General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Match days and if demand warrants, buses could also travel to the stadium from Redbridge, Seacourt and Thornhill P&R's.

OUFC could work with OCC to provide a chargeable match-day P&R pass option to include with match tickets or season tickets. That would mean 6 (including Eynsham) P&R's in action to alleviate traffic around the stadium on match days.
I would quite happily use a bus from thornhill

Parkway only has 758 spaces. I've never used it but apparently on a Saturday it's relatively busy already, so only a portion of those spaces will even be available for fans. May not be a problem directly for me as I get there early, but knowing this and with the improved facilities around the ground, will other people start doing the same?

Unfortunately, as much as people can try to pretend, public transport will simply never be as convenient or comfortable as driving. First issue obviously being you're set by pre-determined schedules - when you leave/come back is not really up to you. Comfort should be quite self-explanatory (last time I was on a bus I had someone behind me coughing their guts up, the woman to my right playing a game on her phone with it full volume, and a kid throwing a tantrum with it's mum screaming at it downstairs...fun....)

I've done most away games for a few years now and have driven to all but 2. Other people have got the bus, train etc to them with no issues, and this is my exact point...

It's about choice. The new stadium could essentially come down to, unless you get there *very* early, you have no choice but to get the bus and train. That could potentially put a lot of 'casual' fans off.
Do you leave matches early at the Kastad? Asking for a friend

Here's the full list of 92 but it's from 2016 so will have changed a bit.
For example we're listed as second furthest after Yeovil but they're obviously now non league.
Closest is St James Park (Exeter), 2nd Old Trafford, 3rd St James Park (Newcastle). Coventry is 4th.

And with the new 'Reading Green ' Railway Station opening up that will be another close rail option for this season

Not sure if this has been already mentioned but if the ground has a 200 room hotel as a part of the development, (as been stated), then surely adequate parking
would be included (up to 200 cars in theory). I would be more than happy to use the hotel overnight as I am on coastal Essex. Or have I missed something.

Now look I'm on my Sixth pint,sixth pkt of Crisps and my sixth pickled Egg will someone show me where the toilets are !

Not sure if this has been already mentioned but if the ground has a 200 room hotel as a part of the development, (as been stated), then surely adequate parking
would be included (up to 200 cars in theory). I would be more than happy to use the hotel overnight as I am on coastal Essex. Or have I missed something.
Many hotel guests would be likely (IMO) to let the train take the strain. I dont know, but dont think theres hotel guest parking on the stadium footprint. Drop an email to newstadium@oufc.co.uk ( i think thats the right email addy?) That should get you the definate answer re hotel guest parking. Though you could get the train up to Parkway from Exeter

But I'm telling you it won't take the same amount of time...

I also genuinely don't believe most people care how 'green' their travel is - most just want to get where they're going as quickly, conveniently, and comfortably as possible.

88% of all kms travelled in 2022 were made by cars, vans and taxis.
I think you're on the wind up, but there's a very important point there...

I don't think many of us are 'green'. Partly that's down to it not really being very cost effective (at least at home), some of it laziness and partly a lack of understanding as to how one might contribute more positively.

18 Months ago I was guilty of making lots of short car journeys in a petrol guzzling car that achieved 15 mpg. My lifestyle probably wasn't very pro-green and I did little to change it. Having switched to an electric vehicle 18 months ago on a bit of a whim, my lifestyle has actually changed with it largely as a consequence of being more aware (the club would be wise to incentivise greener travel in this way IMO). You would think going electric would put me out, it doesn't really. You just tie it into other things and adapt to the necessity to charge much more tactfully.

As a consequence of switching from petrol to electric, I'm now swamped by greener marketing tips, tricks and whether I like it or not fellow Tesla drivers at the supercharging stations who all dress in chino's insisting they talk at you about their eco-choices. The point is, once exposed to greener choices, it's hard not to be swept along with other more beneficial eco-choices.

I'm actually someone that is much more open minded and eager to adapt to more ecological lifestyle choices as a consequence of being subjected to the green-focused marketing and 'lifestyle'. With the right marketing, people are creatures of habit and therefore OUFC have a phenomenal opportunity to change the way their supporters habits both in their football game day experience but pro-green choices away from match days.

I suspect most supporters will buy into it being greener and quickly. Oxford United will find this task easier to communicate due to a die-hard audience than clubs higher up the pyramid. I suspect 99% of people, if marketed in an acceptable way and executed effectively will adopt new modes of transport from the stadiums infancy. I don't see a problem.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is nowhere near correct.

