Ex Player Luke McNally

We can agree to disagree given it’s pretty subjective 🤝🙂
Ricky
I normally think that you talk real sense, but are you really suggesting that McNally now is a better defender than Dickie when he left?
I would go as far as to say that had Dickie been here ( as if in his last season with us) instead of McNally we would have comfortably made the play offs)
McNally has huge potential but when Dickie left he was a teriffic player.

I guess the same way dozens of clubs manage every season to make big name sales on deadline day extracting maximum from desperate purchasers. I don’t think it’s that “out there” especially given he has a contract for two years. If he doesn’t sell then just flog him next window.

I presume it’s not hard to have more than two decent central defenders in a squad.

One assumes Oxford would be aware of his medical fitness and would know if he’s going to pass or fail. That’s a bizarre one to question.

I think that number only looks good in the same way someone would be happy if they sold their house for more than they bought it even if it was 30% below the market value.

The key point is that very few of our sell ons have actually kicked in since 2016.

Burnley have just been relegated from the richest league in the world. Sold a goalie for tens of millions and have parachute payments worth tens of millions.

We’ve just sold them a defender better than Dickie (who is rated one of the best in that league) for 1.6m gbp. My opinion is that’s not good business
1.8 million was mentioned by BBC sport and that’s for a player who has only played in 35 EFL games. Keep him for another year and we may have got closer towards 3.5 million but also keep him for another year and he might get injured and we get nothing.
So for 35 games in the EFL 1.8 plus add ons is good business and if his replacement is as good as then that’s good business.

I retract my Ashton point about deadline day specifically. Great research. Perception. > reality

I still think we’ve under negotiated and he was good at negotiation

How often did he sell his best asset 60 days before the transfer window “SLAMMED SHUT”?

I don't think it's an issue of timing as such, surely it's about the offer - whenever it arrives. There's obviously a ceiling to his worth in the clubs eyes and we didn't just get all starry when they opened the bidding. We held firm for what is a very realistic evaluation.

Ricky
I normally think that you talk real sense, but are you really suggesting that McNally now is a better defender than Dickie when he left?
I would go as far as to say that had Dickie been here ( as if in his last season with us) instead of McNally we would have comfortably made the play offs)
McNally has huge potential but when Dickie left he was a teriffic player.

Yes. I think he’s stupendously good. He’s better going forward and has more recovery speed which is critical. Forum god @tonyw also aligns that he has more potential. So I’ll be in Tony’s camp and you can be on Team Bazzer (see above)

I apologise that you’ve fallen into the trap of thinking I normally talk sense 😉

Right I’m going back to sleep it’s stupid o clock here.

Burnley must be one of the favourites to go back up. As mentioned they have the funds so if needed they can go out and buy players of pedigree. I would hope we have various clauses in the sell on that include getting promotion, number of games played etc. I think it’s good busines.

Burnley, iirc, have to repay a £65m* loan from the takeover after their relegation. The parachute payments will go against this if the reports I've seen are accurate. They've seriously cut their wage bill with the likes of Tarkowski, Mee, Pope etc moving on and others likely to go. They will I reckon get decent money in with the likelihood of McNeil, Collins and Cornet moving on so they should still have the resources to rebuild, but it won't be like Fulham.

I think their rebuild approach is signposted by the centre halves they targeted who are all young players with potential. This I think will be repeated elsewhere as Scott Twine also demonstrates.

*The figure may be different but it is significant.

If we are looking at a equally as good defender , why didn't burnley go for that one?

Fair enough . I disagree.

Also my final point (I don’t want to get into one of those awful arguments surrounding this forum right now) but if Burnley found someone else I think you’d still find plenty of buyers interested in McNally. Tottenham were being touted as interested only a week ago (pinch of salt) but you get the point
Yes, I agree re petty arguments ! No thanks !

Your view, in my opinion, isn't wildly off the scale and there will be a fair few who think we could have got a bit more.

I retract my Ashton point about deadline day specifically. Great research. Perception. > reality

I still think we’ve under negotiated and he was good at negotiation

How often did he sell his best asset 60 days before the transfer window “SLAMMED SHUT”?
Sorry I'm going to come back again as I'm not at work today so have the time to dig!

The majority of sale of "key players" at Bristol City were wrapped up by early August, with 2 to 3 weeks left in the window in his time there, the latest one appears to have been Kodija as referred to above.

Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth - within 2 weeks of the previous season ending.
Aden Flint to Boro - Late June
Bobby Reid to Cardiff - Late June
Adam Webster to Brighton - first week of August prior to first game
Marlon Pack to Cardiff - 8th August (1 game into season)
Joe Bryan to Fulham - 9th August (1 game into season)

Josh Brownhill went to Burnley late in January in 2019

I can't see that any one would have paid for than £2m for McNally at this point in time based on his 30 appearances in L1. People have pointed to the Matt Clarke fee, but at the point he moved from Pompey to Brighton - he had played almost 150 games across L1 and L2, at pretty much the same age as McNally is now.

We could have played hard ball and asked for a ridiculous fee that would never have been met and then kept an unhappy player around. Once Luke had made it clear he wanted to talk to Burnley, there was no way he was going to be staying with us.

Personally, I'm a lot more in favour of losing a player early than having weeks and weeks of gossip and hearsay (Brannagan last two windows) or losing someone at the last minute (Baptiste/Fosu)

Last edited:
Sorry I'm going to come back again as I'm not at work today so have the time to dig!

The majority of sale of "key players" at Bristol City were wrapped up by early August, with 2 to 3 weeks left in the window in his time there, the latest one appears to have been Kodija as referred to above.

Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth - within 2 weeks of the previous season ending.
Aden Flint to Boro - Late June
Bobby Reid to Cardiff - Late June
Adam Webster to Brighton - first week of August prior to first game
Marlon Pack to Cardiff - 8th August (1 game into season)
Joe Bryan to Fulham - 9th August (1 game into season)

Josh Brownhill went to Burnley late in January in 2019

I can't see that any one would have paid for than £2m for McNally at this point in time based on his 30 appearances in L1. People have pointed to the Matt Clarke fee, but at the point he moved from Pompey to Brighton - he had played almost 150 games across L1 and L2, at pretty much the same age as McNally is now.

We could have played hard ball and asked for a ridiculous fee that would never have been met and then kept an unhappy player around. Once Luke had made it clear he wanted to talk to Burnley, there was no way he was going to be staying with us.

Personally, I'm a lot more in favour of losing a player early than having weeks and weeks of gossip and hearsay (Brannagan last two windows) or losing someone at the last minute (Baptiste/Fosu)

So Baptiste makes the point nicely ….(and since you have the time 😂)

Played how many games for us?
Went last minute for how much?

I think it’s a close run thing but I’d take 200 more pages of this thread for an extra million or so.actually …. 🥺🫣😩😤

So Baptiste makes the point nicely ….(and since you have the time 😂)

Played how many games for us?
Went last minute for how much?

I think it’s a close run thing but I’d take 200 more pages of this thread for an extra million or so.actually …. 🥺🫣😩😤
Baptiste made 43 appearances in total. (37 if ignore the EFL Trophy)
Fee said to be £2.25m plus add ons.

Baptiste made 43 appearances in total. (37 if ignore the EFL Trophy)
Fee said to be £2.25m plus add ons.

26 league games btw, very injury prone and 40% more transfer fee up front plus add ons to both .

However admittedly it’s just one example. I accept there’s no science to this. Thanks for the data trawl. Interesting stuff

I wish Luke McNally all the best. You could see the lad was talented and our recruitment team should be applauded for finding and nurturing that raw talent. He deserves his chance and we have a hefty chunk of cash to reinvest.
It’s good business all round for Oxford!👍🏽

I think realistically the only time we could have got more money is if he had have been sold in Jan 23 window. That window typically is when selling clubs get good deals from slightly more desperate clubs.

It would have had to have been Jan as next Summer he’d only have had 1 year left on his contract. Of course between now and January he could have got injured / lost form etc.

One of the things that did surprise me about the deal was that it seemed Burnley were the only seriously interested club. Once their interest was known did the club then tour him to other clubs?

Great player that he was, if he could be replaced with a more experienced / ready to go centre back then in the short term at least we may not lose out and might be stronger. I think at times McNally positionally was caught out, purely down to lack of experience.

26 league games btw, very injury prone and 40% more transfer fee up front plus add ons to both .

However admittedly it’s just one example. I accept there’s no science to this. Thanks for the data trawl. Interesting stuff
I think midfielders are worth more than defenders generally.

Bet he ain’t happy they’re playing Taylor a left back over him at centre back.

Twine also benched for an academy lad.

Is he injured? I know Burnley signed a new defender but Luke wasn’t even on the bench last night

Bet he ain’t happy they’re playing Taylor a left back over him at centre back.

Twine also benched for an academy lad.
I think that Twine is injured but McNally seems to br out of favour

Back
Top Bottom