General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting developments. I’ll await to know ITK to comment on this further.

And don’t give any credence that FOSB had anything to do with this. This was always a district council decision. FOSB is some NIMBYs shouting on Facebook and Twitter. They haven’t ‘won’ in this.

Last edited:
Interesting developments. I’ll await to know ITK to comment on this further.

And don’t give any credence that FOSB had anything to do with this. This was always a district council decision. FOSB is some NIMBYs shouting into the Twitter on Facebook and Twitter. They haven’t ‘won’ in this.

Nope, but they may well ‘lose’ in ways which might make them realise they’ve picked the wrong horse.

A well designed stadium with steep stands, hotel, bars, restaurants etc built into the concourse could easily fit on that land. Could have an underground carpark and coach park under the stands if needed.
Exactly this. There is plenty of room for a stadium + lots of other stuff. What we don’t know is what the club/owners want to include on the site. Plenty is possible with clever design though.

I've got a World Cup match to watch, so not posting anymore tonight, but that site is roughly twice the size of the entire site that Brentford's 17,500 stadium is built on, including the enabling developments at Brentford.

Plenty big enough, and far less contentious.
Games over now Colin

Do you think the Board will go with this ?

So, FoSB have saved Stratfield Brake. My thoughts on it:

Good location, even closer to the train station and park and ride and further away from residential areas.

No current public access to this site so no opposition to losing public green space.

KPC do not have a lease over this land so they're out of the process as Cherwell DC would be the council that'll make the planning decision.

Some negatives: is it big enough? It'll be interesting to hear OUFC's thoughts on this.

There's no obligation for OUFC to provide replacement facilities to the clubs that would've been affected by us moving to Stratfield Brake. Hopefully the club can do something fir the community.

KPC will continue to pay 30% of their budget for SB.

That community had the chance of some great new facilities that most other communities would bite the hand off for, they turned it down, we owe them nothing now.

Still when it ends up with houses and flats on it they will be able to enjoy them.

What decision is due on the 24th January as spoken in this article?
I’m assuming that it’s similar to the SB meeting, in that they have to agree to proceed with the formalities, this was then held up at the next meeting as they wanted more local consultations.

So this will be to allow OUFC to look at leasing/purchasing the land.

I’m assuming that it’s similar to the SB meeting, in that they have to agree to proceed with the formalities, this was then held up at the next meeting as they wanted more local consultations.

Yes, it’s exactly that.

Don’t think it’ll be anywhere near as complicated though.

Would be very surprised if we aren’t all celebrating some great news end of January.

I’m assumes that it’s similar to the SB meeting, in that they have to agree to proceed with the formalities, this was then held up at the next meeting as they wanted more local consultations.

Oh its a cabinet meeting to decide if the triangle land should be leased to OUFC.

Hopefully that goes smoothly and we can proceed to get some plans drawn up (if we haven't already) and submit a planning application.

Now the footy is out the way, I've read that letter through and I don't believe it actually kills the original proposal.

It does, however, present KPC a clear choice. They are in all likelihood getting a football stadium and some ancillary developments build on their patch - that much is now pretty clear.

They can now chose to have the stadium AND the benefits of jobs and facilities along with the removal of the annual financial commitment to lease and maintain Stratfield Brake OR they can have a football stadium with no guarantees that they will benefit from it's construction whilst they still fund the community facilities across the road.

That could just be a bluff being called.......

Now the footy is out the way, I've read that letter through and I don't believe it actually kills the original proposal.

It does, however, present KPC a clear choice. They are in all likelihood getting a football stadium and some ancillary developments build on their patch - that much is now pretty clear.

They can now chose to have the stadium AND the benefits of jobs and facilities along with the removal of the annual financial commitment to lease and maintain Stratfield Brake OR they can have a football stadium with no guarantees that they will benefit from it's construction whilst they still fund the community facilities across the road.

An interesting point, but these are green, eco people who would rather have no local benefits in return for green space.

Using Brentford as a guide, they look to have built on just under 8 acres with other information here (including some time scales: https://www.arup.com/projects/brentford-community-stadium).

The new AFC Wimbledon stadium looked to have been built on ~14 acres: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/propert...flats-new-AFC-Wimbledon-stadium-unveiled.html.

I guess the stadium build is the pressing issue - could it be possible we build the stadium on the newly suggested piece of land and build additional facilities at Stratfield Brake when we don't have the time pressure?

It'll be interesting to see what The Friends of The Triangular Plot (FoTTP) think about this.

Wouldn't it be more profitable for OUFC owners to only lease/purchase the triangle land and build a world class stadium with hotel, restaurants, bars , shop and meeting rooms within the fabric of the building on that land .No costly sports pitches for the community, no relocating a cricket club , building rugby facilities, contributions to KPC for giving up their lease with that parcel of land.

It maybe a bluff but it could be a better option that favours us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom