Matches Entry to Matches (Covid).

Deanroger

Does anybody know how this is going to work if we do see a return to unlimited attendances? The only way I can see it working is if a negative test result / certificate is shown prior to ground entry. Double jabbed people can still catch and pass on the virus. I ask the question because I had a very bad reaction to the first vaccine jab and am highly reluctant to have another one of any sort. However, getting my season ticket renewed and watching live games again is something I desperately want to do.

My Mother in Law also had a very bad reaction to her 1st jab to the point that we had to call an ambulance for her. She was very worried just like yourself regarding haveing her 2nd jab. She had it and no problems at all. Hopefully her experience can go someway to easing your anxiety over your 2nd jab.

I have heard people having no problems with the first jab but adverse reactions to the second and visa versa but never a bad reaction to both.

There are currently no restrictions on numbers at sports events so it will be up to each club to decide who and how to seat safely.

Even if you've had the second jab it doesn't stop you catching, carrying, spreading or even in some cases being seriously ill. I know of 3 people that have been double vaccinated and 2 of them ended in hospital. Testing before entry is the only way to allow mass crowds in my opinion.

You must had the 2nd jab. To protect yourself, and others.
I can assure you that if you spend a week in hospital after having a needle stuck in you, you do not rush out for a repeat performance.

Even if you've had the second jab it doesn't stop you catching, carrying, spreading or even in some cases being seriously ill. I know of 3 people that have been double vaccinated and 2 of them ended in hospital. Testing before entry is the only way to allow mass crowds in my opinion.
I suppose the question then is - which test? The lateral flow tests are available (at least currently) and while slightly unpleasant are easy to administer to yourself and are free - you get the result in half an hour. The more reliable PCR tests are supposedly only for those that have symptoms and according to last night's news there is a shortage of them - they are being reserved for key workers and others in vital industries. I am not sure that hundreds of thousands of football supporters every week will qualify and of course you have to send them off to get the results anyway.
So it will have to be the lateral flow tests. A lot of people are doing these fairly regularly anyway. But let's be honest here, even waving a negative test or an email from the NHS saying you have a negative test at a steward on your way in isn't really proof, either that you yourself have taken the test or that you haven't become infected since.
What tests were done for all of these 'test events'?

I believe LFT's were used but not the free ones from the NHS. The more accurate ones cost about £30 per kit and are required for travelling.

The Athletic was reporting this morning that it understands that, for matches from October 1 onwards, players, staff and attending supporters will have to be double vaccinated unless there is a medical reason that excuses them.
The rules are expected to come into force for games attracting a minimum crowd of 10,000. That would affect all Premier League and the majority of Championship matches, as well as some in Leagues One and Two.

We played Sheffield Wednesday away on 2nd October and Sunderland away on 9th October - both of which will have 10k crowds.

I suppose the question then is - which test? The lateral flow tests are available (at least currently) and while slightly unpleasant are easy to administer to yourself and are free - you get the result in half an hour. The more reliable PCR tests are supposedly only for those that have symptoms and according to last night's news there is a shortage of them - they are being reserved for key workers and others in vital industries. I am not sure that hundreds of thousands of football supporters every week will qualify and of course you have to send them off to get the results anyway.
So it will have to be the lateral flow tests. A lot of people are doing these fairly regularly anyway. But let's be honest here, even waving a negative test or an email from the NHS saying you have a negative test at a steward on your way in isn't really proof, either that you yourself have taken the test or that you haven't become infected since.
What tests were done for all of these 'test events'?

For the cricket at Edgbaston v New Zealand - it was show proof of a negative result from a lateral flow taken up to a maximum of 24 hours before the start of the day's play. If you attended more than one day, then it was a test for each day attending.
As part of being a pilot event, you were sent a PCR test to take on the morning of and then one to do 5 days after your attendance. No charge for anything.

For the test event England friendlies at Middlesbrough, it was show proof of a negative result from a lateral flow taken up to a maximum of 48 hours before kick-off. But no PCR required as it wasn't a government pilot event. And the same for all games at Wembley during the Euros. All of them were lateral flows that you pick up from the chemist/can order online for free.

For the cricket at Edgbaston v New Zealand - it was show proof of a negative result from a lateral flow taken up to a maximum of 24 hours before the start of the day's play. If you attended more than one day, then it was a test for each day attending.
As part of being a pilot event, you were sent a PCR test to take on the morning of and then one to do 5 days after your attendance. No charge for anything.

For the test event England friendlies at Middlesbrough, it was show proof of a negative result from a lateral flow taken up to a maximum of 48 hours before kick-off. But no PCR required as it wasn't a government pilot event. And the same for all games at Wembley during the Euros. All of them were lateral flows that you pick up from the chemist/can order online for free.
Hopefully the club can confirm the arrangements fairly soon so that people are not put off going.

Hopefully the club can confirm the arrangements fairly soon so that people are not put off going.
I'm not aware of any clubs who have had friendly crowds requiring any negative test results for entry.

This may not sit well with some but, at some point we are going to have to accept that Covid-19 is here to stay. We will have to accept that there will be a risk much the same as Flu and other viral infections. At some point life has to get back to some sort of normality.
Mrs Lounger and I have both been double jabbed, we both had a reaction to the first but not the second. The reaction was not severe although we were both aware that there was a risk attached (as there is to most medicines)

And, before anyone says how insensitive we are, we have both lost acquaintances and work colleagues to Covid related illness.

This may not sit well with some but, at some point we are going to have to accept that Covid-19 is here to stay. We will have to accept that there will be a risk much the same as Flu and other viral infections. At some point life has to get back to some sort of normality.
I agree - but in the current climate (cases at 50,000 per day and deaths at about 100, with hospitals filling up again, with some projections* putting the peak for the current wave in mid September with daily deaths then between 100 and 900) - maybe we need to just be patient for another few weeks?

*https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=resource-use&tab=trend&resource=all_resources

Mrs Lounger and I have both been double jabbed, we both had a reaction to the first but not the second. The reaction was not severe although we were both aware that there was a risk attached (as there is to most medicines)

And, before anyone says how insensitive we are, we have both lost acquaintances and work colleagues to Covid related illness.
But there's no point in encouraging particularly risky behaviour during the pandemic. Until everyone is double jabbed I'd be happy to restrict attendance to season ticket holders- after that, as someone said above, I'd want a vaccine passport for large events, not necessarily just 10K crowds.

I agree - but in the current climate (cases at 50,000 per day and deaths at about 100, with hospitals filling up again, with some projections* putting the peak for the current wave in mid September with daily deaths then between 100 and 900) - maybe we need to just be patient for another few weeks?

*https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=resource-use&tab=trend&resource=all_resources
If everyone offered, takes up the offer of a double dose then by mid-August we should be on track for, at least, a safer UK.

The Athletic was reporting this morning that it understands that, for matches from October 1 onwards, players, staff and attending supporters will have to be double vaccinated unless there is a medical reason that excuses them.
The rules are expected to come into force for games attracting a minimum crowd of 10,000. That would affect all Premier League and the majority of Championship matches, as well as some in Leagues One and Two.

We played Sheffield Wednesday away on 2nd October and Sunderland away on 9th October - both of which will have 10k crowds.
I wonder how many away fans will be included in those figures.

Back
Top Bottom