sure the couple of planning guys on here can expand on that.

There's likely to be a general election in May next year too so we can't be certain who may look at it in central government.

A long term lease, at a peppercorn rent, with covenants and other conditions, with the County Council, is absolutely the best outcome for the club. It is most certainly not a victory for FOSB, neither have they played any part in it being the ultimate decision of OCC, much as they'd like to spin their defeat in that direction.

It doesn't hamper the current owners development aspirations, as a 250 year lease is as good as a freehold sale in that respect, but what it does do is that it protects the club, in perpetuity, against any future owners that may be less benevolent than the current ones. It means the County Council are invested and involved with the well-being of the club for the duration of the lease.

It's a massive win win.

The green belt issue will likely see it decided by central government from what I can gather. I'm sure the couple of planning guys on here can expand on that.

There's likely to be a general election in May next year too so we can't be certain who may look at it in central government.
Given Kassam wants to build housing, and central government has a history of overruling in order to get houses built.

Just playing devil's advocate here, we've seen instances where clubs and councils have fallen out resulting in clubs being locked out of their stadiums. As we know, there are councillors who hold nothing but contempt for OUFC and its fans and will take great pleasure in agitating and disrupting the club and will actively seek opportunities to do that.

Owning the land outright would stop that.
I can't think of a single occasion where a couple of councillors have staged a coup
the only times that I'm aware that "clubs and councils have fallen out" is where the club owner is seeking to profit from the stadium land by building on it-or to separeate the club from its assets. Just as Kassam did with OUFC

There are far more clubs destroyed by rogue owners than by councils. Lets ask, say, Southend fans how they feel about their owners?

Given Kassam wants to build housing, and central government has a history of overruling in order to get houses built.
This is all coming together remarkably well. I am not qualified to say whether you are right or not, but your observation makes sense. If the housing need, and option to use the Kassam site to meet that helps in any way toward the new stadium being approved then that good news.

This is all coming together remarkably well. I am not qualified to say whether you are right or not, but your observation makes sense. If the housing need, and option to use the Kassam site to meet that helps in any way toward the new stadium being approved then that good news.
But Kassam is kicking us out, he'll flatten the stadium and build houses wether we have a home or not

But Kassam is kicking us out, he'll flatten the stadium and build houses wether we have a home or not

And he's already submitted the application to redevelop the bingo hall, it feels like there'll be bulldozers waiting for the final whistle of the 2025/26 season.

The secretary of state can call in any application and take it out of the hands of local government, but in reality this is quite rare 15/20 per year roughly. The criteria includes if there is significant long-term economic or housing effects beyond the local authority or it conflicts with national policy. So it’s possible but we certainly couldn’t bank on it happening in this case and need to focus on convincing CDC officers foremost. Government would of course make a final decision on an appeal if planning is refused at local level

I can't think of a single occasion where a couple of councillors have staged a coup
the only times that I'm aware that "clubs and councils have fallen out" is where the club owner is seeking to profit from the stadium land by building on it-or to separeate the club from its assets. Just as Kassam did with OUFC

There are far more clubs destroyed by rogue owners than by councils. Lets ask, say, Southend fans how they feel about their owners?

There have been occasions with Councils such as Barnet whose Councillors liked rugby and disliked football. They made things impossible for Barnet at Underhill over a fair number of years including stopping Barnet getting access (that they'd used for just about ever) over Council land behind the away end for emergency vehicles.

Barnet tried to get permission to develop the local Athletic stadium so they could use that (along with the Athletics). The Council said it wasn't appropriate for a professional sports team as it wasn't suitable for the crowds iirc. A few years later the same Council approached and offered that site to Saracens who get bigger crowds and still play there.

Barnet had to move out of the borough to their present site which was originally going to be Wealdstone's new ground/sports facility.

I'm not saying that will happen here but it does happen and that Barnet isn't a unique situation. That said as long as protections both ways are put in place then those risks should be mitigated anyway.

Going back to the FOUL days and something that gave FOUL HUGE power was a threat. That threat was to directly stand against negative cllrs in local elections.

They S**T themselves at that. the idea of a concerted and large noisy group standing against them. Its enough to knock the political stability or apathy that exists.

FOSB have already played thier hand, they have tried and in some cases succesfully to put thier stooges in political roles across the County, Parish and District. They couldn't do that again as it would divide their voter base. They're stuck

So, if we targeted the 5-6 FOSB Councillors, it would cost a few grand but you could see a good 300 votes in each case heading to a Stadium positive action group. It would terrify the councillors.

People usually vote historically or with apathy in locals. The engagement they will have seen in letters and emails, absolutely terrify them

I won’t name them on a public forum, but I happen to know one of the councillors on that list use to play and support grass roots football.
My local councillor is also on the main list. Sadly he didn’t respond to my stadium emails in the May elections.

Sadly my local councillor isn't and looking at how long the list is including the reserves must be one of the few councillors not to be!

When it comes to voting at CDC I believe that the Conservative Party run the Council but don’t have an overall majority.
On the Planning Committee I assume that is also the case.
Given that the Labour Party have come out in favour and the Lib Dem’s who held the balance of power at OCC Cabinet have come out in favour I think we should be targeting those Conservative Councillors from the off..I assume any Labour councillors will be on board anyway.
It would appear that only one green councillor on the OCC Cabinet has been against this so far and he was reluctant to say no.
No sure what if any influence these Councillors on the planning committee have but it would be fantastic to have a concerted effort from everyone to get e mails in,especially if you live in the CDC area.
word of caution, personally I never assume anything in politics

A long term lease, at a peppercorn rent, with covenants and other conditions, with the County Council, is absolutely the best outcome for the club. It is most certainly not a victory for FOSB, neither have they played any part in it being the ultimate decision of OCC, much as they'd like to spin their defeat in that direction.

It doesn't hamper the current owners development aspirations, as a 250 year lease is as good as a freehold sale in that respect, but what it does do is that it protects the club, in perpetuity, against any future owners that may be less benevolent than the current ones. It means the County Council are invested and involved with the well-being of the club for the duration of the lease.

It's a massive win win.
but Chester V claimed ( on RadOx) that he has been 'vindicated' *

( * though what he gets up to at home with a member of CDC 's planning cabinet isn't anything I want to hear about)

Going back to the FOUL days and something that gave FOUL HUGE power was a threat. That threat was to directly stand against negative cllrs in local elections.

They S**T themselves at that. the idea of a concerted and large noisy group standing against them. Its enough to knock the political stability or apathy that exists.

FOSB have already played thier hand, they have tried and in some cases succesfully to put thier stooges in political roles across the County, Parish and District. They couldn't do that again as it would divide their voter base. They're stuck

So, if we targeted the 5-6 FOSB Councillors, it would cost a few grand but you could see a good 300 votes in each case heading to a Stadium positive action group. It would terrify the councillors.

People usually vote historically or with apathy in locals. The engagement they will have seen in letters and emails, absolutely terrify them
when the gofundme fund raiser campaign starting?

also, @SupporttheTriangle would be someone Id like to see involved in the proposed new group
( hopefully said poster will be interested to be involved?) - additionally I believe there's a connection to FB group Kidlington Residents For Statfield Brake/ The Triangle

Last edited:

Are there any local elections coming up between now and mid-2024? Could be a general election so parliamentary candidates could be important?

It's a massive win win.
But your mate Middleton said it’s only a small step being leased the triangle 😉

Back
Top Bottom