Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Here’s the rub though – we’re a team who struggles to score. We labour over chances and miss them when they do. Who is going to get the goals for us? All have pros and cons but the likes of GOD, Joseph, Wildschut et al are not going to get the goals for us. The one person who could is at Port Vale and even he is 33 years old now.

Throw in a defence that is essentially four centre-backs because the full-backs – an area essentially abandoned by KR and left to look after themselves – aren’t good enough that lets in a minimum of one goal a game and we’re in so much trouble.

This forum is in panic mode and I don’t blame it. There’s a thread on free agents because we’re looking for a ‘wonder weapon’ to get us out of this mess.

It’s a squad of individuals. Jigsaw pieces that don’t fit together and precious little physicality. It’s unfair to say that they don’t care but they don’t what it takes to stay up.

Sorry, folks. I feel I’m a realist in this and sadly defeatist too. I’ll be amazed in Manning can get anything from this squad now. The belief is shot to bits.

Ok
I mentioned this on the fan voice post but you're right, we don't have the players to grind out 1-0 wins as you'd normally expect from a team in our position. We do however have some very decent players who've been very poorly managed for months on end. Of course we need to make ourselves more solid, wither through a designated holding midfielder (Smyth seems the only option and it might be asking a lot) or by doing what seems to be obvious to most fans and playing a variety of a three centre back formation so we have more protection. Short mentioned needing to protect the defence more pre Lincoln but never actually actioned it, hopefully Manning is shrewd enough that he will.

Once we make ourselves a bit more solid we need to football our way out of this. Trying to get this lot playing the League One equivalent of Burnley-under-Dyche-Brexitball will only lead to us going down. Manning likes playing good stuff and also doesn't seem wedded to one formation, it's that pragmatism and style of football that will get us out of this jam.
‘Brexitball’?

I reckon Manning will get an improvement out of the team, but as we took 1 point from the 30 available in the ten previous games that's not exactly hard, he could get 10 points extra and we could still go down.

We still don't have full backs, a holding midfielder or a centre forward (either a target man or poacher), I doubt any other professional side in the country lacks in all of those areas, just an utter f**k up that kept Robinson in the job, the more you find out about Robinson and his behaviour the more incredulous it gets, people will be amazed when the whole truth comes out as it eventually will.

I wonder if his contract has an out clause for either/both sides if we go down? Would answer why the length hasn't been specified.

What this Forum needs right now, more than anything else, is a discussion meshing together Manning's attempt to prevent relegation and the complexities of Brexit.

I've got a superb Northern Ireland protocal/Ciaron Brown long-throw analogy just waiting to be deployed.

Here’s the rub though – we’re a team who struggles to score. We labour over chances and miss them when they do. Who is going to get the goals for us? All have pros and cons but the likes of GOD, Joseph, Wildschut et al are not going to get the goals for us. The one person who could is at Port Vale and even he is 33 years old now.

Throw in a defence that is essentially four centre-backs because the full-backs – an area essentially abandoned by KR and left to look after themselves – aren’t good enough that lets in a minimum of one goal a game and we’re in so much trouble.

This forum is in panic mode and I don’t blame it. There’s a thread on free agents because we’re looking for a ‘wonder weapon’ to get us out of this mess.

It’s a squad of individuals. Jigsaw pieces that don’t fit together and precious little physicality. It’s unfair to say that they don’t care but they don’t what it takes to stay up.

Sorry, folks. I feel I’m a realist in this and sadly defeatist too. I’ll be amazed in Manning can get anything from this squad now. The belief is shot to bits.

I was absolutely convinced we were going down under Robinson, so a change is most welcome. Far, far too late though.

I think your assessment is pretty fair, however we have seen some improvement in the last couple of performances, but the bottom line is we still lost those matches.

At the moment I’m 50/50 on us retaining out league 1 status, clearly it’s possible but I don’t think it’s probable, mostly for the reasons you’ve stated above.

I haven’t totally given up though, ‘where there’s life, there’s hope’.

The next couple of matches are massive. Is Manning capable of restoring the belief and confidence that we are going to need in the little time he has left? That’s the main worry for me because the belief and confidence is absolutely shot at the moment.

I find the fact that the length of contract hasn't been mentioned as a bit odd. I don't see why it wouldn't be mentioned, as much as anything to give the fans reassurance that this is a proper appointment as opposed to a fire fighting one. If it's a decent contract (2.5, 3.5 year etc) then why wouldn't it be put out there ? If it's a 3 month deal, with a long term deal in place if we survive, then I'd be massively disappointed that out of 150 applicants and a rigorous and thorough process this was the outcome. I think Manning is a fantastic long term appointment, but I'd argue that if we just want a short term arrangement to get us out of this mess there might be a few better and more suitable candidates out there to fight this particular fire.

Good luck on your first day Liam. Please don't read what the constant wingers on this forum have to say, let them wet there beds. Many Oxford fans are right behind you and wish you luck and success. COYY's.
Whingers. Constant Wingers are part of what we’re missing!

Good luck on your first day Liam. Please don't read what the constant wingers on this forum have to say, let them wet there beds. Many Oxford fans are right behind you and wish you luck and success. COYY's.
More irrelevant, illiterate and offensive twaddle. 🙄

For someone who says he only comes on this forum as a last resort, you’re sure on here gobbing off a lot!

And who are these “constant wingers” you refer to? Could they play on Saturday?

Last edited:
I find the fact that the length of contract hasn't been mentioned as a bit odd. I don't see why it wouldn't be mentioned, as much as anything to give the fans reassurance that this is a proper appointment as opposed to a fire fighting one. If it's a decent contract (2.5, 3.5 year etc) then why wouldn't it be put out there ? If it's a 3 month deal, with a long term deal in place if we survive, then I'd be massively disappointed that out of 150 applicants and a rigorous and thorough process this was the outcome. I think Manning is a fantastic long term appointment, but I'd argue that if we just want a short term arrangement to get us out of this mess there might be a few better and more suitable candidates out there to fight this particular fire.
I thought I heard Radio Oxford say it is just over 3 years, so until the end of the 25-26 season.
I may have mis-heard as I wasn't concentrating at the time.

Back
Top Bottom