EPL Man U

They ran a combined 3.65km less than Liverpool, and less in every game this season bar v Newcastle and Wolves.
I am not surprised that Newcastle are so bad, but a little surprised about Wolves.
Terrible from a Man U perspective. Ollie has to take quite any of blame as he would see these statistics game after game after game.

And so far this season in ranking with the rest of the EPL, they are
20th - total tackles
20th - duels won
18th - interceptions
18th - aerial duels won
15th - ball recoveries
20th - errors leading to shot

Football has become so ridiculously stats based. All these stats are fairly meaningless unless you’re accompanying them with where precisely on the pitch they happened. Who really gives a sh*t if your winger challenged the right back, on the byline, closes down his clearance, meaning a goal kick which the keeper then launches - from a run up - the ball 30 yards further upfield than the right back ever would have done.

Football has become so ridiculously stats based. All these stats are fairly meaningless unless you’re accompanying them with where precisely on the pitch they happened. Who really gives a sh*t if your winger challenged the right back, on the byline, closes down his clearance, meaning a goal kick which the keeper then launches - from a run up - the ball 30 yards further upfield than the right back ever would have done.
But it shows they are not competing in the game, and then making lots of mistakes. And in the fullback example - when you are playing Liverpool whose fullbacks are so important going forward, you have to press and challenge them high up the pitch.

But it shows they are not competing in the game, and then making lots of mistakes. And in the fullback example - when you are playing Liverpool whose fullbacks are so important going forward, you have to press and challenge them high up the pitch.

‘Press’ , my god how many times have I heard that word in the last week. Liverpool out ran Aston Villa a season or two back and lost 7-1, I think it was.

Leeds out ran Man United last season and conceded 6. What exactly is this proving ? Yes, you have to work, it’s your job after all but to suggest you have to out run the opposition and press more than they do is the biggest load of nonsense ever.

By definition, a counter attack team aren’t pressing the ball. They are absorbing pressure and theres a whole load of successful counter attacking sides.

It’s the current buzz word by pundits and gullible fans jump on it and think it’s the only way you can win a football match.

‘Press’ , my god how many times have I heard that word in the last week. Liverpool out ran Aston Villa a season or two back and lost 7-1, I think it was.

Leeds out ran Man United last season and conceded 6. What exactly is this proving ? Yes, you have to work, it’s your job after all but to suggest you have to out run the opposition and press more than they do is the biggest load of nonsense ever.

By definition, a counter attack team aren’t pressing the ball. They are absorbing pressure and theres a whole load of successful counter attacking sides.

It’s the current buzz word by pundits and gullible fans jump on it and think it’s the only way you can win a football match.
I am not sure that it is too difficult to think that if all but 2 teams work harder (running further), then you could have a problem.
All clubs use stats (Brentford sign players pretty much based on stats) and whilst stats aren't the be all and end all, you can't ignore them.
Anyway maybe Man U were totally outclassed?

Yes, but Liverpool aren't one. That is why you have to play the team you are against. There are always tactical ways around things. Villa didn't win 7-1 by sitting back, they took the game to Liverpool. The issue Man Utd had was they didn't really know what they were doing, some players pressed, others sat back (others just wandered around in daze). The stats, whilst not in isolation directly meaningful out of context, in combination, and having watched the game to know the context, show a team not competing.
Zero to do with gullibility, and whilst pressing may be the current term teams have done it at different times for decades under different names.

Back
Top Bottom