Matches Would you attend football matches as of now?

Would you return to the Kassam Stadium (and/or follow to away stadium)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MalaysiaYellow

Interesting Question which I have seen across the globe for Sporting Events, so thought would ask posters here.

If an optional Covid-19 vaccine was available now, Kassam Stadium was opened up with no restrictions. Masks and Social Distancing were optional, would you return to the stadium alone or with family as you did before?

If you saw Border Control at Heathrow last Saturday it reminded me of a packed away end!

Not yet I wouldn't.

On a personal level I am yet to have a vaccine - which as an asthma sufferer would make me feel a bit safer.

On a societal level, not enough people have as yet had the vaccine to stop events such as football spreading the virus again - we are only now down to early October levels of infection in the UK after people being silly at Christmas. That's taken six weeks. If we start spreading it again before mass inoculation then there would be another spike, more deaths and a lock down lasting for *at least* another six weeks after sporting events were suspended again.

I think I am resigned to (and certainly hoping for) a return to going to football at the start of the next season.

If done so like last time then absolutely yes but understand either way. I'm 24 with no underlying health conditions and working from home.

I'm following the rules and only leave house for exercise and shopping.

Last edited:
If i'd had the jab, and matches were socially distanced as when tier 1/tier 2 requirements were briefly introduced, to start with for a few weeks, then, as National vaccine roll outs reach 30m + (late March? ) , restrictions were eased properly

yes , I would

Not yet I wouldn't, any more than I'd get on a plane. I might once everyone had been vaccinated and no new cases recorded for X months.

Amazing how being away from live football affects you. Right now I'd rather be able to walk into a pub spontaneously than attend a football match.

Much as I’d like to, I’d much rather see deaths drop way down first as the vaccine brings numbers down.
Due a vaccine soon and once the second one is done the season will be over.
I wanted a season ticket this year as I’m due to retire in October but collect state pension from March 2021

Have both been vaccinated so we would go but as its a distance we would not want to prevent others if crowds are back to 2000 max. Have saved petrol money by watching all games on i follow.

I would go Saturday, I have to go out to work every day so not certain why I would turn down the chance to go out and do something I actually like.

Plus I am putting some fencing up this weekend and it would get me out of that.

• React
Reactions: m
Not yet I wouldn't, any more than I'd get on a plane. I might once everyone had been vaccinated and no new cases recorded for X months.

Amazing how being away from live football affects you. Right now I'd rather be able to walk into a pub spontaneously than attend a football match.

Is that actually realistic? I would understand if you had said 'deaths' or 'ICU cases' instead, but the virus isn't going to go away.

I was just thinking this morning how great it would be to walk into a pub and have a pint at the bar, no masks, booking in, meal, QR code B*****s. It’s the simplest things you really miss.

As another person who's worked from a workplace all the way through, yes, I would - assuming it was in a controlled fashion like before Christmas.

I have underlying health issues which bump me up the queue bit have not yet been vaccinated.

Not without reservations. Optional face masks and social distancing wouldn't work, has to be mandatory.
Let's face it, sadly, we are going to be stuck with this for a while longer. Once the danger from Covid-19 has been reduced to something akin to a strong flu like illness, then, yes.
Nothing against the approach we had before this lockdown. Limited numbers and safety measures in place and we'd be back in a shot.
And, no vaccination - no entry. (medical exceptions proviso in place)

A couple of things concern me.
The UK's approach has been IMO to get the various vaccines and get the population jabbed and hence R rate goes down and track and trace then kicks in. Whilst at the same time trying to avoid big lockdowns by using the common sense rules and vaguely self regulated self-isolation.
But the recent case in a quarantine hotel in Brisbane suggests the virus is floating in the air rather than coughs and sneezes / not washing your hands. Two rooms on a corridor had infections and they think the only connection is open doors at the same time.
Also if the vaccines are ineffective against South Africa variant, then the herd vaccination policy flies out of the window.
Hence we are now bringing in the mandatory hotel quarantines. Also the people i've heard self-isolating with Covid have been phoned many times a day to check they are not out and about.

Back to the point, wearing a cloth mask on the train and bus to the ground, even if sanitising your hands after touching door handles may not be enough if the virus is microscopic particles in the air.

Not without reservations. Optional face masks and social distancing wouldn't work, has to be mandatory.
Let's face it, sadly, we are going to be stuck with this for a while longer. Once the danger from Covid-19 has been reduced to something akin to a strong flu like illness, then, yes.
Nothing against the approach we had before this lockdown. Limited numbers and safety measures in place and we'd be back in a shot.
And, no vaccination - no entry. (medical exceptions proviso in place)

Over 70's only then :D

Football isn't the concern for me, it gigs. A crowd I was in (not my video)...

...i can't imagine getting back to anything remotely like this any time soon.

A couple of things concern me.
The UK's approach has been IMO to get the various vaccines and get the population jabbed and hence R rate goes down and track and trace then kicks in. Whilst at the same time trying to avoid big lockdowns by using the common sense rules and vaguely self regulated self-isolation.
But the recent case in a quarantine hotel in Brisbane suggests the virus is floating in the air rather than coughs and sneezes / not washing your hands. Two rooms on a corridor had infections and they think the only connection is open doors at the same time.
Also if the vaccines are ineffective against South Africa variant, then the herd vaccination policy flies out of the window.
Hence we are now bringing in the mandatory hotel quarantines. Also the people i've heard self-isolating with Covid have been phoned many times a day to check they are not out and about.

Back to the point, wearing a cloth mask on the train and bus to the ground, even if sanitising your hands after touching door handles may not be enough if the virus is microscopic particles in the air.
This is not correct. The vaccines are effective and are being monitored and adjusted to meet all variants as and when they are detected. The whole process will work very much in line with the already accepted flu vaccine. This is modified/added to every year according to the variant(s) that is/are detected.

To be honest - the footy game is only part of a real day out - Pre match meet up - drinks - game - post match celebration - especially those away day weekends.

So I quite enjoy just the i follow coverage as an interim solution

To me its all or nothing and when we can COVID manage - hope that makes sense.

As above...... it`s the whole day rather than just the match for me.

Happy for there to be fans at games if they wish, just not me thanks until life has reverted to far more normal.

This is not correct. The vaccines are effective and are being monitored and adjusted to meet all variants as and when they are detected. The whole process will work very much in line with the already accepted flu vaccine. This is modified/added to every year according to the variant(s) that is/are detected.
Well rather than "ineffective", perhaps "less effective" in the story below for one particular vaccine.

60% compared to 95%. So if the whole aim has been to get people vaccinated and the country back to normal, the SA variant (and others to come) will I think delay this for months to come.

As there are several vaccines out there, presumably some are more effective than others, but i don't believe the tweak to modify them is going to be a five minute (or even five week) job. story below says could be six months.

Back
Top Bottom