Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Other than Manning and Hogg who else also follows him? Lewis Price? Anyone else?

Going to take a while for the club to reset whoever comes in and whoever they bring with them.

To say I’m disappointed at what’s gone on would be an understatement, unless we genuinely have an action plan in place!

Glad to at least hear that the club sound angry about the situation, as they rightly should.

Sounds like the Tim & Grant aren't impressed by Manning's actions and rightly so.

The guy went on about how people act and behave yet when it comes to it, he doesn't live up to his own standards.

We will move on and I hope it doesn't derail us too much while I hope Manning fails at Bristol City.

I’ve held off commenting too much until it’s confirmed, and I completely understand the professional and personal motivations for Manning to accept the role.

But I’m not his mate, nor am I his family. I’m an Oxford United supporter - and his decision, even if I can rationalise it and understand the logic, leaves me bitterly disappointed.

He doesn’t leave with my ‘gratitude’. Clearly I’m glad he kept us up, but I’d argue with the squad we had he certainly wasn’t the only person capable of doing that. And by having all his staff brought in and infrastructure built up around him only to walk at quite literally the first sniff of Championship interest leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

I completely admire the optimism of those who see the bigger picture, but in the short term this is colossally destabilising, and absolutely gutting when we looked set to have our best season since 19/20 (when I’m convinced Covid robbed us of a genuine automatic promotion chance). Instances like Schumacher at Plymouth are categorically not the norm when you lose your manager in circumstances like this. In the long term we’re moving in the right direction - and we’re better off without someone like Manning who evidently wasn’t as committed as we needed him to be. But it’s a huge blow.

I absolutely will look forward to making him a pantomime villain and give him plenty of stick if we do play them. I wish him nothing but poor fortune and hope he absolutely tanks at Bristol City. Get stuffed Liam. Thanks for keeping us up. And then for utterly leaving us in the lurch.

Although I understand the reasons, it’s hard to not feel incredibly let down by this decision.

Whilst a manager can be out of a job after a few bad results, Manning has been given everything he could possibly need here to succeed, and we on the road to doing that.

I think collectively; the fans, the players and the staff; will all feel let down in their own way. To sell everyone a vision then jump ship 1/3 of the way into the season breaks his word and his promises. He doesn’t owe anyone loyalty due to the nature of football, but he’ll have to live with the broken trust he’s left behind.

Only sliver lining is we get in Des Buckingham, and quick enough so that our season doesn’t de-rail.

Last edited:
Three ex OUFC players there, that left us the right way.

We move on, and the phone will be ringing already, and we won’t be short of applicants.

Back
Top Bottom