Ex Player Luke McNally

I have no problem with the business model we're operating - find them cheap, build them up, sell them on. It's the sensible way for a club in our situation to go so that we don't end up adding five million to our debts each and every season.

I do, however, have a problem with the fee here, if indeed this sale happens and 1.6m is the correct figure.

McNally is raw but he has absolutely all the tools that a modern day central defender needs - good in the air, strong, very quick and comfortable bringing the ball out of defense. Scores goals too. His potential is through the roof. And he has two years left on his contract, so we're not desperate.

If he improves as much in the next year as he did in the last, then you're going to be selling him to a Premier League club and at least doubling that fee.
We look like we're going to get <6 million combined for Dickie, McNally & Atkinson whilst Pompey got 3.5-4 million for Matt Clarke alone, who was in the final year of his contract and hasn't played a single minute of Premier League football for Brighton!

Yes, you want to develop a reputation as being a great stepping stone for young players. But if you develop a reputation as being a doormat for players, who will give up and sell every time a Championship club comes calling with a seven figure fee, then you end up leaving a ton of money on the table - as well as not fielding as strong a team as you could.

When Matt Clarke was sold he wasn’t even the best central defender in Lge 1 at the time either.

I used him as a comparison to Darling who went to Swansea, and he was the best defender last season. Some clubs extract more out of clubs than others, and I think that’s a bit of a let down on the recruitment team finding these gems, and our time and effort to give them game time to develop.

If what’s been reported £1.6m/£2m with add ons that’s not so bad, and it makes the Darling deal look poor, unless he had a minimum release clause in his contract that the Swansea manager would of known about, as he was previously the manager of MK.

But is it the business model to buy players cheap and sell for a profit ?

Or is it more the get good players to get game time at a league or two below their ultimate ability ? Players and club benefit here.

Of recent owners and managers , Lenagan I don’t think managed to subsidise any of his losses through player sales.

Eales and Appleton and Ashton managed to get the model of attracting players down to L2 to get game time , get a promotion , and move on. Perhaps finances forced Eales’ hand to sell players / the club rather than pursue a route to the Championship.

Tiger and Robbo were perhaps following on that model. Get good players to drop down / develop. And sell for a profit and subsidise losses.

Now it’s Erick and Anandya, and Robbo. Perhaps there isn’t the necessity to sell for cash. But we can’t hold players back. And if we do, then it will be harder to get those type of players in the future.

Has the transfer been announced or is it all speculation?

But is it the business model to buy players cheap and sell for a profit ?

Or is it more the get good players to get game time at a league or two below their ultimate ability ? Players and club benefit here.

Of recent owners and managers , Lenagan I don’t think managed to subsidise any of his losses through player sales.

Eales and Appleton and Ashton managed to get the model of attracting players down to L2 to get game time , get a promotion , and move on. Perhaps finances forced Eales’ hand to sell players / the club rather than pursue a route to the Championship.

Tiger and Robbo were perhaps following on that model. Get good players to drop down / develop. And sell for a profit and subsidise losses.

Now it’s Erick and Anandya, and Robbo. Perhaps there isn’t the necessity to sell for cash. But we can’t hold players back. And if we do, then it will be harder to get those type of players in the future.
Absolutely this - once a higher level club has come in and offered 3 x salary, that player isn't staying. Yes in reality the club could force them to stay but how many of us force a disgruntled employee to stay for more than a few months if they really want to go?

I'm sure there probably is an example out there but can anyone provide more than just a couple of examples where players have been forced to stay against their will when a decent bid is on the table (and £1.6-£2m with add-ons and a decent sell-on is that for McNally) and they've been offered loads more money - I'd be surprise if more than a couple of examples can be found which tells its own story.

Absolutely this - once a higher level club has come in and offered 3 x salary, that player isn't staying. Yes in reality the club could force them to stay but how many of us force a disgruntled employee to stay for more than a few months if they really want to go?

I'm sure there probably is an example out there but can anyone provide more than just a couple of examples where players have been forced to stay against their will when a decent bid is on the table (and £1.6-£2m with add-ons and a decent sell-on is that for McNally) and they've been offered loads more money - I'd be surprise if more than a couple of examples can be found which tells its own story.

Well, here's three transfer sagas that are ongoing at the moment, where clubs are supposedly rejecting big bids for their players from bigger clubs (though I'll admit the Windass one is an oddity because I have no idea what wages are like at the top of the Argentinian league!):
Jack Rudoni - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...sunderland-afc-wimbledon-jack-rudoni-24272111
Josh Windass - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...-wednesday-athletic-talleres-windass-24165051
Ronnie Edwards - https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...remier-league-club-for-ronnie-edwards-3716961

Some rumours now suggest that Posh have turned down four million for Edwards, because they believe he's worth ten.

When you've got a valuable asset like McNally under team control for a couple of years, it just seem to be bad business to sell him in June to the first Championship club that solidifies their interest. I would be currently placing a 3-4 million Matt Clarke-sized asking price on him - maybe not publicly, but at least letting it be known in footballing circles that that's what we'd want - and then only dropping down to the current 1.5-2m range we're talking about if noone's interested at the higher price, and Luke and his agent are getting really disruptive.

It's not that you don't sell the player - but you should try and extract the most you can from the market, and not give in too soon.......

Well, here's three transfer sagas that are ongoing at the moment, where clubs are supposedly rejecting big bids for their players from bigger clubs (though I'll admit the Windass one is an oddity because I have no idea what wages are like at the top of the Argentinian league!):
Jack Rudoni - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...sunderland-afc-wimbledon-jack-rudoni-24272111
Josh Windass - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...-wednesday-athletic-talleres-windass-24165051
Ronnie Edwards - https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...remier-league-club-for-ronnie-edwards-3716961

Some rumours now suggest that Posh have turned down four million for Edwards, because they believe he's worth ten.

When you've got a valuable asset like McNally under team control for a couple of years, it just seem to be bad business to sell him in June to the first Championship club that solidifies their interest. I would be currently placing a 3-4 million Matt Clarke-sized asking price on him - maybe not publicly, but at least letting it be known in footballing circles that that's what we'd want - and then only dropping down to the current 1.5-2m range we're talking about if noone's interested at the higher price, and Luke and his agent are getting really disruptive.

It's not that you don't sell the player - but you should try and extract the most you can from the market, and not give in too soon.......
I thought that we had turned down 3 previous offers?.
The fact that Burnley were after him was leaked some time ago ( possibly to try and flush out other interested parties)
£2m seems a pretty good deal for a young player with one years experience of league football.
I agree that he has all of the attributes to go higher but that is where the add ons are so important?

I thought that we had turned down 3 previous offers?.
The fact that Burnley were after him was leaked some time ago ( possibly to try and flush out other interested parties)
£2m seems a pretty good deal for a young player with one years experience of league football.
I agree that he has all of the attributes to go higher but that is where the add ons are so important?
Indeed - he has played just 28 L1 games. Before Christmas, Thorniley was keeping him out of the side.

We can all have our own valuation of him but I do genuinely think that the club will have a better idea than me what they can realistically get for him.

Bye Luke, it was fun while it lasted. Let's hope you keep progressing, and we get a mega bucks sell-on:

Good luck to Luke, he certainly is a big powerful CB who can get forward, and has room for development/improvement. But those clips fail to show his defending prowess, and imo he is bang average at defending. When Thorniley left, we were much weaker at the back, much more vulnerable. Remember all the 5 or 6 goal games in 2022…..
Yes, he has more flair than Thorniley, but from a defending point of view it’s still unclear how good he is (and the small sample of evidence available suggests not great). At £1.75million (or there abouts) i’d snap Burnley’s hand off.

Good luck to Luke, he certainly is a big powerful CB who can get forward, and has room for development/improvement. But those clips fail to show his defending prowess, and imo he is bang average at defending. When Thorniley left, we were much weaker at the back, much more vulnerable. Remember all the 5 or 6 goal games in 2022…..
Yes, he has more flair than Thorniley, but from a defending point of view it’s still unclear how good he is (and the small sample of evidence available suggests not great). At £1.75million (or there abouts) i’d snap Burnley’s hand off.
Sorry saw this after I posted, I think he has massive potential for his defensive side to grow but I'm not convinced he will step straight up to top end Championship but who knows!

Seems to have passed off pretty quietly on here. Gutting as it is to see good youngsters go it’s a good fee for the club and hopefully can be reinvested. As KR said the wages he’ll be on will be life changing, and you can’t deny someone the opportunity to do better for themselves. Good luck Luke hopefully we’ll get the same amount again when Newcastle or Man U go into a tailspin and need a really good central defender…..

Back
Top Bottom