General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
700 goes through Headington, from the Churchill hosp, (i think? -calls at JR hosp) down Headley way, along Marston Ferry link road , onto Banbury road, through Summertown, then calls in at Oxford Parkway ..... though it DOESNT run evenings or weekends ..... something the powers that be perhaps should speak to Stagecoach about when the new stadium ( and ice rink?) are built
It makes me wonder a bit with all the cuts to the bus services this week whether the council will sort that out? Well they will have approx 5 years in which to do so.

It makes me wonder a bit with all the cuts to the bus services this week whether the council will sort that out? Well they will have approx 5 years in which to do so.
I would hope that if the backing for the ground is partly based on its Green credentials, the bus companies, the council and our club will make sure there are plenty of bus options to supplement the trains and park and ride.

I'm mid-40s and never thought about environmental issues before but my kids are making me think differently these days and think any planning should consider this too.

I'm based in Banbury now but used to live near Woodstock. I used to drive to the Kassam and park at a friend's because two buses to Blackbird Leys and back used to take so long.

Hopefully, the club will consider travel options to the new ground from all parts of the county.

Last edited:
They already have haven't they the x2?
Not from Wallingford. Have to get to Didcot first. They could so easily redirect the X38/39/40 down Grenoble Rd on match days or even just through Sandford and Littlemore like it does in the evenings - not that that will work from 2026!

I would hope that if the backing for the ground is partly based on its Green credentials, the bus companies, the council and our club will make sure there are plenty of bus options to supplement the trains and park and ride.

I'm mid-40s and never thought about environmental issues before but my kids are making me think differently these days and think any planning should consider this too.

I'm based in Banbury now but used to live near Woodstock. I used to drive to the Kassam and park at a friend's because two busses to Blackbird Leys and back used to take so long.

Hopefully, the club will consider travel options to the new ground from all parts of the county.

I can appreciate this 👍🏻 I lived in Begbroke for 5 years and did the two buses for quite a while (S3 bus followed by number 5). On a good day it took an hr, but for midweek games the connections weren’t great and I’d get home at 11pm 😣

Back in West Oxfordshire now and 5-6 miles from Stratfield Brake, on a very good cycle route so I’d definitely be taking the bike to home games should this get the green light! 👍🏻

I can appreciate this 👍🏻 I lived in Begbroke for 5 years and did the two buses for quite a while (S3 bus followed by number 5). On a good day it took an hr, but for midweek games the connections weren’t great and I’d get home at 11pm 😣

Back in West Oxfordshire now and 5-6 miles from Stratfield Brake, on a very good cycle route so I’d definitely be taking the bike to home games should this get the green light! 👍🏻
Begbroke is where I was too. My kids still live there so I've got free parking there! That'd make it an easy cycle or walk to Kidlington for me and my son. Not doing it from Banbury though ☺️

I'm over the moon with this Stadium plan, not just for what it means for the club I love, but for kidlington as a whole.

Stratfield Brake as a sports facility is not fit for purpose, the cricket pitches are poor and has a pavilion too far away from the boundary due to cost cutting when it was built (they couldn't afford to move the overhead power lines).

The rugby and football pitches water log and the football pitches are poorly kept and so far away from the clubhouse that it makes watching my kids football matches a chore especially if siblings are there too and need the loo.

Added to that the astro turf at gosford leisure centre which hasn't been resurfaced since it was laid in the early 2000s (when I was still at school) so it is dangerous to play on in the winter-not ideal for all weather pitches.

So better facilities for kids to play sport is a must.

Then there's the added benefit to kidlington, added foot fall for local businesses and pubs on match days and hopefully a nice restaurant or two.

So fingers crossed it will all go through, and any STOP THE STADIUM signs or banners put up in kidlington will be ripped back down with pleasure by myself.

COYY

That’s probably not going to be a problem for Kidlington.

World Heritage Status or not, Kidlington is already luring the tourists in lest we forget.

Get them spending at the club shop before they head on to Bicester Village!

Last edited:
This has got very strange. I simply expressed an interest in knowing what proportion of fans who regularly attend come from outside the immediate Oxford area (and perhaps a look at that demographic) - it is obvious that the bulk of the fanbase come from the local vicinity and that marketing and promotion will primarily be aimed at such.

On the lesser side, there are also a reasonable number of exiles and lapsed fans who are not local who, for any number of reasons, attend few or no games at all, who can be enticed to attend semi-regularly by an attractive new ground, higher level football and a leisure complex. I was also questioning whether the exile base is just getting older or perhaps as people leave the area for college and jobs (and by definition become exiles) that isn't the case. You seem keen to turn a few observations into a 'right' or 'wrong' argument.
Once we’ve got a few European titles under our belt, they’ll be driving down from Manchester and Liverpool.

Radio Oxford managed to find 2 or 3 people from Blackbird Leys upset that the Stadium could be moving out of the area!

In all of the news so far I haven't seen anybody particularly against the new ground (I expect there will be som opposition)
No doubt there will be some. And all of it is worth listening to if concerns go beyond "I don't want it on my doorstep" or "I don't want it moving from my doorstep". Proper engagement with the community (not just lip service) and the communication around the positive benefits of having such an asset for the whole community, or even as a catalyst for a more integrated green transport strategy for example, can not be understated!

You really are a strange individual.

If you really are a long term senior supporter of OUFC, why on earth are you being so pathetically juvenile ?
Listen right,
I came on here I gave a adult opinion.
To be belittled,acussed of things which was bizzare.
I challenged them in the same childish way. Ooh &guess what the baby's didn't like it.
Fair enough I think sums it up about to me

It’s completely understandable how much we’ve looked back in nostalgia over the last 20 years, certainly in regard to the good old days at the Manor.
It was particularly important whist sat in an unfinished arctic wind tunnel, watching the tactical masterclass of Darren Paterson.
But this is a new, confident era, and how we name the stadium shouldn’t have to reflect the past.
The club are finally putting down roots in a stadium we can call home. We should reflect this by buying into the new surroundings and naming the stadium after the geographical location of the site.

Maybe some of the locals can help with the history of the site for the actual name?
Stratford Brake or Gosford also work well with me, only if it’s actually in Gosford of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom