General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to see plans of what the stadium can offer. The only way we will see concrete plans is if the meeting on Tuesday goes through with a yes.

A consultation can come during the planning application stage when we know the full details.
Re consultations - to quote that oft used by the national media, brizzle woman ( on elections)- ' what, another one? ' ;)

Last edited:
The minutes from Kidlington Parish Council meeting on Thursday have been published:

Screenshot_20230122_103023_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_103051_Drive.jpg

A few thoughts from me:

Point 2: Only in Oxfordshire would you get a local authority not 100% supportive of their football club. Because of this Kidlington stand to lose out on improved facilities entirely funded by private funds. A sensible and pragmatic suggestion by Cllr Prestidge and a rare comment on our proposals not rooted in rampant idealism.

Point 3: These will be answered at the planning stage which is why it needs proceed to a planning application being submitted.

Point 4: Absolutely not true. Stratfield Brake will provide this fabled green gap between Kidlington and Oxford.

Point 5: KPC have never been neutral. See Cllr Middleton's and Cllr Ward's comments on various social media and Chair David Robey appearing on the news with FoSB. A PR car crash for them. Should KPC wish to claim neutrality all three of the above mentioned would need to resign from the council immediately. If they remain in post they cannot claim to be neutral.

Point 8: Yes it can as it included The Triangle. Tellingly, they do not go into detail as to why they feel its unsuitable. Because a sub-section of society called football fans had their say? The council already know the thoughts of local people and the wider population of Oxfordshire from last year's consultation. Stratfield Brake will remain as it is with the stadium at The Triangle being closer to the station and further away from residents so its likely to have a higher number of local supporters now.

Last edited:
The minutes from Kidlington Parish Council meeting on Thursday have been published:

View attachment 11812
View attachment 11813

A few thoughts from me:

Point 2: Only in Oxfordshire would you get a local authority not 100% supportive of their football club. Because of this Kidlington stand to lose out on improved facilities entirely funded by private funds. A sensible and pragmatic suggestion by Cllr Prestidge and a rare comment on our proposals not rooted in rampant idealism.

Point 3: These will be answered at the planning stage which is why it needs proceed to a planning application being submitted.

Point 4: Absolutely not true. Stratfield Brake will provide this fabled green gap between Kidlington and Oxford.

Point 5: KPC have never been neutral. See Cllr Middleton's and Cllr Ward's comments on various social media and Chair David Robey appearing on the news with FoSB. A PR car crash for them. Should KPC wish to claim neutrality all three of the above mentioned would need to resign from the council immediately. If they remain in post they cannot claim to be neutral.

Point 8: Yes it can as it included The Triangle. Tellingly, they do not go into detail as to why they feel its unsuitable. Because a sub-section of society called football fans had their say? The council already know the thoughts of local people and the wider population of Oxfordshire from last year's consultation. Stratfield Brake will remain as it is with the stadium at The Triangle being closer to the station and further away from residents so its likely to be more supported by local residents now.
Cheers for sharing @Orkney Islands Yellow ......& a good overview assessment too

We need to see plans of what the stadium can offer. The only way we will see concrete plans is if the meeting on Tuesday goes through with a yes.

A consultation can come during the planning application stage when we know the full details.
That's true - to an extent.

I imagine that the plans will contain aspects of community use at some stage- they generally do.
The question is whether the Club sticks by them-

Oxford fans know better than anyone what happens when a stadium is built to the bare minimum for the interests of the club owner alone.

I think the Stadium can be hugely beneficial as a community resource, as the excellent video from the club shows.

I think we can build on that and use it for sports, music, community events of all kinds.

View attachment 11812
View attachment 11813

A few thoughts from me:

Point 8: Yes it can as it included The Triangle. Tellingly, they do not go into detail as to why they feel its unsuitable. Because a sub-section of society called football fans had their say? The council already know the thoughts of local people and the wider population of Oxfordshire from last year's consultation. Stratfield Brake will remain as it is with the stadium at The Triangle being closer to the station and further away from residents so its likely to be more supported by local residents now.
"The Parish council should take the same open minded approach as it did with the Stratfield Brake proposal"

By co-opting members of the FoSB group onto the council?

Is there a template we can use for inspiration when emailing the County Council?

Is there a template we can use for inspiration when emailing the County Council?

It can be as simple as:

I write to urge you to accept the officers recommendations to begin negotiations with OUFC about leasing land known as The Triangle for the purposes of building a new stadium which they so badly need.

I ask you please to agree to this on Tuesday without delay. Please then instruct the officers to begin negotiations immediately with OUFC with a view to bringing terms to the cabinet for approval at the next cabinet meeting if not before in an emergency/extraordinary meeting.

Yours ........

Fell free to copy and paste if you wish

Just listened to the Wasn't at the Game show on Radio Oxford.

Well done @bazzer9461 for calling out the Oxford Mail negativity and that they only seem to publish letters from those against the stadium. I think it probably put Jerome in a slightly difficult position, as he's supposed to remain impartial, and probably couldn't be seen to be criticising another local media outlet?

Also I was surprised to get a name check when Bazzer was talking to Jerome! It emphasised to me that, no matter that some of us may differ on certain things (and I've certainly had my differences with Bazzer in the past) on the stadium issue we are all very much on the same side, and want the same decision on Tuesday, and the same overall outcome.

Well done Bazzer, and thanks. SOS SOC.
Just being honest and I know your work and effort going towards a new stadium shouldn’t go unnoticed. Roll on Tuesday and hope we get the news we want.
PS I am a nice guy really😉

Just e mailed the Council on behalf of the Witney & District FA.
Slightly different angle, stressing the fact that an successful football club leads to increased participation numbers in kids and adults.
Surely this has to be a good thing in days when far too many of us are leading far less active lives?

Just e mailed the Council on behalf of the Witney & District FA.
Slightly different angle, stressing the fact that an successful football club leads to increased participation numbers in kids and adults.
Surely this has to be a good thing in days when far too many of us are leading far less active lives?
I think that’s good but really the main thing is just to do it and keep it concise and positive, they will get a lot so won’t wade through pages

Here's some notes a friend of mine took at the KPC meeting, gives a little more insight.

Kidlington Parish Council Meeting 19th January 2023

Questions/Statements:

Victoria Campbell on behalf of FoSB
CC adopting different approach (leaping ahead), worries that KPC won’t be included
Failure to answer questions raised by KPC
County refusing to engage in consultation
Last remaining green gap put forward by KDW
Contrary to local plan
Asking for KPC to bid for site to protect it

Danny Wright
Aggressively neutral – missed chance of infrastructure
KPC delaying
Have you met the sports groups? Kidlington Youth appear to have not had response from KPC

Liam Walker
Disingenuous to mention Local Plan without acknowledging that it also says that Kidlington is below average compared to the rest of Cherwell in social and leisure facilities and opportunities. Given that KPC didn’t support OUFC at SB, how do they propose to make up the shortfall and bring Kidlington up to the average if not for outside investment.

James Dunn
Spoke about infrastructure (mentioning traffic to Blenheim and further developments). Already coping so confident that

Main Meeting

Chair:
Position of KPC different to SB
Triangle just in Kidlington Parish (not Gosford & Watereaton)
KPC will not change position. Will keep an open mind until they have more information

Neil P
Much rather SB than triangle due to benefits. Would prefer to have it there rather than triangle

David Betts
Further information needed. OUFC haven’t answered any questions. Don’t have the information promised so should not change KPC’s position.

Chair
No point in changing as OUFC are focusing on the triangle
Questions not been answered
Traffic
Parking
Number of events
Etc….
Need to be answered in relation to the triangle site
Removal of “green gap”. Hard to see how this fits with OCC plans about green belt

Neil P
Now it’s only a stadium, it counts as permissible development.

Chair

2 / 3
Disagrees. It is not a cricket pavilion. A great many people are concerned

Ian M
Need to understand local opinions. Wants a consultation. Land entrusted to people of Kidlington by OCC. Can make a case for building on green belt

Alan T
Club have not demonstrated exceptional circumstances

Chair
Same openminded approach to triangle as SB

David Betts
Perception of public that KPC has done nothing. Certain conditions expected to be met and needs detail (same as cabinet paper). Club not come back to KPC. At a future council meeting need to discuss

Melanie M
Important to have information. What the concerns are and what to prioritise. Need to engage in the community. People can invent things (media black hole)

Neil P
Why talk about negatives, what about the benefits?

Chair
Part of biding time is to talk about benefits to get the club to commit to providing facilities. What we would like to achieve.
OCC should take a similarly open approach. They are talking about “in principle” but are not open minded

Ian M
OCC aren’t being open minded. They won’t take language out of responses. Don’t actually know what is being proposed. Resistance to taking language out. Ian M has challenged the language and doesn’t understand the loaded information. Suspect it is a push by officers to get this through prematurely.

David Betts
Not opposed to this point (6) but equally doesn’t agree with it. Lots of conditions and caveats cover all concerns that KPC have. Also address size and scale of development.

Melanie M
OUFC a commercial entity. If it is blocked too much KPC might not get info to become stakeholders.

Chair
Ian wants to keep it in but it will be taken out.
No advantage gained by making a decision for or against at this stage. OCC wont be making a decision until the autumn. KPC make a decision after this. Only as consultees
Point 8. No point in consulting evidence until fully informed. Parish poll against, won’t change anything at this point. Better to wait.

Neil P
Why consult when we have no power? We should know

David Betts

3 / 3
I have my own views but I don’t know the views of the community. Can’t make decision completely in isolation. Some of the public might not like that. Will only do that by a consultation. Feeling uncomfortable without that.

Melanie
More people at the meeting would like their views held. Have the chance to consult and bring something to the table. Able to ask for what we want from OUFC

?????
I agree.....
Range of views across the community and quite a lot of ignorance
Far more simple than yes or no (gave examples of issues)

Linda Ward
Assumptions being made about positives. What people would like from it is important

Alan G
Spoke about next door app. Based on facts but also made up, that’s why we need more info….

David T
Need to find out what residents would look for.
If OCC make a decision then residents can’t then say “you didn’t consult us”. Current plans vague.

Ian M
Need to have a consultation. Would support whatever the public want. De ja vu as to having no information as per SB. Need to have an undertaking from OCC that there will be space for a public consultation.

Neil P
I go out and speak to the people in my ward. We have lots of information that won’t be available for a consultation (health demographics, capacity of pitches). Waste of money spending that on a consultation

Ian M
OCC might agree to make it binding

Chair
Strong feelings on either side. Biggest issue in the 25 years I have lived here. Simple yes and no consultation down the line.
Need to know what concerns are but also aspirations.
OCC consultation was not a proper consultation. Consider a parish poll (yes/no). Information gathering consultation in the meantime

Chair
Strong feelings on either side. Biggest issue in the 25 years I have lived here. Simple yes and no consultation down the line.
OCC consultation was not a proper consultation. Consider a parish poll (yes/no). Information gathering consultation in the meantime

Good to see that KPC have learnt the lessons around holding an overly simplistic yes/no public consultation after the absolute bin-fire of similar approaches in the last ten years.

Complicated matters simply can’t come down to just a vote count. The general public just doesn’t understand the complexity of planning and it should never come down to a public vote in such crude terms.

It’s the COGENCY of responses to public consultation which is key. That can only been done as part of a a statutory consultation, which can only be delivered if we move to planning.

Slightly worrying when our local officials, albeit at a Parish level, don’t quite understand how an accountable and effective democracy works.

It’s heavy-handed satire, but this video does rather hit the nail on the head of those who scream for details, then won’t allow process to unfold to then allow for that detail and proper public consultation.

Here's some notes a friend of mine took at the KPC meeting, gives a little more insight.

Kidlington Parish Council Meeting 19th January 2023

Questions/Statements:

Victoria Campbell on behalf of FoSB
CC adopting different approach (leaping ahead), worries that KPC won’t be included
Failure to answer questions raised by KPC
County refusing to engage in consultation
Last remaining green gap put forward by KDW
Contrary to local plan
Asking for KPC to bid for site to protect it

Danny Wright
Aggressively neutral – missed chance of infrastructure
KPC delaying
Have you met the sports groups? Kidlington Youth appear to have not had response from KPC

Liam Walker
Disingenuous to mention Local Plan without acknowledging that it also says that Kidlington is below average compared to the rest of Cherwell in social and leisure facilities and opportunities. Given that KPC didn’t support OUFC at SB, how do they propose to make up the shortfall and bring Kidlington up to the average if not for outside investment.

James Dunn
Spoke about infrastructure (mentioning traffic to Blenheim and further developments). Already coping so confident that

Main Meeting

Chair:
Position of KPC different to SB
Triangle just in Kidlington Parish (not Gosford & Watereaton)
KPC will not change position. Will keep an open mind until they have more information

Neil P
Much rather SB than triangle due to benefits. Would prefer to have it there rather than triangle

David Betts
Further information needed. OUFC haven’t answered any questions. Don’t have the information promised so should not change KPC’s position.

Chair
No point in changing as OUFC are focusing on the triangle
Questions not been answered
Traffic
Parking
Number of events
Etc….
Need to be answered in relation to the triangle site
Removal of “green gap”. Hard to see how this fits with OCC plans about green belt

Neil P
Now it’s only a stadium, it counts as permissible development.

Chair

2 / 3
Disagrees. It is not a cricket pavilion. A great many people are concerned

Ian M
Need to understand local opinions. Wants a consultation. Land entrusted to people of Kidlington by OCC. Can make a case for building on green belt

Alan T
Club have not demonstrated exceptional circumstances

Chair
Same openminded approach to triangle as SB

David Betts
Perception of public that KPC has done nothing. Certain conditions expected to be met and needs detail (same as cabinet paper). Club not come back to KPC. At a future council meeting need to discuss

Melanie M
Important to have information. What the concerns are and what to prioritise. Need to engage in the community. People can invent things (media black hole)

Neil P
Why talk about negatives, what about the benefits?

Chair
Part of biding time is to talk about benefits to get the club to commit to providing facilities. What we would like to achieve.
OCC should take a similarly open approach. They are talking about “in principle” but are not open minded

Ian M
OCC aren’t being open minded. They won’t take language out of responses. Don’t actually know what is being proposed. Resistance to taking language out. Ian M has challenged the language and doesn’t understand the loaded information. Suspect it is a push by officers to get this through prematurely.

David Betts
Not opposed to this point (6) but equally doesn’t agree with it. Lots of conditions and caveats cover all concerns that KPC have. Also address size and scale of development.

Melanie M
OUFC a commercial entity. If it is blocked too much KPC might not get info to become stakeholders.

Chair
Ian wants to keep it in but it will be taken out.
No advantage gained by making a decision for or against at this stage. OCC wont be making a decision until the autumn. KPC make a decision after this. Only as consultees
Point 8. No point in consulting evidence until fully informed. Parish poll against, won’t change anything at this point. Better to wait.

Neil P
Why consult when we have no power? We should know

David Betts

3 / 3
I have my own views but I don’t know the views of the community. Can’t make decision completely in isolation. Some of the public might not like that. Will only do that by a consultation. Feeling uncomfortable without that.

Melanie
More people at the meeting would like their views held. Have the chance to consult and bring something to the table. Able to ask for what we want from OUFC

?????
I agree.....
Range of views across the community and quite a lot of ignorance
Far more simple than yes or no (gave examples of issues)

Linda Ward
Assumptions being made about positives. What people would like from it is important

Alan G
Spoke about next door app. Based on facts but also made up, that’s why we need more info….

David T
Need to find out what residents would look for.
If OCC make a decision then residents can’t then say “you didn’t consult us”. Current plans vague.

Ian M
Need to have a consultation. Would support whatever the public want. De ja vu as to having no information as per SB. Need to have an undertaking from OCC that there will be space for a public consultation.

Neil P
I go out and speak to the people in my ward. We have lots of information that won’t be available for a consultation (health demographics, capacity of pitches). Waste of money spending that on a consultation

Ian M
OCC might agree to make it binding

Chair

Someone did pretty well to get that out of I'm affraid a not a very well organised public meeting.

If they are an Oxford fan I don't ever want to sit next to them. They would be the sort constantly moaning when we dont score with every attack and then leaving with 10 minutes to go to beat the rush out the ground when the scores are level. Sounds like a right negative nelly by their posts.
To be fair, other than the leaving early (why would I want to waste good moaning time?) that sounds like me and 98% of the rest of the support.

This is from a friend of mine’s daughter. I think it is excellent

OUFC
Dear County Council Cabinet.
I am writing to ask that you make a positive decision
about leasing Oxford United Football Club the land at
either Stratfield Brake or the Triangle to build a new
stadium.
1 am 13 years old and have supported Oxford United
since my Dad took me to my first game when I was 6
years old and 'Father Christmas' bought me my first
yellows shirt!
As a season ticket holder and a Girls RTC player,
football means everything to me; Oxford Utd means
everything to me! However, it's not just about the
football that plays out on the pitch. Football brings
people together from all over the community - men,
women, young, elderly, rich, poor - it has no
boundaries. Football is so much more than a game, it
has the ability to bring people joy, comfort in the
darkest of days, release from work/school pressures,
sense of belonging, friendship and hope.
As a young female growing up in Oxfordshire, it would
bring opportunities to not only myself but future
generations. At a time where we're just starting to
break down barriers of stereotypes in football, your
decision could impact hugely on the positive future of
OUWFC along with OUFC and community clubs.
Please don't underestimate how much your decision
will impact the footballing and non-footballing
community. A delay in your decision puts the future of
our club at risk!
Let's ensure football remains at the heart of the
community where it belongs……pumping yellow blood
throughout Oxfordshire!
Eve
#SOS

This is fabulous from 13 year old Eve, great that the young and old have come together as one
Have known Eves family for years absolute mad Yellows fans except her Dad who supports the Gills but fair play to him for bringing up his family correctly 😀

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom