Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Long term OUFC supporter here (since the 1992/93 season), first time posting on this forum.

Still in utter shock at the situation that we find ourselves in. Shame on Manning and Hogg for leaving us. I'm usually a fairly reasonable and level headed kind of guy, but I truly hope his "terrific" new "project" at Bristol City fails miserably!

What hurts most for me is that we all brought into what Manning was selling to us, and he was exactly the kind of manager we needed after the final few farcical months of the KR reign. Everything was looking so promising for this season, and now he's jumped ship at the first opportunity :(

It's going to take a while to get over this one. I just hope the board act quickly and find us an equally progressive and dynamic manager to carry this team forwards, and hope that this doesn't disrupt our momentum too much.
Welcome Gordon and you are a mere slip of a lad starting in 92/93, there are some on here who remember the Headington United days :D

Hello there,

1st time I post also for me ! Loyal belgian fan since 2000 ( I attend to 2 or 3 home games a season, and 2 away games ). I'll be there saturday at Leyton:).

I decide to write now because the situation with Manning give me 2 feelings : anger and optimism.

I understand the business side for him but how on earth is it possible to leave a club with a promising future ? Everything was good off and on the pitch ( positive buzz in the area ), and we've to start again with the search for a new manager ( good fit ).

The game yesterday and the few interviews give me a real hope his departure won't have a real impact. Also the club statement sums up all our emotions ( disappointment, and biterness ). Anyway, we'll see this saturday at 5pm if everything is ok !

At the end of the day, the job of a manager is to put a formation, a tactical system, create a good atmosphere within the group and the players have to make the job ! If they're well disciplined and pro, we should be ok ! A manager has never scored or conceded a goal.....

Let's hope this saturday at 5pm, the Manning story will be forgotten and we can move on !

COYY

At the end of the day, the job of a manager is to put a formation, a tactical system, create a good atmosphere within the group and the players have to make the job ! If they're well disciplined and pro, we should be ok ! A manager has never scored or conceded a goal.....
Kenny Dalglish did at Liverpool ;)

Hello there,

1st time I post also for me ! Loyal belgian fan since 2000 ( I attend to 2 or 3 home games a season, and 2 away games ). I'll be there saturday at Leyton:).

I decide to write now because the situation with Manning give me 2 feelings : anger and optimism.

I understand the business side for him but how on earth is it possible to leave a club with a promising future ? Everything was good off and on the pitch ( positive buzz in the area ), and we've to start again with the search for a new manager ( good fit ).

The game yesterday and the few interviews give me a real hope his departure won't have a real impact. Also the club statement sums up all our emotions ( disappointment, and biterness ). Anyway, we'll see this saturday at 5pm if everything is ok !

Let's hope this saturday at 5pm, the Manning story will be forgotten and we can move on !

COYY
Welcome, hopefully the first post of many.

"And objectively, Manning is right to turn his back on Oxford. Probability-wise, it's a no-brainer.

The Yellows have made a solid start to the season but they are currently punching above their performance data.

A top-six finish is now highly probable. But their chances of promotion next May are the wrong side of a coin toss.

Instead, Manning moves up a level, in a stadium with four sides and crowds more than double the size. While from an expectation standpoint, the risks are slight."

This triggered me, would f*****g love to prove him wrong and go up automatically.

"And objectively, Manning is right to turn his back on Oxford. Probability-wise, it's a no-brainer.

The Yellows have made a solid start to the season but they are currently punching above their performance data.

A top-six finish is now highly probable. But their chances of promotion next May are the wrong side of a coin toss.

Instead, Manning moves up a level, in a stadium with four sides and crowds more than double the size. While from an expectation standpoint, the risks are slight."

This triggered me, would f*****g love to prove him wrong and go up automatically.
What a Swiss Banker!

Despite all the flak that KR gets on here, I am not sure that he would have done what Manning has done.
I'm absolutely certain he would have. He very openly flirted with Blackpool for a long time and never distanced himself from any jobs. The big difference is Bristol City were actually prepared, and based on what Jerome said yesterday, were pretty determined to land Manning and no one was willing to do the same for Robinson.

I'm not exactly pleased with Manning even if I can see why he's done it but let's not pretend Robinson was Mr Integrity.

Interesting and well written article. Not heard of 'masculine and feminine flow states' before. I agree with him that Manning might not cope so well with a bad run, when his calm demeanour could start to seem complacent and robotic. He's certainly not one for urging his team to a big finish.

I'm absolutely certain he would have. He very openly flirted with Blackpool for a long time and never distanced himself from any jobs. The big difference is Bristol City were actually prepared, and based on what Jerome said yesterday, were pretty determined to land Manning and no one was willing to do the same for Robinson.

I'm not exactly pleased with Manning even if I can see why he's done it but let's not pretend Robinson was Mr Integrity.
I don't think Robinson would have done it after six months, surely that's the point.

I'm not surprised by this to be honest. It's been said a lot but for all our nice play we never created bucket loads of chances under Manning and were generally pretty clinical, I wouldn't be surprised if we were over performing our expected goals by a fair bit. Once we took a lead we held back a bit more which lends itself to the opposition looking better on the data as they push for an equaliser, the reverse of last season under Robinson when we'd be behind and teams would declare meaning when we fired off a few hopeful attempts and they just sat back the numbers would make it look a more even game than it was.

One of my main issues with Manning was his lack of willingness to let the handbrake off even a little bit instead trying to control the game as much as possible. It obviously worked because we're second but it did sometimes invite more pressure on or limit our scoring in games we should be dishing out hidings (Shrewsbury I'm looking at you). Definitely a bit of Southgate about him, very functional and when Plan A works we'd look a thoroughly professional outfit but if not I thought we could struggle.

New chant for Manning, when Bristol City fall away.
To the tune of "Can you hear XX sing?"

Can you see Bristol win?
No, nooo
Can you see Bristol win?
I can't see a f*****g thing!
Wooooaahhhh
Sssssssssssssss

New chant for Manning, when Bristol City fall away.
To the tune of "Can you hear XX sing?"

Can you see Bristol win?
No, nooo
Can you see Bristol win?
I can't see a f*****g thing!
Wooooaahhhh
Sssssssssssssss
Thanks for telling us which tune it was, I wouldn't have been able to work that out.

I've just read Mannings response to leaving Oxford he really doesn't show any respect for the owners ,players,fans or the club at all thank god he's gone. He will have a fall at some point and it could be sooner than he thinks and there will be one group of fans just ready for that with a few songs iam sure. But there are alot of good managers out there so let's keep moving forwards wr really have got a fantastic group of owners and the players so let's keep winning and improving COYY

Back
Top Bottom