Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Mark Watson commenting on "new" manager scenario at BC on TS this segment if anyone cbb.

For the rest of the season. Seriously?
We have a great opportunity of going up/ being in the play offs. Not sure we take a huge gamble.
We need the best person for the job.
Correct - there is no room at all for sentiment. Beano was superb for us on the pitch but I have no knowledge of his tactical nous and managerial experience, probably because (I think) he's never actually managed a team!

Funnily enough I was talking to my son on Sunday about this game and the return game at The Manor. It was because Dave Beasant was doing the cup draw and it reminded me of these games. Beasant was incredible in the home game. We battered them but they won 1-0 mainly thanks to him. In the away game we did them and after the game some enraged Forest fan ran down the road after my car because we'd won and he wasn't taking it very well. :ROFLMAO:
Blimey. Imagine how they’d have reacted if their manager took another job.

• React
Reactions: GRB
I don’t - it would be a distraction, we’d likely lose and I can see it kicking off in the home end as fans argue about whether he did a decent job or is a snake.
I feel like we need a forum poll to understand the sentiment around Manning. Either he's:

Done a decent job and I can understand why he's taken the money on offer

Or

He's a snakey bastard and I can't wait to boo the c**t. Boo! Snake bastard! Boo!

Absolutely not up for this! That mindset is so lazy it's untrue. Sentimental appointments need to have no business with the process of us appointing a new manager.

We do not need to 'settle' for someone just because they are a club legend. We are in a better place than that and the infrastructure is there for us to attract a really outstanding candidate. It is now on Grant, Tim et all to carry out a proper recruitment process and identify the very best person for our club.

If he goes, then he has blown his chance at establishing himself with us. Not many managers achieve promotion, but he had given himself a good opportunity here. We have it all in place for success one hopes and to walk away just seems foolish and a huge risk. As has been said, he has achieved nothing and risks sending his career back 3 years to get another opportunity like this. I really think that this will happen. Appleton took the money and felt quite let down by him when he left, as he did not see the job through properly. I knew that he would be financially well off from it, but knew that within a few years he would be back in L1. He could have established himself in the Premier if he had gone the right way about it and stayed another year.

LM leaving now is just a joke in comparison with Appleton. As some have said, it does not reflect well on him. He was on the football scrapheap. Sorry, but loyalty is massive and it could massively destabilise our season, no matter who we get in. We gave him a chance, fair enough if he uses this for a better contract with us mind. What does success at BC look like? If it is Premier league, then that is one heck of a job to pull off...mid table will just see him out of work next year.

If he took us up, he would buy himself years just for us to survive the Champy, while we build for the next level.

Fans don't begrudge players/managers moving on after they have done their time and earned their right, but Manning hasn't.
agree 100% @Taff Ewe

Bristol Citys chairman has a rep for interfering and being awkward, snake Manning learnt nothing from his time with MK ( board issues), still when he's counting his payoff in 6 month or so's time, he can slither around wondering what might have been while he's out of work for a couple of seasons.
Fact is OUFC are one of a few clubs who aren't happy when it comes to sacking managers. Silly snake

Last edited:
I feel like we need a forum poll to understand the sentiment around Manning. Either he's:

Or

He's a snakey bastard and I can't wait to boo the c**t. Boo! Snake bastard! Boo!
No c)?

Or

Has the snake left yet it's getting boring like when he keeps saying value and behaviours in every interview. No man is bigger than this club!

Anyone think there's a possibility there's nothing in all of this at all? I mean, surely something would have been said officially by now. Then again, if its all B*****s then surely the club would have said something too to put a stop to all the talk

If he goes, then he has blown his chance at establishing himself with us. Not many managers achieve promotion, but he had given himself a good opportunity here. We have it all in place for success one hopes and to walk away just seems foolish and a huge risk. As has been said, he has achieved nothing and risks sending his career back 3 years to get another opportunity like this. I really think that this will happen. Appleton took the money and felt quite let down by him when he left, as he did not see the job through properly. I knew that he would be financially well off from it, but knew that within a few years he would be back in L1. He could have established himself in the Premier if he had gone the right way about it and stayed another year.

LM leaving now is just a joke in comparison with Appleton. As some have said, it does not reflect well on him. He was on the football scrapheap. Sorry, but loyalty is massive and it could massively destabilise our season, no matter who we get in. We gave him a chance, fair enough if he uses this for a better contract with us mind. What does success at BC look like? If it is Premier league, then that is one heck of a job to pull off...mid table will just see him out of work next year.

If he took us up, he would buy himself years just for us to survive the Champy, while we build for the next level.

Fans don't begrudge players/managers moving on after they have done their time and earned their right, but Manning hasn't.
You should feel let down by Eales, not Appleton. Appleton didn't jump ship for a bit more money and an assistant managers role, he was effectively pushed by Eales when he began to cut staff and reduce the playing budget ready to sell the club, making it almost impossible for Appleton to improve on the work he'd achieved prior. His job was at risk with the club up for sale and after being at a number of basket case clubs previously he simply did the sensible thing and took a job with security for his family.

Surely there would be an announcement before the game tonight - it's not like they can say they are both on a pre planned mini break!

Or

Or the jury’s still out, same with the board.

Back
Top Bottom