General Supporters Panel Elections

guyellow

Candidates are wanted for the inaugural OU Supporters' Panel. Details of nomination and election process now available on the Club website.

So, having got all the documents written and the Memorandum of Understanding being imminently signed off by the club, the Supporters' Panel is good to go!
We need 11 candidates to form the panel. (one more will come from OxVox)

If you want to participate, get your application in to the Election Group.

I suppose it is safe to say, now, that I intend standing. It's been a real motivation getting the panel started and working with the rest of the working group has been a pleasure.
I know many have been, and probably still are, sceptical but, this really could make a difference and I hope that supporters do apply to be a part of the panel.

I suppose it is safe to say, now, that I intend standing. It's been a real motivation getting the panel started and working with the rest of the working group has been a pleasure.
I know many have been, and probably still are, sceptical but, this really could make a difference and I hope that supporters do apply to be a part of the panel.
How many have been on the working group? I'm guessing most will apply so it'll be interesting to see how many others put their names forward. I think it has huge potential but comments on here have been mainly negative which could put some off.

How many have been on the working group? I'm guessing most will apply so it'll be interesting to see how many others put their names forward. I think it has huge potential but comments on here have been mainly negative which could put some off.
There are/were 6 of us in total. 2 will not be standing as they form the election management group along with Ashley Brown from the FSA. Of the others, that will be a decision for each to make. I would hope that all of them stand.
There have been some comments on here that have caused some disquiet, shall we say but, overall the reaction has been very good. FSA, OxVox and the club are very pro and I have spoken to a number of fans at games, home and away and the reaction has all been positive.
It will take time to get everything sorted and the first meeting set up, just getting all of the working group around a table at the same time has proved difficult!
I would hope that everyone reads the Memorandum of Understanding document. It is what underpins the whole deal with the club and, if read, will clarify and underscore what we have set out to achieve.

There are/were 6 of us in total. 2 will not be standing as they form the election management group along with Ashley Brown from the FSA. Of the others, that will be a decision for each to make. I would hope that all of them stand.
There have been some comments on here that have caused some disquiet, shall we say but, overall the reaction has been very good. FSA, OxVox and the club are very pro and I have spoken to a number of fans at games, home and away and the reaction has all been positive.
It will take time to get everything sorted and the first meeting set up, just getting all of the working group around a table at the same time has proved difficult!
I would hope that everyone reads the Memorandum of Understanding document. It is what underpins the whole deal with the club and, if read, will clarify and underscore what we have set out to achieve.

"On here" is possibly the most diverse spectrum of the fans/supporters the panel purports to represent.

If folk wish to question, interrogate and express opinions in a comfortable environment why is it seen as bad/negative?

The willingness to volunteer is to be admired and encouraged not dismissed out of hand because that person has an alternative view.

Want to know what will happen next? I`ll take an educated guess.

11, or fewer, will pass the EMG process so the complexity of voting will be unnecessary.

A group of 8-11 will be the SP by default.

Will that process truly represent the fanbase or be a "ticked box"? People can work that out for themselves. :)

I'm not sure this forum is the "most diverse spectrum of fans", I'm often struck by how the posts on here contrast hugely in tone and opinion with those on twitter for instance.

Essex - questioning, interrogating and expressing opinions is absolutely fine. So is listening to people's responses.

The EMG is not setting out to filter applications, nor to discourage anyone with alternative views, but representatives are encouraged to be available to fellow fans (how that's done is open - for example could be in the stands, down the pub or via social media) in order to gather views and be a representative rather than simply putting forth their own view without understanding a wider position.

It is unfortunately quite possible that fewer than 11 candidates will come forward. It is an issue we heard from other clubs, and that I have found in other walks of life where getting people to actually step forward for voluntary roles is very difficult. I really hope that is not the case. As there will be annual elections for 1/3 of the panel there will be the possibility of getting additional reps in the next election period to bring numbers up to 11 if this happens.

This Panel has the potential to be really good for fans, I would encourage anyone who wants to see this work for the benefit of a wide range of fans to consider standing. Especially if you can credibly represent a minority group.

Last edited:
Here we go then.

MoU said:
The Panel provides a regular channel of communication and consultation between the Club and its fanbase. It is designed to be inclusive and to represent the full range of the Club’s supporter base, to whom it is accountable.

How is it accountable to the fan base?

MoU said:
Draft minutes are circulated to attendees within three working days of the meeting, with deadline for comments being three working days from that point. Following approval by the meeting’s Chair, minutes are published on the OUSP webpage within seven working days of the meeting.

Any comments in the minutes deemed as confidential are included as a “Part Two” section of the minutes and are redacted from the published version of the minutes. Individuals should not publish or discuss any details of the meeting before the minutes have been approved by the Chair and published on the webpage, unless specifically allowed for in the minutes, and should not at any time discuss or disclose any “Part Two” minutes outside of the Panel.

Will the public minutes show what subjects have been 'deemed confidential' and why so deemed? The second para above suggests strongly that fans won't even be told what was discussed that the OUFC-Sponsored Panel Chair decides they shouldn't know about.
What happens if a member of the Panel disagrees with the minutes?

Expectations of Panel Members said:
Supporters’ Panel representatives shall not make any comment, via any route, that is likely to harm the reputation of the Supporters’ Panel or the Club. This includes speculation, misinformation or comments of a derogatory nature relating to the Panel or the Club.

In other words, a Panel majority can decide that any information published any way about any matter is 'wrong' and can't be mentioned. How does a Panel Member who disagrees with a Panel decision get heard? Sounds like they don't or they will be excluded from the club.

If the minutes don't even say what topics been discussed (points above) and the judgement of what's 'wrong' is in the hands of the Panel majority, the 'Expectations' need to be considered seriously. If a Panel member disagrees with a policy, feels there is misbehaviour, undue secrecy, or good old fashioned stupidity in the Panel they aren't allowed to say so. Panel members are at risk of being removed or otherwise sanctioned if whoever gets to decide (who is that?) deems that what they post publicly is 'negative or speculative' (how is that judged, by whom?). In practice this means that, should I or [deleted to avoid offence] (just an example) disagree with a policy that, let's say, prevents something like the Ultras regenerating they will have to think twice (at least) before saying so publicly.

Here's a scenario that should happen sooner or later. The Club, along with it's Panel decide on something that OxVox members have, through consultation, decided they are against. The Chair decides it's confidential. If OxVox mentions it do they lose their representation in the Panel?

Make up your own minds.

Here we go then.

Will the public minutes show what subjects have been 'deemed confidential' and why so deemed? The second para above suggests strongly that fans won't even be told what was discussed that the OUFC-Sponsored Panel Chair decides they shouldn't know about.

In other words, a Panel majority can decide that any information published any way about any matter is 'wrong' and can't be mentioned. How does a Panel Member who disagrees with a Panel decision get heard? Sounds like they don't or they will be excluded from the club.

If the minutes don't even say what topics been discussed (points above) and the judgement of what's 'wrong' is in the hands of the Panel majority, the 'Expectations' need to be considered seriously. If a Panel member disagrees with a policy, feels there is misbehaviour, undue secrecy, or good old fashioned stupidity in the Panel they aren't allowed to say so. Panel members are at risk of being removed or otherwise sanctioned if whoever gets to decide (who is that?) deems that what they post publicly is 'negative or speculative' (how is that judged, by whom?). In practice this means that, should I or [deleted to avoid offence] (just an example) disagree with a policy that, let's say, prevents something like the Ultras regenerating they will have to think twice (at least) before saying so publicly.

Here's a scenario that should happen sooner or later. The Club, along with it's Panel decide on something that OxVox members have, through consultation, decided they are against. The Chair decides it's confidential. If OxVox mentions it do they lose their representation in the Panel?

Make up your own minds.
Well said @Paul Cannell

Here we go then.

Make up your own minds.

Any comments in the minutes deemed as confidential are included as a “Part Two” section of the minutes and are redacted from the published version of the minutes. Individuals should not publish or discuss any details of the meeting before the minutes have been approved by the Chair

A bit like North Korea

Back
Top Bottom