Ex-Staff Liam Manning

As I recall he was very bow-legged? Acc to Wiki 'Then manager Malcolm Shotton blamed the player's agent for blocking a deal that would have brought Donaldson to the Manor Ground on a permanent basis.[3] Indeed, such was the desire to see Donaldson remain at the club full-time that a local fanzine editor even wrote to the player in an attempt to convince him to reconsider.[4]':

Daniel Curtis, editor of Yellow Fever, told Donaldson he had made "a real impression" at United in his month's loan from Sheffield Wednesday

Are you here Daniel?

As I recall he was very bow-legged? Acc to Wiki 'Then manager Malcolm Shotton blamed the player's agent for blocking a deal that would have brought Donaldson to the Manor Ground on a permanent basis.[3] Indeed, such was the desire to see Donaldson remain at the club full-time that a local fanzine editor even wrote to the player in an attempt to convince him to reconsider.[4]':

Daniel Curtis, editor of Yellow Fever, told Donaldson he had made "a real impression" at United in his month's loan from Sheffield Wednesday

Are you here Daniel?
Daniel Curtis, editor of Yellow Fever, told Donaldson he had made "a real impression" at United in his month's loan from Sheffield Wednesday and it made a lot more sense to come back to the Manor.

"Oxford is nicer than Sheffield. So Oxford's got loads of bloody students - but they're only there for half a year and they are always good to laugh at," Curtis wrote.

"It's a nice city with good pubs and clubs and nice leafy suburbs. And it's warmer than Sheffield."

Curtis added: "If you do blossom into a superstar at Oxford, we won't stop you moving on to a better team. In fact, we'll end up selling you for about the cost of one of Big Ron's imitation gold rings either a) to one of our rivals, b) days before an important cup-tie, or c) both."

Curtis urged Donaldson to reconsider his decision and think of the satisfaction he would get from bringing joy to so many.

"You can't put a price on that," wrote Curtis, "and your agent wouldn't be able to get his dirty little hands on it!"

It rarely did even a decade ago. We agreed the Anthony Tonkin deal and did his video interview for the old Yellow Player service a week before it was announced.

Lee Fowler was one of the rare occasions where a player signed and was announced in literal minutes, much to the joy of @MJB
Great transfer announcement? Or greatest?

Rolling contract or not if our aim is to be a top 30 club then we should be looking for someone who is progressive has his aims for the club not a Tariq Fisu moment and leave as soon as you look like you are doing well. What if and it is an if the made manager turns out like Robinson in his last season with us do we go back to giving the board stick and labelling them Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum because if the owners what success like I think we all do we don’t want to be that feeder club until we’ve achieved journal which is Championship football and a new ground.
Unfortunately that's the way of the world, if we appoint someone from League 2 will we have an uproar about the disloyalty of the new man or praise for their ambition? It does sting a bit but I wouldn't have thought anyone, including Manning, would have forseen an opportunity come up this early.

Regarding Fosu I was playing on Saturdays back then so didn't see a lot of him but he seemed a terrific bit of business. Sign for free, get a load of goals and then sell for three quarters of a million. If he would have refused to sign without that release clause do you think we'd have been better off without him and not having his goals nor the money a few months later?

David Leworthy started in boxing day v Southampton at home in the top division. Nobody knew who he was.
Started off fantastically bit flatteted to deceive.
Yeah. he signed after OM gone to press and didn't have another issue until 27th, nobody listened to Radio Oxford news after 5pm on Christmas Eve and then the PA system wasn't working for the Southampton game either so nobody had any idea who he was! We knew it wasn't Hamilton, Charles, Jones or Thomas (two of whom liked your original message Foley!! ;) ) it was bizarre and very funny!

I'll always remember walking away from the ground, myself (13 years old) and an adult Forest fan almost stepped into each others paths, and the Forest fan, conceding and gesturing to let me go first, said "you've been one step ahead of us all day".

Nice touch.
Funnily enough I was talking to my son on Sunday about this game and the return game at The Manor. It was because Dave Beasant was doing the cup draw and it reminded me of these games. Beasant was incredible in the home game. We battered them but they won 1-0 mainly thanks to him. In the away game we did them and after the game some enraged Forest fan ran down the road after my car because we'd won and he wasn't taking it very well. :ROFLMAO:

Halcyon days.

I remember a steward at The Manor telling my dad and I that Mark Warren had signed on loan from Leyton Orient that morning, back when midday on match day was the cut off rather than midday the day before, then warming up while everybody squinted at him.

Hopefully we go old school and don’t announce the new manager; just chuck them in the dugout at Cheltenham.
Mike Williams as well, comes on as sub at Sheffield United in 99...universal "who he?" look from everyone around. Touched the ball about twice and got "New bloke, new bloke" chanted at him (tune of the Pompey Chimes).

I don’t - it would be a distraction, we’d likely lose and I can see it kicking off in the home end as fans argue about whether he did a decent job or is a snake.
I doubt that would happen with our new, better manager in charge.

If he goes, then he has blown his chance at establishing himself with us. Not many managers achieve promotion, but he had given himself a good opportunity here. We have it all in place for success one hopes and to walk away just seems foolish and a huge risk. As has been said, he has achieved nothing and risks sending his career back 3 years to get another opportunity like this. I really think that this will happen. Appleton took the money and felt quite let down by him when he left, as he did not see the job through properly. I knew that he would be financially well off from it, but knew that within a few years he would be back in L1. He could have established himself in the Premier if he had gone the right way about it and stayed another year.

LM leaving now is just a joke in comparison with Appleton. As some have said, it does not reflect well on him. He was on the football scrapheap. Sorry, but loyalty is massive and it could massively destabilise our season, no matter who we get in. We gave him a chance, fair enough if he uses this for a better contract with us mind. What does success at BC look like? If it is Premier league, then that is one heck of a job to pull off...mid table will just see him out of work next year.

If he took us up, he would buy himself years just for us to survive the Champy, while we build for the next level.

Fans don't begrudge players/managers moving on after they have done their time and earned their right, but Manning hasn't.

Back
Top Bottom