Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Can we stop saying that Manning is faultless if we go down? It implies that we don't need to turn up and try for the next 10 games, like relegation is a forgone conclusion.

Absolutely this.

Any manager worth his salt should be able to keep this squad up from this position.

Unfortunately some posters seem to feel that to concede that we're not as good as relegated goes some way to excuse KR. It doesn't. He has made an absolute shambles of this season.

However, it's not mutually exclusive to cry about the absolutely appalling management this season (at all levels) - and still recognise that safety is very much possible.

Ha!

I'm convinced that letting Robinson have the last transfer window would be punishable by death in most universes!

No, to be very clear, I'm not defending Robinson. [Shudder] Just pointing out that this group of players have, for the majority of this season, accumulated points at such a rate as to avoid relegation.

Relegation not a fait accompli and should not be viewed as such.
Yes but we are in a dreadful run absolutely down to Robbo and the completely unbalanced squad compounded by freezing out players for a variety of reasons .
Absolutely down to Robbo if we go down but hopefully somehow we can halt this doomed slide to league two

Relegation not a fait accompli and should not be viewed as such.

Indeed not. Despite the defensive slapstick we have some decent players, if not the ones the former Acting Manager pissed money away on.

Mr Manning should be able to keep this pile of half-shit up.

Absolutely this.

Any manager worth his salt should be able to keep this squad up from this position.

Unfortunately some posters seem to feel that to concede that we're not as good as relegated goes some way to excuse KR. It doesn't. He has made an absolute shambles of this season.

However, it's not mutually exclusive to cry about the absolutely appalling management this season (at all levels) - and still recognise that safety is very much possible.
An absolute death spiral that is going to be bloody hard for any Manager to halt .
Seems some can't wait to have a go

Absofcukinglutely!

This squad, managed by Karl Robinson, has thus far, averaged enough points this season to stay in league one.

For me it would be a major black mark against Manning were he to take us down.

I agree with the sentiment of this post but, to play devil's advocate, Robinson actually only managed to win a single point with the current squad. Since Matty Taylor was inexplicably allowed to leave without a proper replacement coming in, I think it's reasonable to suggest the squad is actually weaker than it was up until the last day of the January transfer window. You could also point to Fleming and ask if he's actually been a downgrade on Seddon? I can't say I was a huge fan of Sedds, but the coaching staff obviously saw enough in him to let him play 20 or so times before he was loaned out. Fleming on the other hand can't get a game at the moment.

Absolutely this.

There’s a balance to be had here though.

Needing 10-12 points to stay up with a 3 point cushion and all the teams around us to come is not that difficult in itself and he will feel confident in doing that I’m sure.

However, arresting the slide of a team that’s lost 9 of its last 10 games is a whole other skill. He hasn’t walked in to a club picking up the odd point or beating the lowly teams. We can’t beat anyone and we now need to win the next 2 in a row. Non-negotiable.

I’m as positive as the next person about Manning but he’s been tasked with a complete psychological and tactical overhaul inside 10 games. I won’t be pointing the finger at him if we go down (unless he lets Short persuade him to play 433).

Last edited:
Yes but we are in a dreadful run absolutely down to Robbo and the completely unbalanced squad compounded by freezing out players for a variety of reasons .
Absolutely down to Robbo if we go down but hopefully somehow we can halt this doomed slide to league two

Yeah, I don't disagree with anything you've written.

But for me Manning has a very clear job for the next ten games, and it's by no means an impossible one.

I agree with the sentiment of this post but, to play devil's advocate, Robinson actually only managed to win a single point with the current squad. Since Matty Taylor was inexplicably allowed to leave without a proper replacement coming in, I think it's reasonable to suggest the squad is actually weaker than it was up until the last day of the January transfer window. You could also point to Fleming and ask if he's actually been a downgrade on Seddon? I can't say I was a huge fan of Sedds, but the coaching staff obviously saw enough in him to let him play 20 or so times before he was loaned out. Fleming on the other hand can't get a game at the moment.

Yeah, I did consider those two, and probably should concede to your argument.

It's a very marginal call based on what the two achieved in the early part of the season though

Yeah, I don't disagree with anything you've written.

But for me Manning has a very clear job for the next ten games, and it's by no means an impossible one.
And I don't disagree with anything you have there either

Absolutely this.

Of course it’s very possible but it’s going to be a tall order to turn round a squad that’s so used to losing and to conceding soft goals. And it’s not like there are lots of guys to pluck out of the reserves.

Imagine the Psychology.
The Kassam stadium, is dying, as much as a building structure can be. Has been for years, I mean, not even rusty toilets and broken TV's were fixed. How can players be in the best state of mind to go out and perform there. Plus all the restrictions placed on us by the stadium owner.
The impetus is all with the away team.

Then factor in poor strategy, leadership, signings, tactics. In a sport where fine margins are the difference between winning and losing.
Further, add in loss of form and confidence.

With all this in mind it's understandable we can't get a result.

By far the most important thing is The Triangle. We need someone to REUNITE us all.
WE MUST BE OXFORD UNITED

Not Oxford F r a g m e n t e d.

What a shambles of a squad Liam’s got to start with, a wafer thin squad with hardly any midfielders and potentially even fewer players now if Bate and Henry are out?

No decent striker adds to the problem and if he keeps us up it will be truly remarkable, we need about 15 players for next season if we shift the deadwood, what a tough job he’s got, but what a challenge and blank canvas for next season
To hear Short talking about us needing physicality in midfield after the game today ...I could've thrown the radio at him. You have to ask as a part of the senior coaching staff what the hell has he been doing

It’s the confidence that needs turning around to keep us up. Saw some of this return today with scoring two goals and some fight.

Play a formation that suits the players we have and plugs a leaky defence 5-3-2. Try and keep a similar 11 so teammates create partnerships on the pitch and know each other’s games and make sure our top scorer isn’t playing defensive midfield.

We are playing Morecombe, Forest Green, Port Vale, Cheltenham and Accrington as five of our last ten games. If we don’t get enough points from those games we don’t deserve to stay up. It is very doable.

To hear Short talking about us needing physicality in midfield after the game today ...I could've thrown the radio at him. You have to ask as a part of the senior coaching staff what the hell has he been doing
I would respectfully suggest that the mood Karl was in this season, he would do the polar opposite of what anyone recommended, just to prove a (strange) point.

Short has intimated that and I suspect Mark Thomas would say similar.

I'd imagine telling Robbo exactly that but being completely ignored.
Thought it was telling he played Smyth for that very reason and said as much .
Can't blame him or other coaches as obviously said it to show that very point.

Back
Top Bottom