Matches Matches During International Breaks

captainox

Noticed that Derby's game has been postponed on 9th September as they've received notification of international call-ups that will be announced this week.

Considering we have a few players that will/could get call-ups, I thought I'd just list what fixtures, we currently have scheduled over international breaks, that would be available to be called off if we (or the opposition) receive at least 3 call-ups:

Tuesday 5th September - Northampton (A) - Pizza Trophy

Saturday 9th September - Lincoln (A)

Saturday 14th October - Reading (A)

Saturday 18th November - Portsmouth (H)

Saturday 23rd March - Lincoln (H)

Noticed that Derby's game has been postponed on 9th September as they've received notification of international call-ups that will be announced this week.

Considering we have a few players that will/could get call-ups, I thought I'd just list what fixtures, we currently have scheduled over international breaks, that would be available to be called off if we (or the opposition) receive at least 3 call-ups:

Tuesday 5th September - Northampton (A) - Pizza Trophy

Saturday 9th September - Lincoln (A)

Saturday 14th October - Reading (A)

Saturday 18th November - Portsmouth (H)

Saturday 23rd March - Lincoln (H)

Reading match will be moved whether it’s called off or not, at least the time will if it’s on that weekend, Sky will want to show a game with no prem or championship on so that fixture will be one of the more appealing ones and TVP will have it an early kick off. Don’t know how many “internationals” they have in there squad now though so hopefully it can at least be played in that weekend?

So we’d have Ciaran Brown missing, Fin Stevens still qualifies for Wales u21s, Beadle would depend on whether England u20s were playing. Is Negru still young enough for the u21s? Harris fringes of the Wales squad.

Reading would be missing Charlie Savage but can’t think of any others.

Reading match will be moved whether it’s called off or not, at least the time will if it’s on that weekend, Sky will want to show a game with no prem or championship on so that fixture will be one of the more appealing ones and TVP will have it an early kick off. Don’t know how many “internationals” they have in there squad now though so hopefully it can at least be played in that weekend?

Sunday lunchtime I suspect, just like Swindon 2011.

Didn't stop big numbers on the sesh that day and won't this time either.

Can't f**king wait.

• React
Reactions: m
Hopefully hear about September 9th decision by end of today. So far Bolton, Portsmouth, Derby and Peterborough have called off. Doubt we'd want to call off the pizza game on 5th even if we could.

So we’d have Ciaran Brown missing, Fin Stevens still qualifies for Wales u21s, Beadle would depend on whether England u20s were playing. Is Negru still young enough for the u21s? Harris fringes of the Wales squad.

Beadle, Brown, Golding, Harris, McGinty, Negru, O'Donkor, Smyth, Stevens have all had call-ups to squads/training camps and/or been on standby in the last year.

Negru only just turned 21 so I imagine still qualifies for them and he is also wanted at a senior level by Moldova if he chose to play for them.

Greg Leigh has been capped by Jamaica 8 times. If he signs you can kiss goodbye to the Reading game sadly.

Beadle, Brown, Golding, Harris, McGinty, Negru, O'Donkor, Smyth, Stevens have all had call-ups to squads/training camps and/or been on standby in the last year.

Negru only just turned 21 so I imagine still qualifies for them and he is also wanted at a senior level by Moldova if he chose to play for them.
Smyth and McGinty are 23/24 now and don’t seem close to call ups, Golding on loan, Negru the key one you’d think. Then we’d have him, Stevens and Brown.

There are a few ahead of Leigh for Jamaica if he does sign.

Reading away on a Saturday lunchtime would be my choice.
More chance of making it to work on Monday morning!

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
Smyth and McGinty are 23/24 now and don’t seem close to call ups, Golding on loan, Negru the key one you’d think. Then we’d have him, Stevens and Brown.

There are a few ahead of Leigh for Jamaica if he does sign.
McGinty was called up to the Ireland training camp in May, albeit when they were just using EFL/LoI players and he'd had some gametime for us.
But not beyond the realms of possibility that he gets drafted in as 3rd/4th choice if any other keepers unavailable.

But yeah the main ones are Brown/Negru/Stevens, and given Harris went to the world cup, you'd think him playing regular games might be attractive to Rob Page.

Imagine Pompey will be off in March as they have Morrell, Whyte, Lane, Robertson all regularly called up for their countries, with Poole and Yengi also possibilities.

I don't know which international youth teams are playing in the upcoming window?

But also worth pointing out that Lincoln have three guys who've been playing in the Irish U19s and U21s - Roughan, Gallagher & Duffy. They've also a couple of Scots that have played for their U21s (including Erhahon who we were linked with earlier in the summer) although I think they may have aged out......I'm never quite sure what the cut-off date is.
And they have Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, who's just started playing for St.Lucia. They have a monster CONCACAF Nations League game against Sint Maarten coming up on Sept. 7th!

So it might not just be down to whether we have three called up.

Can't imagine they'll want to rearrange the Pizza Trophy game though, surely? Just play with whoever's left in the building!

Reading’s match against Bristol Rovers on 9th September was called off yesterday, which suggests our game against them on 14th October will also be off

I think we can expect any of our games that fall on international breaks being called off. We will lose at least 3 players every time.

I wonder whether no games below the Championship should be cancelled due to international call ups?
It would make things a lot simpler and more consistent.
So Lincoln have 4 to 5 in U21 squads' tough!
Or would that be too unfair on certain clubs?

I wonder whether no games below the Championship should be cancelled due to international call ups?
It would make things a lot simpler and more consistent.
So Lincoln have 4 to 5 in U21 squads' tough!
Or would that be too unfair on certain clubs?

It won't happen but I agree with you, its only about 4 games spread out over the season, no different to when you have a few injuries/suspensions/Dave Kitson not fancying it because he wants to go Christmas shopping etc, the sort of thing you just have to overcome in a 46 game season. Seems a bit poncey and up your own a**e to call a game off because your left back, back up centre midfielder and occasionally on the bench left winger are unavailable due to playing for St Lucia B, Transylvania under 23s and Narnia U17s, most fans would rather keep as many saturday 3pm fixtures.

It won't happen but I agree with you, its only about 4 games spread out over the season, no different to when you have a few injuries/suspensions/Dave Kitson not fancying it because he wants to go Christmas shopping etc, the sort of thing you just have to overcome in a 46 game season. Seems a bit poncey and up your own a**e to call a game off because your left back, back up centre midfielder and occasionally on the bench left winger are unavailable due to playing for St Lucia B, Transylvania under 23s and Narnia U17s, most fans would rather keep as many saturday 3pm fixtures.
It's frustrating, but if you think we could be without Beadle, McGinty, Brown, Leigh, Negru, Smyth and Harris, I'd much rather forego the Saturday fixture to have those players available. Could make all the difference this season.

Back
Top Bottom