On Saturday 29 April (last date I have figures for), at 1:40pm the P&R at Parkway was only 21% full. It has 1,229 spaces. There is also the Station car park, which has another 750 spaces, meaning there are approximately 2,000 spaces just over the road from the stadium. If 21% of the total was used it would still leave nearly 1,600 spaces for football fans. Don't forget, not all of the spaces at The Kassam are available to us either, as a fair few are used by cinema goers and other users of the Ozone facilities, so it really is no different.

Furthermore, at the same time, on the same day, there were a further 1,625 spaces available at Peartree and Seacourt, which were less than 30% occupied, meaning a further 1,150 spaces were empty. The club will be running buses to the stadium from ALL P&R sites around the city and surrounding area, with incentivised tickets available to fans.

If you still want to drive, and park near the exit to the P&R at Parkway, I really don't see that it will be any different at all to your current routine, neither will getting away after the game. Also, part of the plan is to provide enough things for fans to do before and after games, so that fans arrive and depart over a longer period of time, meaning that people like you, who want to rush straight off, will in all probability find it even easier. And all of this ignores the fact that most people WILL NOT be driving anyway.

There really is no more to say!
Thanks again , for providing facts, when others less knowledgable, post inaccuracies .
If anyone has concerns these should be sent directly to the club, as anything else is pure conjecture and can result in the opposition being armed with more anti stadium ammo.
I think that this only goes to show,that whilst everything will not be perfect for everyone - we really need to wait until the full plans and details are released.

Sorry but that is nowhere near correct.

On Saturday 29 April (last date I have figures for), at 1:40pm the P&R at Parkway was only 21% full. It has 1,229 spaces. There is also the Station car park, which has another 750 spaces, meaning there are approximately 2,000 spaces just over the road from the stadium. If 21% of the total was used it would still leave nearly 1,600 spaces for football fans. Don't forget, not all of the spaces at The Kassam are available to us either, as a fair few are used by cinema goers and other users of the Ozone facilities, so it really is no different.

Furthermore, at the same time, on the same day, there were a further 1,625 spaces available at Peartree and Seacourt, which were less than 30% occupied, meaning a further 1,150 spaces were empty. The club will be running buses to the stadium from ALL P&R sites around the city and surrounding area, with incentivised tickets available to fans.

If you still want to drive, and park near the exit to the P&R at Parkway, I really don't see that it will be any different at all to your current routine, neither will getting away after the game. Also, part of the plan is to provide enough things for fans to do before and after games, so that fans arrive and depart over a longer period of time, meaning that people like you, who want to rush straight off, will in all probability find it even easier. And all of this ignores the fact that most people WILL NOT be driving anyway.

There really is no more to say!

I have a vague memory that somebody put the figures for peak Christmas period (or maybe Boxing Day) parking at the P&R's on here and the occupancy wasn't much more than those either.

Parkway only has 758 spaces. I've never used it but apparently on a Saturday it's relatively busy already, so only a portion of those spaces will even be available for fans. May not be a problem directly for me as I get there early, but knowing this and with the improved facilities around the ground, will other people start doing the same?

Unfortunately, as much as people can try to pretend, public transport will simply never be as convenient or comfortable as driving. First issue obviously being you're set by pre-determined schedules - when you leave/come back is not really up to you. Comfort should be quite self-explanatory (last time I was on a bus I had someone behind me coughing their guts up, the woman to my right playing a game on her phone with it full volume, and a kid throwing a tantrum with it's mum screaming at it downstairs...fun....)

I've done most away games for a few years now and have driven to all but 2. Other people have got the bus, train etc to them with no issues, and this is my exact point...

It's about choice. The new stadium could essentially come down to, unless you get there *very* early, you have no choice but to get the bus and train. That could potentially put a lot of 'casual' fans off.
What a load of old twaddle....................

The Easy hotel in Summertown is a good example, huge hotel with barely any parking at all.

I imagine you could easily have a luggage drop off point and then claim back the P&R parking fee from the hotel.

The Hotel I stayed at in Glasgow pre season had a similar arrangement.

Driving to Kassam takes about 30mins on a Saturday. Via public transport would take about 1.30-1.40hrs.

To drive to location of the triangle would take me anywhere between 20-25mins. Public transport to the same spot would currently take me 50mins.
Your profile says you are from Lancaster so out of interest what car do you drive to get from Lancaster to the Kassam Stadium in 30 minutes as that is impressive?!

This has been published today - what super timing for you @OxShireWest

MY I lived in Cold Norton from 1961 to 68 and still have friends in the area. For 6 months we lived in rented accommodation in North Street Maldon always known back then as Dagger Lane.k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom