Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Manning said: “This is a terrific opportunity and one that I’m really looking forward to. If you look at the vision of the club and where they want to get to and how they want to get there I think there is really good fit and alignment with my journey and where I want to get to.

“We are custodians and you have to respect and understand the past and the culture of the area that you’ve moved and leave the club in a better state than we found it.

“We’ll be doing our upmost in terms of the day to day in putting really strong processes in place, getting emotionally invested in what we do and having that passion, that drive, that hunger to improve everything.”

Manning is excited about working with the group of players he met for the first time today, saying: “You want players that you can coach and are mouldable and on an upward trajectory in their career. I think that brings certain behaviors in terms of drive, intensity and ambition which align with how we want to work.”

The guy clearly pasted with flying colors at PR school. Shame his words mean very little.

This is what he said when joining us:

Manning told the United website: “I thank the board for showing faith in me and I want to repay that, first of all by ensuring the team pull away from any immediate danger and then by being part of a very exciting period in the club’s history.
Oxford has amazing fans home and away, there are big plans for the future of the club and I can’t wait to get started.

“Obviously Craig and the staff have worked towards the Derby game all week, know the players and will be in charge today but I will be there to watch and offer advice if asked, and I look forward to meeting the supporters and staff and being part of a big club with even bigger ambitions.”

The club not even offering a half-arsed “we thank Liam and Chris for their efforts” in either the story or the quotes from upper management is quite delicious. I’m absolutely here for that level of salt. Fair is fair all around.

Galvanise for Saturday and hopefully have someone in by Cheltenham. Hopefully the club use their anger as fuel to get the right man and give them the tools in January to finish the job.

"If you look at the vision of the club and where they want to get to and how they want to get there I think there is really good fit and alignment with my journey and where I want to get to." pahahaha

Bet he thought the same about joining us.

The club not even offering a half-arsed “we thank Liam and Chris for their efforts” in either the story or the quotes from upper management is quite delicious. I’m absolutely here for that level of salt. Fair is fair all around.

Galvanise for Saturday and hopefully have someone in by Cheltenham. Hopefully the club use their anger as fuel to get the right man and give them the tools in January to finish the job.
Galvanise should be the word in the dressing room, use this as motivation to overtake him and put two fingers up on the way past.

Time to move on. Time for the directors to show what they are made of. Robust proper process needs to take place and I trust the guys that got Manning to get someone who can do what he was doing and better it.
Great opportunity for a really good young manager to get a promotion on their C.V.

I doubt he’ll struggle at Bristol City they have got a good squad, but I sure as hell don’t wish him or them well.

I can't blame him for wanting to manage a Championship side and getting far more money to do so.

But does he really think so little of his abilities as to imagine that he couldn't have had Oxford either promoted or at least in the playoffs? Because if he'd waited until the end of the season, even if we weren't promoted he'd surely have had offers as good as or better than this one. And that way even if leaving then he'd at least have treated us decently?

A snake? I don't know about that. Because if he's a snake now, what will he be called if he starts trying to gut our team of its best players?

My view is much the same, it stings, but I don't see how he could possibly say no. Were we a bit naïve not offering him improved terms once it was clear we were looking likely to do well or would that have been a rash decision akin to how we've been run in the past? It's a difficult one.

Personally, I'll take this position. Second in the league, a much improved squad with good players on new deals and a transfer window right around the corner. It beats being mid table destined for nothingness lumbered with a manager taking us nowhere fast and 2 years left on his deal.

No issue with people having a vent. But this is a huge opportunity now. The options will be vast vs those available in March and if nothing else, hopefully Manning's strengths have rubbed off a bit on the hierarchy and they know what to look for next.

All eyes on the replacement and I can't help but get excited about that because if get it right, there's nothing to stop us carrying on as we are. Who knows, we may get to see a few more shots at goal under the new manager! Ha! Des Buckingham please. It's time.

Not impressed with Manning or Hogg one bit. Fair play to Tim Williams, his comments contain none of the 'we thank him for this, we thank him for that and wish him well' b*llocks. He's well p*ssed off and rightly so. Not much would make me happier than us to get to the Championship and pass them coming down on the way. I hope those that play put on a performance tonight and take their frustrations out on Orient on Saturday before a week or two off playing to re-group and go again when we start back.

Sounds like the Tim & Grant aren't impressed by Manning's actions and rightly so.

The guy went on about how people act and behave yet when it comes to it, he doesn't live up to his own standards.

We will move on and I hope it doesn't derail us too much while I hope Manning fails at Bristol City.
This is it for me. I get his reasons, but to be talking all this B*****s about behaviour and acting the right way only to f**k off at the first opportunity - and seemingly in a way that has royally pissed off the people who treated him bloody well at our club - it's rank hypocrisy.

I am very surprised he has done this. Extremely short-sighted. No-one under the age of 50 will have a clue what I'm talking about but here goes- Martin O'Neill was Wycombe manager for years, moved on to bigger and better things, but always stuck to a contract. Mark McGee was manager at Reading and always job-hopped up the managerial ladder to next best thing. O'Neill had a brilliant managerial career- McGee's management career died a death after clubs realised he couldn't be trusted. It'll be the same here- very foolish, and drops us right in the sh1t. If he'd got us promoted and then left in the summer, fair enough. But this is - at best- in very bad faith.

Well he can now exchange OUFC tales from the dressing room with our ex Oxford players for bants.

Hugely disappointing &, I think, the first time a manager has "dumped" on us in this way. Tim Williams has every right to be very angry and I reckon our fans will never forget how LM left us in the lurch by chasing the money. He will probably be sacked by Christmas next year - I hope".

Probably interrupted a perfectly good game of golf.
My view is much the same, it stings, but I don't see how he could possibly say no. Were we a bit naïve not offering him improved terms once it was clear we were looking likely to do well or would that have been a rash decision akin to how we've been run in the past? It's a difficult one.

Personally, I'll take this position. Second in the league, a much improved squad with good players on new deals and a transfer window right around the corner. It beats being mid table destined for nothingness lumbered with a manager taking us nowhere fast and 2 years left on his deal.

No issue with people having a vent. But this is a huge opportunity now. The options will be vast vs those available in March and if nothing else, hopefully Manning's strengths have rubbed off a bit on the hierarchy and they know what to look for next.

All eyes on the replacement and I can't help but get excited about that because if get it right, there's nothing to stop us carrying on as we are. Who knows, we may get to see a few more shots at goal under the new manager! Ha! Des Buckingham please. It's time.
But you still want us to go for one of the blokes most heavily talked about last time round?

Well, it was sweet while it lasted. Let's hope, the new stadium enables us to surpass Bristol City in the not too distant future. Listening to the Dub podcast, it was obvious that Hoggy was going to follow. Shame, he could have got a decent opportunity here. I wish them both luck.

Back
Top Bottom