Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Just catching up on the ‘he might say goodbye to the players by zoom’ piece on the Mail. That really is just so weird. There are surely ways of leaving a club without going out of your way to burn every bridge possible?

Pretty incredible just how badly he’s gone about this. It now coming out that he’d effectively been in talks with them for weeks is also pretty extraordinary. I know I’m just repeating what others hve said, but it is really quite shocking, given how professionally and by the book he presents himself as being, how unprofessionally and underhandedly he seems to have gone about this.

Just catching up on the ‘he might say goodbye to the players by zoom’ piece on the Mail. That really is just so weird. There are surely ways of leaving a club without going out of your way to burn every bridge possible?

Pretty incredible just how badly he’s gone about this. It now coming out that he’d effectively been in talks with them for weeks is also pretty extraordinary. I know I’m just repeating what others hve said, but it is really quite shocking, given how professionally and by the book he presents himself as being, how unprofessionally and underhandedly he seems to have gone about this.
If he did say goodbye on Zoom ( and based on the Directors comments), he would appear to have really pissed everybody off.

It now coming out that he’d effectively been in talks with them for weeks is also pretty extraordinary.
Where is this information coming to light? I only use this forum.
I know I’m just repeating what others hve said, but it is really quite shocking, given how professionally and by the book he presents himself as being, how unprofessionally and underhandedly he seems to have gone about this.
I knew a guy that could talk the talk and whisper sweet nothings and people believed and bought into it, he was sly and only thought about himself. To be fair, LM can also walk the walk.

Where is this information coming to light? I only use this forum.

I knew a guy that could talk the talk and whisper sweet nothings and people believed and bought into it, he was sly and only thought about himself. To be fair, LM can also walk the walk.
Can he?! No one knows how the season would have gone and whether he would have got us promoted. The fact he didn’t back himself to finish the job and get us promoted says he is a bit of a bottle job.

The previous manager achieved 2 play off finishes.

Can he?! No one knows how the season would have gone and whether he would have got us promoted. The fact he didn’t back himself to finish the job and get us promoted says he is a bit of a bottle job.

Fair comment. My answer to your question is we are 2nd in the table and were 1st for a while and things looked great. Whether we were due to stay in the autos - who knows but having followed the club for many years like everyone else - I sensed we were onto something special this year.

Bernard thinks he can wrap up an entire management plan for a football league club in a few dozen PowerPoint slides. We probably inherited a WIP from his MK days. Bristol City will get a completed edition. He may well enjoy smoking his cigar, but with no integrity.
No respect for our club.

I don’t like where this is going. Let’s be frank, we’re angry at the situation but Manning leaves the club in a better state after 6 months work than it had been in for the vast majority of the 5 years previous. Wherever you look, we are a much, much stronger football club for him having been here even for that short time. We can’t deny him that, but people are entitled to the opinion the pair of them lack class in various ways.

We can talk about Karl’s league finishes all we like and how we were one game away from going up etc - fact is we didn’t and we regressed horribly thereafter. And it certainly doesn’t mean the club was in good health or progressing in the areas that give you sustained success and so it proved, we melted like a chocolate fire guard. By contrast, the direction of travel with Manning always felt positive and that we gained strength week by week. I agree with @Joey that the style of play was great but far from perfect and I still have doubts as to whether we would’ve stayed the course at the top playing that way. But let’s not kids ourselves, we stood a far greater chance than at any point under Robinson.

The previous manager left us in a worse position than he inherited us. Manning improved our position (considerably). Not bad for a snake.

Or just that he likes 3.5 year deals while at least doubling his wage
But if he'd backed himself to do the job with us, and completed it, why wouldn't you (or he) expect him to be offered an even more lucrative deal in the summer? I think that he didn't back himself at all, and so jumped at the money, being worried that he might not be successful. And, quite frankly, if he didn't imagine that he could get us at least to the playoffs, he must be worried as hell about getting BC much higher than they currently are. But of course, he has his 12 pieces of silver, and so that's OK.

If James Henry had shot rather than passed against Wycombe, we'd very likely have gone up, and Robinson would be a hero. Fine margins ...

Do  you?

This is an Oxford United forum, if your primary contribution at this point is to scorn and scoff at those who are upset at the deceitful and duplicitous acts of a manager who departed less than 24 hours ago, I'd respectfully suggest you're the outlier.
Ah, that seems to be the problem here, he's accidentally wandered onto the OUFC forum.

Hopefully someone will create a John Mousinho forum for you soon, @Mojofilter .

The more I reflect on it, the more I find myself in the camp of those wishing him luck.

Difficult to begrudge the decision to move for that kind of money and the security it brings. Not to mention the opportunity to manage at a club the size of Bristol City, with the weekly attendance they pull in, plus the facilities there.

It's frustrating timing, but now we have to look the get right (or woman, cf. James Henry's comments) in to replace him. I'm hopeful we can have someone in on time to at least watch from the stands for the Cheltenham game.

Think we will go for the best choice full stop; not just the best choice out of who is without a club. If someone wants to talk to us who is currently in a job, I can see the board going for it.

Here we go …. The “Let’s Get Robinson Back” club.

Despite the increase in salaries for these two, I still think they are a pair of mercenary bastards for the underhand way that this has played out. This guy could have been here for years with all the support that you get from these owners but he has chosen another path, probably a path to the sack within a year. C***s.

Despite the increase in salaries for these two, I still think they are a pair of mercenary bastards for the underhand way that this has played out. This guy could have been here for years with all the support that you get from these owners but he has chosen another path, probably a path to the sack within a year. C***s.
I hope he gets fk all in the close season and they screw up

Is money really that much of a justification. I'm pretty sure he was doing ok on his Oxford salary, and was apparently offered even more. I just call it greed. It seems as if everyone thinks money will obviously trump integrity or loyalty or just plain decency these days. Be a sad old world if that's universally true (which it isn't to be fair).

Is money really that much of a justification. I'm pretty sure he was doing ok on his Oxford salary, and was apparently offered even more. I just call it greed. It seems as if everyone thinks money will obviously trump integrity or loyalty or just plain decency these days. Be a sad old world if that's universally true (which it isn't to be fair).
I think it’s particularly annoying because he has such a sanctimonious, virtuous manner and goes on about community, integrity and all that. If it was some pie-munching, effing and jeffing Big Sam type it would jar much less.

Back
Top Bottom