General Mackie

The coaching staff have done a wonderful job nurturing talent, and long may it continue.
Agyei was an inspiration when he came on. He is a raw talent and looks ready for the step up. I was disappointed wit( Mackie last night. To me he was slow but also didn’t get involved in the hard tackles he is so well known for.
That said had he scored last night, when he was denied by their keeper, he would’ve done his job and done it well

I can handle the fact Mackie doesn’t score if he’s assisting but I’m struggling to think of a direct assist he’s had recently. If he’s doing neither and it’s all about endeavour then can’t we find someone ten years younger and who is capable of more than two goals in six months.

He was younger, and wasn't being used in anything like the same role, he was a wide player.

Yes. But given his quoted failing is a lack of technical ability, and considering that he's never been fast...

I’ve just rewatched the first half. Mackie worked hard in all sorts of areas, nearly scored, and got some complimentary mentions from the commentators . He’s also not as slow as you might expect from a 34 year old who looks like he enjoys a good time. On the other hand Holland did little and not much Brown tried came off. Players get stereotyped on this board and people tend to pile on the current boo boy.

Ten pages on this......
It's quite simple.
Huge amount of effort.
No pace.
Zero goal threat.
Way, way past it.
Pretends to be fouled all the time.
Endlessly gobby.
Which is fun to watch.
But adds nothing of any value.
Holds up play.
Because he is so slow.
Should not be anywhere near the starting XI.
That just about sums it up?!

No pace? He is still pretty quick and never stops running.

Zero goal threat? Took a great save to stop him scoring last night, and against Man City too (both PL defences).

Holds up play? That's his role, it brings our midfield into the game.

Is consistently selected by a manager and coaching team who know far more than most on here.

That just about offers balance?!

Zero goal threat? Took a great save to stop him scoring last night, and against Man City too (both PL defences).

Is consistently selected by a manager and coaching team who know far more than most on here.

I don't think he is good at holding play up at all - certainly not as well as Taylor does, and not as well as Agyei on Tuesdays showing. He doesn't have good close control of the ball.
There will always be the odd example where he (or any player) does, but regularly he doesn't.

As for the non existstant jumping for headers and just jumping into the defender, we'll, that's just got boring and non effective... Just like this post and argument I expect.

Oh yes, not scapegoating, just opinions. We all love him for his effort.

Would all be well and good if he actually did hold the ball up.

The coaching staff have done a wonderful job nurturing talent, and long may it continue.
Agyei was an inspiration when he came on. He is a raw talent and looks ready for the step up. I was disappointed wit( Mackie last night. To me he was slow but also didn’t get involved in the hard tackles he is so well known for.
That said had he scored last night, when he was denied by their keeper, he would’ve done his job and done it well

but he didn't..

I'd agree that he's got decent pace for a 34 year old but you never really see that pace come in to effect on the ball . He uses it to good effect chasing lost causes but how many times does he actually charge down a clearance or win back the ball ? The only real positive I can see is that his zig zag chasing down from keeper to right back to left back helps raise the tempo of the crowd and in turn can ramp up the tempo in our play for a bit but you are generally in need of an increase in tempo if things are flagging in the latter stages of a game and this, I think, is where he will be best utelised - off the bench, chasing the game, 20 minutes to go.

Experience, nous call it what you like.
It`s how the younger players will learn the craft.
For all we know he could also be well respected amongst the group of players and someone the younger players "need" in the team.
He also has an ability to connect with the crowd, chasing down keepers, lost causes etc gets the crowd buzzing, in turn that vibe/energy can lift the players.
There is far more to it than just sticking the ball in the net.

We will see a gradual transition as the next one comes along the production line, and that will apply to every position on the pitch, its a short career at the peak of an individuals game.

Need to complain about someone. And Rob Hall is now at Forest Green...
I guess that proves most were right in comments about Hall... and about Sykes earlier in the season.

Now, if only Karl would listen about Mackie...

I guess that proves most were right in comments about Hall... and about Sykes earlier in the season.

Now, if only Karl would listen about Mackie...

So most on here are right and KR is wrong...

Interesting that Mackie’s ‘dog chasing a tennis ball’ routine in relation to running towards a goalkeeper is seen as a positive by so many. He never gets near it before it’s smashed clear, and while it might make the good old fashioned English football fans wipe a tear away, it means he’s offside for the next 15-odd seconds while he trots back in line with their defence. Meanwhile if we win the header or the second ball there’s nobody up top to look for, so the ball has to go backwards or sideways which pins us in and stops us being able to attack / counter effectively. By the time he is back onside, even if we have the ball the other team is set.

To think this charade is in any way positive is to fundamentally ignore the game in front of you. When you play an isolated central striker it becomes a problem if they’re always gallivanting around chasing the goalie. Ever wondered why players higher up don’t indulge in this routine to anywhere near this extent? It’s for that very reason - it takes them out of the game for a sustained period of time as well as needlessly running down their stamina. They will only do it if they know the keeper will play it short and therefore they won’t be left stranded 30-40 yards offside, and the only sides you will see doing it often are the ones who have a pair up front who like to bash about a bit, such as Burnley, where one chases down and the other doesn’t, so that they’re available to receive the ball in the event that the defence / midfield wins it back. If you’re old fashioned and think that blindly running towards the goalkeeper ten times a game makes someone a hero then I can understand why you’d think Jamie Mackie is great, but all it does is take him out of the game and lose us the ability to get going. Especially since it isn’t even like he goes towards the keeper and then arcs his run and comes back to get onside quickly, but rather goes full a**e in the air, Kung fu kick, flying past the goalkeeper to show how committed he is. It doesn’t do anything.

Still, at least when he bundles in his third goal in near on 40 appearances at some point in the next half a dozen matches, it’ll give me the joy of seeing people trying to make out that it proves he’s great.

Back
Top Bottom