Ex-Staff Liam Manning

I would expect Chris Hackett to be assisting shorting tonight and Saturday, and then to have a new manager in place by the time we play Charlton.

The one good thing about Manning has been that there is now very clear structure in training and our approach to games. The planning for Leyton Orient had already taken place and we would have had a Tuesday and Saturday team pending any last minute tweaks. Shorty is good with the players and has spoken with them about the need to do everything they have been doing up until now. They have his back and I wouldn't expect too many changes for Saturday.

The most important thing now is getting the right manager in to keep us moving forward. We've got 3 weeks until we play Bolton, and with respect to Orient and Cheltenham, that will be where we need the right person leading us. The club were aware of the interest at the weekend but things moved quickly yesterday and the recruitment process has already started.

We're in a very good position on and off the pitch, and I would be amazed if we haven't got managers already in post elsewhere looking at us. This won't just be the tired list of unemployed managers or people with previous links to the club. It won't be Beano. It won't be Robbie Fowler. And it certainly won't be Sol Campbell!

Let's not pretend that this was ever part of the plan or deny the disruption this causes, but hopefully we'll come out the others idea stronger and ready to push this team on to promotion.
and wave cheerio as we pass the carrot crunching, poaching bastards from south brizzle as we go up to the championship and they get relegated ( and the pair of Snakes have been sacked)

Nope. But some of the comments bashing City is frankly laughable. I get you’re pissy with Manning, no dramas about that. But we’re in a good place as a club.

As for picking your club apart, do I need to explain it? Facilities is one…
Let’s be honest here. If Liam Manning Sees Bristol City as anything other than an unremarkable step up, he is even more deluded than you.
Bristol City are no more or less than a make weight provincial championship blob. Never quite able to compete in the cesspool of the outfall from the Premiership.
Sorry!
Will he bring you anything but more mediocrity?
No chance. See ya!

I agree re the previous shortlist. I don't think the likes of McCann, Holden etc will be anywhere near this new shortlist. We were in a mess in March and were searching for a fire fighter combined with someone who might have tasted some success along the way - Manning came in and we got away with it. We are a very different Oxford United eight months later and the job now will have considerably wider appeal - a far stronger and more balanced playing squad, riding high in the league, crowds at their best for a generation and a new stadium on the horizon. It's a very very decent job for someone.
thats f*****g Ainsworth nailed on then!

I honestly can't blame Manning for going...3 and half year deal on probably tripple what he was on here.
I don't actually believe he's all that anyway and i'm sure his replacement will do well here.

Indeed. It's very difficult not to conclude that he told a very bare-faced lie to Nathan on Saturday.

He knew of the interest but wasn't given permission to speak to Bristol City until after the game on Saturday.

Indeed. It's very difficult not to conclude that he told a very bare-faced lie to Nathan on Saturday.

What else could he really do? Players managers want to climb the pyramid as quickly as they can.

I’m annoyed he’s gone, we weee on to a good thing, but there’s a good opportunity here for someone.

Manning has left us in a better spot than he inherited, across all of the club. Assuming Tim and Grant don’t do something stupid I don’t see why we can’t continue the success

Extremely sad at his decision. Leaves a very bad taste in the mouth at the timing. That said, I think he will have the opportunity to do well at Bristol, because I don't think he could do any worse.

I honestly can't blame Manning for going...3 and half year deal on probably tripple what he was on here.
I don't actually believe he's all that anyway and i'm sure his replacement will do well here.
Based on what, exactly?

He really does talk like a management consultant, doesn't he?

What's striking is how all the great managers - not just of the past - but of today, too - talk in much more straightforward language.

He gives every impression of having read a couple of books on (non-football) management and swallowed them wholesale, and now he just regurgitates them. For example, he says "behaviours" with a frequency that one would ordinarily associate with a lunatic.

I wouldn't be sorry if our next manager has grey hair. It's time for an old school boss. Enough of the PowerPoint generation.

Anyone who thinks that the latter are more "progressive" should bear in mind that the teams managed by Matt Busby, Jock Stein, Brian Clough et al would have slaughtered us.

Nope. But some of the comments bashing City is frankly laughable. I get you’re pissy with Manning, no dramas about that. But we’re in a good place as a club.

As for picking your club apart, do I need to explain it? Facilities is one…
We've got a sh*t ground, yes we know it. We have had an owner/landlord who has screwed the club over for the past 20 years which has held us back, big time. OUFC are in a good place as a club, once we get a new stadium we will be in an even better place.

What else could he really do? Players managers want to climb the pyramid as quickly as they can.

I’m annoyed he’s gone, we weee on to a good thing, but there’s a good opportunity here for someone.

Manning has left us in a better spot than he inherited, across all of the club. Assuming Tim and Grant don’t do something stupid I don’t see why we can’t continue the success

Well I don't know the answer to your opening question!

And yes, we're undoubtedly in a better position than when he took over.

Back
Top Bottom