National News National Lockdown coming

Does any of it matter when people hover around the reduced aisle in Tesco and argue over some sausage rolls and custard tarts.

Sorry I’ve followed the “science” from the start but I’m done. I’ll isolate, run my own track and trace with my family and friends etc. but the tiers and all the rules mean absolutely nothing to me any more. I’ll set my own rules. friends in Aus and NZ are living a nearly normal life and we’re in this because of the failings of our government, no one else is to blame!

nearly 12 months after it started and were still the thick kid in the exam refusing to copy off the others. Im just thankful my Gran was seen off in March and I’m not stood outside a care home tapping on the window.

So what do NHS, heath care workers and everyone else that have to work on Christmas day do? No easy answers but blanking then is not one of them. (unless I missed it!)

Whilst I accept the failings of the Government, I do not agree that no one else is to blame.

I work in a prison where we have a number of confirmed cases, and this is likely to significantly increase in the next week or so. PPE is readily available along with hand sanitiser, wash stations etc. The message has been clear, keep 2 metres or more apart where possible, and where you can't, wear a mask. Yet this week I have been challenging staff who didn't think these rules applied in staff rooms or offices. And today alone, we had 2 staff come into work and mixing with others before informing us that they are living with family members who are currently infected.

How can the Government be responsible for these idiots? The rules are clear, but some refuse to follow them, either through complacency or willful neglect, but certainly not ignorance.

Some have absolved personal responsibility from all in order to put 100% blame on Boris and co. But ignorance can no longer be an excuse and we all have to do everything we can in order to get us through this.

So what do NHS, heath care workers and everyone else that have to work on Christmas day do? No easy answers but blanking then is not one of them. (unless I missed it!)

I'm working Christmas day, and may have an hour or so with my mum over to see the grandkids, but we might not even do that now. It's s**t, and my wife and mother-in-law are struggling, but what can we do?

Whilst I accept the failings of the Government, I do not agree that no one else is to blame.

I work in a prison where we have a number of confirmed cases, and this is likely to significantly increase in the next week or so. PPE is readily available along with hand sanitiser, wash stations etc. The message has been clear, keep 2 metres or more apart where possible, and where you can't, wear a mask. Yet this week I have been challenging staff who didn't think these rules applied in staff rooms or offices. And today alone, we had 2 staff come into work and mixing with others before informing us that they are living with family members who are currently infected.

How can the Government be responsible for these idiots? The rules are clear, but some refuse to follow them, either through complacency or willful neglect, but certainly not ignorance.

Some have absolved personal responsibility from all in order to put 100% blame on Boris and co. But ignorance can no longer be an excuse and we all have to do everything we can in order to get us through this.
Do be careful SE, a lot of our cases and clusters have been coming from prisons here in Malaysia.

But I would add, they are probably quite different in each countries.

Do be careful SE, a lot of our cases and clusters have been coming from prisons here in Malaysia.

But I would add, they are probably quite different in each countries.
We've been incredibly lucky, but can see some very difficult times ahead. Everyone is just praying that we get through to the spring without significant deaths, but with an aging prison population and a staff group who can be complacent, outbreaks are inevitable. At the beginning of all this, I was basically isolating from my family within the same house. No hugging or kissing the kids, changing clothes and washing separately as soon as I got home, sleeping in the spare room etc. Over the next 4 or 5 days I'll be doing the same to ensure I don't put anyone at risk at Christmas. Will be tested Tuesday so hopefully results Christmas Eve ready to enjoy whatever time we have as a family, even if that's Mrs Egg and the two littl'uns. But its scary stuff and I'll be incredibly happy to come through this unscathed.

Scenes of packed out trains leaving London stations this evening to escape the Tier 4 move, sending thousands of people in close proximity with eachother into England to spread the new strain of the disease in complete contravention of the rules.

I've got to spend Christmas alone, and yet it's a free for all for Londonders, it would seem. I hope they all contract it.

Scenes of packed out trains leaving London stations this evening to escape the Tier 4 move, sending thousands of people in close proximity with eachother into England to spread the new strain of the disease in complete contravention of the rules.

I've got to spend Christmas alone, and yet it's a free for all for Londonders, it would seem. I hope they all contract it.

I suppose that’s the problem of a tier system, the lines on a map don’t really exist as barriers to movement, a lot of people in London/south east will have a home/relatives to stay with outside of tier 4.

We will all be in Lockdown in January (or before that) anyway, not the one in November that just shut a few pubs but the one in spring that absolutely devastated the economy.

New levels of stupidity reached last night at St Pancras. More incredibly selfish behaviour by people too thick to realise that the virus doesn’t recognise boundaries and cut off times; you couldn’t make it up.
Whose fault is it? No no no, not their’s, god no, it’s all the Govts fault, they put them on that platform and crammed them into the trains, moving bags of people who tried to create distancing just so they could spread the virus around the UK. Yes sir, the Govt’s fault indeed.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what emoji to use to send a sympathetic message of agreement here.

New levels of stupidity reached last night at St Pancras. More incredibly selfish behaviour by people to thick to realise that the virus doesn’t recognise boundaries and cut off times; you couldn’t make it up.
Whose fault is it? No no no, not their’s, god no, it’s all the Govts fault, they put them on that platform and crammed them into the trains, moving bags of people who tried to create distancing just so they could spread the live around the UK. Yes sir, the Govt’s fault indeed.

Surely a government has to accept the reality of a situation, go by what has happened in the past and put in rules based on that which will actually work?

Surely a government has to accept the reality of a situation, go by what has happened in the past and put in rules based on that which will actually work?
Allowing people eight hours before raising tier levels and relying on their common sense didn’t work did it?!
So an immediate imposition of enhanced tier levels and police checking every passenger as they try to enter transport hubs, because that is the only way to stop what happened last night.

New levels of stupidity reached last night at St Pancras. More incredibly selfish behaviour by people to thick to realise that the virus doesn’t recognise boundaries and cut off times; you couldn’t make it up.
Whose fault is it? No no no, not their’s, god no, it’s all the Govts fault, they put them on that platform and crammed them into the trains, moving bags of people who tried to create distancing just so they could spread the live around the UK. Yes sir, the Govt’s fault indeed.
I'm not in the business of supporting government at the moment, but everyone getting on those trains last night (except for the incredibly small number moving to a second home) knew they were breaking the rules and risking lives. They are beyond governing.

I can take a test on my way home and know for sure, as I drive back to Oxford, that I'm negative. That was my plan. Yet now I'm having to miss out when my parents' neighbours will be mixing with people who probably have no idea whether they're ill or not.

If we did away with restrictions sensible families could take the appropriate measures to keep everyone safe, and the rest could execute Darwinism to thin out the surplus population.

Bah humbug.

It was only when we were coming out of the last lockdown that the media were all over this bloody Christmas thing.

All these questions about families being together, loneliness, people having to be together for Christmas, it’s a very important time of year, etc etc...

So much pressure was piled on it was unreal and all because people thought Christmas was more important than life itself.

I know the government have been reactive rather the proactive in many decision but I also do have sympathy with the immense complexity of the situation and the pressure from all sides. But they are the government, so bloody govern.

What has annoyed me about all of this recent clusterfuck is the pressure initially being thrown around by the media and the government not having the balls to just say Christmas is cancelled, stay out home. They didn’t want the backlash that was bound to come on the back of that decision and so they waited for more people to die and the R number to go back up in order to give them the necessary ammunition to change their mind.

This virus has been around long enough now for us all to know how it spreads and so this further last minute reversal was always on the cards. Even considering the easing of any restrictions in January is madness... we don’t have to be a bloody scientist to see it.

Just lock everyone back down Boris. For once make an absolutely 100% positive master stroke... 3 month lockdown, roll out a significant % of the vaccine during this time, with absolute military precision, and then we can emerge knowing a sufficient number of vaccinations will prevent the huge spikes we are seeing time and time again.

I am tired of this now, really weary of the whole thing but if a 3 month lockdown is a necessary evil to really get on top of this once and for all, then so be it.

We all need to move on from this, but and bouncing in and out of tiers provides no sense of consistency.

We can’t keep on kicking this virus down the road, we need to nail it.

It was only when we were coming out of the last lockdown that the media were all over this bloody Christmas thing.

All these questions about families being together, loneliness, people having to be together for Christmas, it’s a very important time of year, etc etc...

So much pressure was piled on it was unreal and all because people thought Christmas was more important than life itself.

I know the government have been reactive rather the proactive in many decision but I also do have sympathy with the immense complexity of the situation and the pressure from all sides. But they are the government, so bloody govern.

What has annoyed me about all of this recent clusterfuck is the pressure initially being thrown around by the media and the government not having the balls to just say Christmas is cancelled, stay out home. They didn’t want the backlash that was bound to come on the back of that decision and so they waited for more people to die and the R number to go back up in order to give them the necessary ammunition to change their mind.

This virus has been around long enough now for us all to know how it spreads and so this further last minute reversal was always on the cards. Even considering the easing of any restrictions in January is madness... we don’t have to be a bloody scientist to see it.

Just lock everyone back down Boris. For once make an absolutely 100% positive master stroke... 3 month lockdown, roll out a significant % of the vaccine during this time, with absolute military precision, and then we can emerge knowing a sufficient number of vaccinations will prevent the huge spikes we are seeing time and time again.

I am tired of this now, really weary of the whole thing but if a 3 month lockdown is a necessary evil to really get on top of this once and for all, then so be it.

We all need to move on from this, but and bouncing in and out of tiers provides no sense of consistency.

We can’t keep on kicking this virus down the road, we need to nail it.
Well said. Let's get tough on ourselves. When some people talk about missing 'Christmas' what they mean is missing present exchanges, booze ups, massive over-eating etc. The vast majority don't mean missing a Christian festival.

So let's have 'Christmas' in May 2021 or whenever this virus has been mastered. In the meantime let's all stay away from as many other people as possible.

99.9% survival rate and we want to have further total 3 month lockdown at the cost of billions of pounds, hundreds of thousands of jobs, and further deaths from late or missed cancer and other diagnoses?

Not to mention this will be many thousands of people's last Christmas with some of their family members anyway. That memory is now unable to be made.

I think news coverage has put the fear up a lot of you. This virus has taken a year of your life - how much more are you willing to give it?

99.9% survival rate and we want to have further total 3 month lockdown at the cost of billions of pounds, hundreds of thousands of jobs, and further deaths from late or missed cancer and other diagnoses?

Not to mention this will be many thousands of people's last Christmas with some of their family members anyway. That memory is now unable to be made.

I think news coverage has put the fear up a lot of you. This virus has taken a year of your life - how much more are you willing to give it?
If my mum doesn't die years before her time, if my family are not hospitalised, if the people I work with in a high risk environment come through this ok, then I'm happy to give whatever it takes.

We had no holiday this year, I'm working Christmas day and our other plans have had to be cancelled, my wife has lost a huge chunk of her working hours and the finances that go with that, my kids have had their education and social development disrupted and my mental and physical health have taken a battering - but we can't stop now.

If my mum doesn't die years before her time, if my family are not hospitalised, if the people I work with in a high risk environment come through this ok, then I'm happy to give whatever it takes.

We had no holiday this year, I'm working Christmas day and our other plans have had to be cancelled, my wife has lost a huge chunk of her working hours and the finances that go with that, my kids have had their education and social development disrupted and my mental and physical health have taken a battering - but we can't stop now.
Let's all hope they and many like them don't miss appointments, or feel they can't go to the doctor to have any of their other ailments checked. Let's hope they don't miss screenings for lumps or pains.

I also hope they have a job to return to and stable mental health in the New Year, because many won't have either if we have a further 3 month lockdown.

Their chance of beating the virus is much, much better than their chance of beating more serious diseases such as stroke, heart attack or cancer.

Back
Top Bottom