General Local Elections and the New Stadium

Would voting in a Cherwell area have any impact at this stage? Obviously at this stage, you’d be looking at many candidates from different wards.
possibly? ..... At some point Cherwell district council will be having input re SB , at a guess ( I admittedly don't know exactly when as that's dependant of OUFC / Ox County council talks concluding successfully first ), as to whether it will be those elected on thurs or not will have input further down the line is, I think, not known in any definite timespan currently

that said voting against any opponents to SB would be good for moving forward with the SB project

Politics is a very personal choice and there should never be any pressure placed on anyone to vote anything other than their conscience. Many people will want to register a vote against the government and local elections can be seen as an easy way to do that. That being said, and with my OxVox hat firmly off, I have spent a good deal of time chatting to Nigel Simpson since we met at the council meeting. He spoke in favour of Stratfield Brake and his season ticket is near mine so we bump into each other regularly. Nigel lives in the heart of Kidlington and while nationally I may not share his party’s views on everything he is a great local politician who works hard for his constituents. He volunteers weekly at the Cherwell Larder, who we have worked with, and comes across as a decent and genuine man who supports the club and our aims for a stadium and community hub at Stratfield Brake. Again, this is absolutely my personal opinion and people must decide for themselves what local matters are most important to them.

Politics is a very personal choice and there should never be any pressure placed on anyone to vote anything other than their conscience. Many people will want to register a vote against the government and local elections can be seen as an easy way to do that. That being said, and with my OxVox hat firmly off, I have spent a good deal of time chatting to Nigel Simpson since we met at the council meeting. He spoke in favour of Stratfield Brake and his season ticket is near mine so we bump into each other regularly. Nigel lives in the heart of Kidlington and while nationally I may not share his party’s views on everything he is a great local politician who works hard for his constituents. He volunteers weekly at the Cherwell Larder, who we have worked with, and comes across as a decent and genuine man who supports the club and our aims for a stadium and community hub at Stratfield Brake. Again, this is absolutely my personal opinion and people must decide for themselves what local matters are most important to them.
This is, as I have said before, what local politics is all about. Put aside the national party line and listen/read what the local candidate has to say.
A vote for, or against Nigel is not going to influence Westminster.

Boris Johnson won’t quit if he gets caught in the act murdering the queen so I can’t see him being bothered if Nigel Simpson gets voted out in a County council election.

Not voting for someone who is willing to help get something you want (new ground for OUFC) to make a point to someone who won’t listen anyway is a bit mental.

In local elections it’s a case of voting for someone who achieves something, I had a issue with a hole in the pavement outside my house , which was caused by the relocation of a street lamp( which was relocated in to a tree!!)

I complained to Lib Dems, told to report on on “don’t fix my street” which I did twice, , told lib dems, no action, labour blokes comes along prior to voting, told him there was a issue, following week fixed
Will I vote labour, no as I don’t agree with any of their local transport policies, will I vote for the Lib Dems , not sure on that either
Devil and the deep blue sea time !

In local elections it’s a case of voting for someone who achieves something, I had a issue with a hole in the pavement outside my house , which was caused by the relocation of a street lamp( which was relocated in to a tree!!)

I complained to Lib Dems, told to report on on “don’t fix my street” which I did twice, , told lib dems, no action, labour blokes comes along prior to voting, told him there was a issue, following week fixed
Will I vote labour, no as I don’t agree with any of their local transport policies, will I vote for the Lib Dems , not sure on that either
Devil and the deep blue sea time !
Hang on - you said vote for the person who does something, but you aren’t going to vote for the person who did something?

Ive a feeling in the Oxford City council elections local issues- such as LTNs, which seem to be a hot potato issue -could see Independent candidates standing against more LTNs being imposed in various areas within the ring road picking up a sizable share of votes cast

and to answer @werthersoriginal q above ^^ ... personally I don't like them, there's already a restriction with the zero emission zone in the city centre, LTNs cause serious gridlock on larger roads in the vicinity where they've been imposed- with the price of fuel at an all time high, having to sit in non moving traffic burning expensive fuel going nowhere isn't good

Stagecoach buses withdrawing return tickets as an option arent helping either

Ive a feeling in the Oxford City council elections local issues- such as LTNs, which seem to be a hot potato issue -could see Independent candidates standing against more LTNs being imposed in various areas within the ring road picking up a sizable share of votes cast

and to answer @werthersoriginal q above ^^ ... personally I don't like them, there's already a restriction with the zero emission zone in the city centre, LTNs cause serious gridlock on larger roads in the vicinity where they've been imposed- with the price of fuel at an all time high, having to sit in non moving traffic burning expensive fuel going nowhere isn't good

Stagecoach buses withdrawing return tickets as an option arent helping either
I was stirring! I'm generally in favour of reducing traffic and improving air quality etc but the restrictions seem likely to cause gridlock on Cowley and Iffley roads which wouldn't help anyone. And would stop buses getting through

I was stirring! I'm generally in favour of reducing traffic and improving air quality etc but the restrictions seem likely to cause gridlock on Cowley and Iffley roads which wouldn't help anyone. And would stop buses getting through
..... and said gridlocks reduce air quality with catalytic converters not working , thus clouds of contestant unconverted exhaust gasses polluting Cowley Rd, Iffley Rd and other areas affected by LTN imposed gridlocks

Although LTNs are a County Council issue, not City Council
fair point ....albeit LTNs are 'an issue' in Oxford City Council elections.... mentioned on (at least) three vote 'for me leaflets' circulated by the candidates standing in the City Council ward where I am

Unfortunatley i cant vote for Mr Simpson, but i would if i lived in his ward. Local elections are exactly what it says on the tin. You should vote for the candidate that is going to benifit your local issues. Polictical party doesnt matter. I think nothing of voting different at local elections compared to a general election. I also make a point of always voting, then if the candidate or party i voted for messed things up or didn't deliver on their promises that i can moan about it. By not voting IMO you cant complain if things go agaist your belifes.

Kidlington West votes today as well for a Cherwell Councillor, no green person there but a Lib Dem who is part of the green lib dem pact. Hence no lib dem in Kidlington east. So with all this advice on the forum I'm surprised no advice for this ward. Cherwell is going to be pretty key in how this is decided.

Unfortunatley i cant vote for Mr Simpson, but i would if i lived in his ward. Local elections are exactly what it says on the tin. You should vote for the candidate that is going to benifit your local issues. Polictical party doesnt matter. I think nothing of voting different at local elections compared to a general election. I also make a point of always voting, then if the candidate or party i voted for messed things up or didn't deliver on their promises that i can moan about it. By not voting IMO you cant complain if things go agaist your belifes.
In principal I largely agree with you - vote for local candidates addressing local issues. The problem is the national narrative - Johnson will take every vote as an endorsement of national issues and his leadership and likewise, Labour will use every vote as an indicator of increasing national dissatisfaction. Twas ever the way.

I had a good chat with a local Tory standing for the council and explained why I wouldn't vote for him and have my vote used by the party as an endorsement of their national governance. As a balance, we do have a reasonably well run Liberal Democrat council and a very decent (on local issues at least) Lib Dem MP and there hasn't been a Labour councillor here for about 25 years, so my conscience is reasonably clean!

I live in the Cherwell District Council area but not Kidlington. I'll be voting Conservative as emails I've swapped with Conservative councillors suggest they are supportive and eventually CDC will have to make a planning decision so it feels like the more Conservative councillors the better for OUFC's future

I’ve just eaten half a punnet (are people still using that word?) of red grapes and feel really sick. The first party to rub my belly gets my vote.

In principal I largely agree with you - vote for local candidates addressing local issues. The problem is the national narrative - Johnson will take every vote as an endorsement of national issues and his leadership and likewise, Labour will use every vote as an indicator of increasing national dissatisfaction. Twas ever the way.

I had a good chat with a local Tory standing for the council and explained why I wouldn't vote for him and have my vote used by the party as an endorsement of their national governance. As a balance, we do have a reasonably well run Liberal Democrat council and a very decent (on local issues at least) Lib Dem MP and there hasn't been a Labour councillor here for about 25 years, so my conscience is reasonably clean!
I completely understand and that's your choice.

I've never voted Conservative before and never even bothered with local elections.

The reason I'll vote is based solely on the stadium, the way I'm looking at it is like this.

Councillors and members of Parliament are temporary and you can change your mind at the next election.

This Stadium opportunity may not come around again in my lifetime so I'll do everything in my power to help it happen, and if that means voting for a local Conservative Councillor then so be it.

I voted this morning and nobody made me swear allegiance to Boris Johnson or Margaret Thatcher so all is good.

I’ve just eaten half a punnet (are people still using that word?) of red grapes and feel really sick. The first party to rub my belly gets my vote.

Is this code?

I notice you didn’t eat any green grapes. Or blueberries.

Back
Top Bottom