Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
think it’s unfair to judge on this season.
covid has disrupted so many games and then the farce with squad size limit and wage cap. that must’ve interfered with the planning for incoming players.
yes i know it was the same for all teams but it’s been a unique season.
you can’t deny he seems to have a genuine passion for the club and i’d rather have a manager like that rather than someone who just wants his pay check.
we could do better but we could also do a lot worse so for me now it’s Robinsin

so only automatic promotion or going up via the playoffs would let Robinson keep his job?
The feeling that we were continuing to progress towards the being a reality would help.

This season certainly hasn’t been a progression. Or do you think it has?

The feeling that we were continuing to progress towards the being a reality would help.

This season certainly hasn’t been a progression. Or do you think it has?
I think it’s been a bit of an abnormal season really with covid, no fans and wage cap.Of the teams currently above us, only really Blackpool and Lincoln are ones we could expect to better on finances,all the others would be quite a bit bigger.plus,although unlikely,we could still go up at this late stage.

I think it’s been a bit of an abnormal season really with covid, no fans and wage cap.Of the teams currently above us, only really Blackpool and Lincoln are ones we could expect to better on finances,all the others would be quite a bit bigger.plus,although unlikely,we could still go up at this late stage.
It’s been an abnormal season for all clubs. We’re not special in that regard.

I haven't missed anything, but do you not think it's incredible that we could reach the playoffs in consecutive years, with a budget that's likely to be between 8th-10th highest and still question the suitability of the manager?
Keyword being 'could'. The season hasn't finished yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

There are basically two points to my thinking. The first is that the hard work to get us to the play-off final last year was negated by the result and performance against Wycombe in the final. When you're 90 minutes away from the Championship and you put in that kind of a performance against a side you should be beating, it takes you all the way back to square one.

The second is this season we've gone backwards in so many places - inconsistent form, too many poor signings, the odd clueless performance - all of which he hasn't learnt from in the 3+ years he's been here. You could say the ends justify the means, but I don't want to have to put up with the regular poor runs of form and the odd aberration of a result to settle for being slightly above par in the table at the end of the season.

The last 2 games sum up Karl for me. Lose one at home to a team in woeful form, then annilate another away. Karl is not great and not awful. At times we are either one or the other under him. Overall we are a good average. This inconsistency can be very frustrating at times.

Unless we get lucky it is unlikely a Karl team will ever storm a league. On the flip side it us equally unlikely we would be relegated. He is a good to average league one manager. He seems unlikely to improve on that.

However there could come the season where all the signings come off, we avoid those injuries and we get a bit lucky. Then we could see success under him. The question is can we or more importantly the owners wait for this to happen. At the moment for now I am happy to wait and see.
The third part of what you say applies to any team in any league .if you get the right players in and have the budget you will do well
No coincidence that the top 3 in our league have the best players and budget whilst Charlton and Ipswich have been hit by injuries. So considering our injuries at the start of the season we have done fairly well
Just think if Mc Guane had stayed fit and Barker had been here from the start we could also be much nearer the playoffs

The third part of what you say applies to any team in any league .if you get the right players in and have the budget you will do well
No coincidence that the top 3 in our league have the best players and budget whilst Charlton and Ipswich have been hit by injuries. So considering our injuries at the start of the season we have done fairly well
Just think if Mc Guane had stayed fit and Barker had been here from the start we could also be much nearer the playoffs
I genuinely think that without our injuries at the start of the season and losing Maguane, we would be challenging for the automatics.

I genuinely think that without our injuries at the start of the season and losing Maguane, we would be challenging for the automatics.
I am not quite so sure. Certain injuries hit us massively and there is no doubt in that. But this was made worse by the lack of depth in the squad and certainly cover in key positions. I know we are limited by squad constraints but looking at the squad and there are a number of failed signings and passengers to the level this year that it has impacted our points.

Also looking back we see that certain decisions by Karl at the start of the season were very wrong (Clare in defense, Eastwood in goal). This in itself is excusable as you need to try these things, but the big problem was the number of games these mistakes were carried on for before action was taken. this definitely contributed to dropped points. Even the fact it took a while for some of the good players we have now to find thier feet was a factor at the start of the season.

Hand on heart I am not sure I can't say we have ever looked like automatic contenders. At times we looked good for a play offs. I think with a bit more luck in injuries we could have done it (may still yet all be it a long shot). A feature of the Karl period though as been the games were he is either out thought or we turn up and look like we can't be bothered and injuries aside I think this limits us a bit.

It true to say that any team given no injuries would be better however I think its a bit generous to say that they could over perform enough to get promotion. The thing is under Karl we have the making of a good team each year. But Karl doesn't look like the man by default who can get this sort of team to constant level of performance that promotion requires. Its close though hence my comment about a bit of luck.

Last edited:

All clubs get injuries though. Particularly when you have such a condensed fixture list. It’s how you cover those positions which counts.

All clubs get injuries though. Particularly when you have such a condensed fixture list. It’s how you cover those positions which counts.
At the same time though? I can’t remember us ever having such rotten luck at the start of a season. Atkinson, Long, Gorrin and then Brannagan, shortly after. That is basically the spine of the team, all out at the same time! I get what you mean by having cover, but you’d do well to have two players of that quality in each position.

Last edited:
At the same time though? I can’t remember us ever having such rotten luck at the start of a season. Atkinson, Long, Gorrin and then Brannagan, shortly after. That is basically the spine of the team, all out at the same time! I get what you mean by having cover, but you’d do well to have two players of that quality in each position.
Mentioned this earlier in the season and when folk find stuff to beat our manager with this gets forgotten as we couldn't name a settled side and Gorrin was a massive miss.
Mind you a number of the same people didn't want Atkinson in the team as they said he's too raw so luckily they aren't the manager.

Mentioned this earlier in the season and when folk find stuff to beat our manager with this gets forgotten as we couldn't name a settled side and Gorrin was a massive miss.
Mind you a number of the same people didn't want Atkinson in the team as they said he's too raw so luckily they aren't the manager.
Let’s be honest, football fans are fickle folk. I think at times, we’re all guilty. When things are going wrong, we can find any excuse to beat a player, or the manager for that matter. I have to admit, I’ve always been an Atkinson fan so it’s been nice to watch him develop and prove the doubters wrong!

Of the teams currently above us, only really Blackpool and Lincoln are ones we could expect to better on finances,all the others would be quite a bit bigger.

Broadly agree. Don't think we should ever think of Peterborough as being bigger than us in any sense whatsoever though.

Last edited:
Broadly agree. Don't think we should ever think of Peterborough as being bigger than us in any sense whatsoever though.
When we start signing players for £500 k + then we can say that.
Not traditionally but currently they are , as Brentford , Bournemouth are

Particularly how long Brannagan was out for, and the non-football related injury.

No not at all but perhaps better off this season with the Toney money they had available.

• React
Reactions: m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom