Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both clubs have young ambitious managers who have assembled full squads in all areas of the park rather than simply plucking any injury prone winger who would be in a higher league but for their regular injuries and hoping
Both are a fantastic examples of why the "who would you replace Robbo with if we sacked him then?" argument never held much truck with me. There will be always be managers available and not being able to name 3 or 4 who are immediately available is no reason to not take action. I've said before that Schumacher might not have been seen as an inspiring appointment, likewise McKenna had no senior experience yet they came in mid season and immediately out performed Robbo who had the benefit of several years continuity.

I would also add that there are still some who seem to think that footballers/managers are somehow immune to external factors. The kind of comments like "how can you be depressed on 50k a week" etc. Thankfully there is far greater acknowledgement of the damage that mental health issues can have on everyone, and anyone who has experienced depression will tell you that it sometimes occurs even when you have what others perceive as the perfect life.

I'm not saying that we can't criticise Karl or the players, but that criticism doesn't need to get as personal as it sometimes gets on here (although the vast majority are reasonable and respectful in their views even if others have different views).

Hopefully we'll get back to football in the coming days, and (even more hopefully) winning ways and some of the other nonsense will be kept off these pages.

I think the vast majority recognise that KR has been sub standard in his role as a football manager for a pretty prolonged period of time for OUFC.

He may well be depressed or he may well be fine. Fact is though, these are his players, that he has signed and it’s his squad that he has assembled. All of which has resulted in a complete farce of a squad (19 of 22).

Mental health issues or not (I doubt), the basic numbers and facts since the turn of the year suggest that his performance as manager of our club, and it’s substantial supporter base, is falling below the standards required in order to achieve what is expected with the resources at his disposal.

Both players who had successful loans last season too, so hardly curveballs or anything requiring thinking outside the box.

And signed 14th July and 20th July respectively, no trickle down loan deals here!

Add Finn Azaz too for that matter (successful loan last year, signed 11th July). And the very sensible signing of Butcher from Accrington - exactly what some of us were crying out for - signing the best players from smaller clubs at this level with a proven history of playing well and regularly.

No gambles. Just sensible recruitment and incremental squad improvements.

And all this against the backdrop of losing Camara, the equivalent of us losing Cam Bran.

Depressing. What could have been.
Yes signing fit young athletic players who have done well previously has it's merits!!

I think the vast majority recognise that KR has been sub standard in his role as a football manager for a pretty prolonged period of time for OUFC.

He may well be depressed or he may well be fine. Fact is though, these are his players, that he has signed and it’s his squad that he has assembled. All of which has resulted in a complete farce of a squad (19 of 22).

Mental health issues or not (I doubt), the basic numbers and facts since the turn of the year suggest that his performance as manager of our club, and it’s substantial supporter base, is falling below the standards required in order to achieve what is expected with the resources at his disposal.

And there are thousands of posts that say the same thing. My point, in light of comments regarding events away from football, is that people in the public eye aren't immune from having the same struggles as everyone else, and that these can impact on performance.

And there are thousands of posts that say the same thing. My point, in light of comments regarding events away from football, is that people in the public eye aren't immune from having the same struggles as everyone else, and that these can impact on performance.
I *really* don’t want to get into speculation about Karl’s private life, and all the stuff about transfers has been done to death, but there is definitely something that doesn’t add up about the last few months. Just have to wait and see what unfolds, and carry on getting behind the team.

I *really* don’t want to get into speculation about Karl’s private life, and all the stuff about transfers has been done to death, but there is definitely something that doesn’t add up about the last few months. Just have to wait and see what unfolds, and carry on getting behind the team.

You’re looking far too deep in to it.

Karl is an average League 1 manager.

That is all.

Sorry too late for spin. There are no excuses for the position we are in. We are one place outside the relegation zone after 9 games, with nearly a quarter of the season gne, having seen the standard of football we should be playing displayed at Plymouth.
If anyone at the club has personal problems, hopefully they will be looked after. A marriage guidance councillor the club is not. Maybe he needs to take a break from being a mana being involved with a football club.

For me with the KR situation his personal life should stay personnel that has nothing to do with us or anyone else BUT his working life he's the manager of our football team so every single one of us can have an opinion on that and my opinion is that he's holding us back it's gone stale with him in charge the same as did with wilder and until KR does the right thing and walk away we as a football club will not progress ( I know it's been done to death this topic)

Sorry too late for spin. There are no excuses for the position we are in. We are one place outside the relegation zone after 9 games, with nearly a quarter of the season gne, having seen the standard of football we should be playing displayed at Plymouth.
If anyone at the club has personal problems, hopefully they will be looked after. A marriage guidance councillor the club is not. Maybe he needs to take a break from being a mana being involved with a football club.
Agreed two teams at the top of the league playing some great football. They’ll have to get even better to stay in the championship.
That was the target of our board, stated many times. I just can’t see KR getting us and keeping us there.
We are so far away right now and I can’t see those players who are injured improving us to those kind of levels.
If it wasn’t for the big budget KR had (I have no idea but those itk seem to believe it) i would say right now it looks the board aren’t serious about that goal either. I would say OUFC are a vehicle to get a big property deal done…. Like Reading were, like OUFC was for one Mr Ka$$am. Maybe it’s Tig€r ?

back on point, Interesting to hear on the commentary about young players coming from leagues below.

Massive week coming up Charlton are struggling.We should have players back for the game less excuses a result is expected and needed .

Massive week coming up Charlton are struggling.We should have players back for the game less excuses a result is expected and needed .
Do you think the injured players will make a big difference I can't see it I think we will draw with Charlton

For me with the KR situation his personal life should stay personnel that has nothing to do with us or anyone else BUT his working life he's the manager of our football team so every single one of us can have an opinion on that and my opinion is that he's holding us back it's gone stale with him in charge the same as did with wilder and until KR does the right thing and walk away we as a football club will not progress ( I know it's been done to death this topic)
Of course discussing anyones personal life on an internet forum is out of order. Stating that someone is going through a difficult time of it is not discussing it. Nobody is going through the he said she said, well not that I’ve seen.

Sorry, that's just not the case. Depending on your definition of 'prolonged period of time', if you go way back into the mists of time (March this year), you won't have found many in the fanbase having that point of view, let alone a 'vast majority'.

Obviously there are serious issues at the moment, and things have been building in a negative direction, but revisionism like that doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Sorry, that's just not the case. Depending on your definition of 'prolonged period of time', if you go way back into the mists of time (March this year), you won't have found many in the fanbase having that point of view, let alone a 'vast majority'.

Obviously there are serious issues at the moment, and things have been building in a negative direction, but revisionism like that doesn't add anything to the discussion.
That is spot on.
To work out the meaning of sub-par, one has to first define 'par' .
For the last few years, 'par' for a club of OUFC's type has been mid-table L1. By type, I mean middling crowds, a bit of owner support and a decent, stable recruitment team. There are clubs of similar type (Luton and Posh, say) who have done better. And there are clubs (Bradford, Swindon) who have done worse.
For much of his time at OUFC Robbo has achieved a bit better than par. And over the course of 2022 he has been sub-par.
That in itself should not be cause for castigation. He is only one decent 3 game run away from getting back to par.
The concern is that there are few signs that he understands what has caused protracted sub-par performances. Whether it be tactically, recruitment-wise he first repeats past mistakes and then garbles unintelligible nonsense/excuses instead of providing smart analysis.
He has (had) credit in the bank for 3 calendar years of slight over-achievement. That credit has brought considerable patience over a pretty dire 2022. But the credit doesnt last for ever, even at a club with a strong history of sticking by managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom