Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a beard, unshaven. I'm suggesting that it wouldn't go amiss to look reasonable when representing the club.

Never mentioned the players

Couldn't care less what you look like. (but I've met a few who could do with being introduced to deodorant)

That's your choice, again, I couldn't care less.
I think these are the least of our worries

There have been many ups and downs since Robbo has been here, some his own doing, some not, and he does seem a genuinely good person, but this is a results business, and there is no room for sentiment, and while I think it's been a very difficult season, for obvious reasons, there are things that need to change, if Robbo is gonna have any chance of success here next season.

While there are many things he himself needs to work on, to improve on a personal level, with regards to his management skills, after last season's success, where we made major progress on and off the pitch, only to be stopped in our tracks by this poxy pandemic, I think he deserves the chance to have another season, under more normal working conditions, rather than be judged on this season's stop start, Saturday-Tuesday, 5 substitutions, 2 lockdowns, COVID tests, vaccinations, empty stadiums weirdness.

It has to have been so unsettling for all the players, management and coaching staff.

But I also think it's time the club stopped selling our best players every year, as it's hard to judge a manager, if we keep making him sell his best players, then have to rebuild all over again.

I understand the nature of the current recruitment model, but if the club want our current manager to have genuine success, then they have to stop pulling the rug out from underneath him every time he starts to rebuild, otherwise we'll just end up treading water, in a Groundhog Day scenario.

Hopefully our financial situation continues to improve, and Robbo can be given the chance to build, and maintain a quality squad.

But no more crocks, no more has-beens, no more players who have hardly played a game for 2-3 seasons, no more players in need of mini pre seasons, no more square pegs for round holes, no more trying to convert players from their natural position into something they're not, no more exhausting the squad in preseason, and no more awful first quarters of the season.

Next season has to be make or break for Robbo...

Not a beard, unshaven. I'm suggesting that it wouldn't go amiss to look reasonable when representing the club.

Never mentioned the players

Couldn't care less what you look like. (but I've met a few who could do with being introduced to deodorant)

That's your choice, again, I couldn't care less.

A very outdated opinion Manorlounger. The world really has moved on from the must be clean shaven, wear a shirt and tie in order to be respected. How someone dresses, cuts their hair, shaves daily etc has zero bearing on how well they do their job. I am grateful for my modern thinking employers.

Maybe we should all dress like you. Would that be acceptable? You should start a fashion thread.

Completely off topic but the last time I dressed up for a meeting (and for me that is wearing a 'proper' shirt, some trousers with a crease and polishing my DMs!) the clients turned up in t-shirts, shorts and trainers with no socks (no, it wasn't him!). First time in my life I have felt over-dressed!

This thread certainly took an interesting turn!

For what its worth, i want Robbo out because i want Oxford United to be successful, and based on what i have witnessed with my own eyes these last 3 seasons, i do not believe Karl will ever bring us that success.

I want to watch a team where we look well drilled, where we threaten from set pieces, where we actually pass forwards, where we dont make Accrington Stanley look like Real Madrid, where players are signed to play in positions based on research.

The team bottled it last season, but we were not far at all from a very good team. One or two smart additions and we were there. We have gone backwards this season by quite a bit.

If we finish 11th or above then that is our 3rd best finish in 22 years. 2 of them under Robinson...maybe that might give a better realisation of where we have been in the last 22 years and it isn’t a quick process to progress up the leagues!
no no and thrice no, it's competing in the Champions League or we've failed.

For some reason it's been a battle with the squad this year Winnall hasn't worked but so often it does with experienced players dropping a league.Sykes has gone backwards no goals no assists .Gorrin playing backwards across not going forwards enough.Kelly just not strong enough .Brannagan tries 100 per cent no goals.Henry class player but not as often an average season.Hall last season. Hanson tries but if we want to go up not the answer.Forde good versatile player.A lot of midfield players very few goals.When you look at the midfield it's got to change we don't want to keep many of those if we want to go up.

If we finish 11th or above then that is our 3rd best finish in 22 years. 2 of them under Robinson...maybe that might give a better realisation of where we have been in the last 22 years and it isn’t a quick process to progress up the leagues!
that’s not difficult for him to achieve given he’s been in charge of 3.3 of our 5 seasons in League One. Another way of looking at it might be that in 3 seasons he’s beaten Appleton’s record once, a 33% success rate and I’ve removed the Clotet/Robinson hybrid season from that record.

I would counter that with some of those 9 games we looked poor but managed to grind the win, whereas the 5 wins last season we looked brilliant in.

I may be mistaken, but I thought you said on another thread that you didn't watch any of our games last season?

How do people keep giving Robinson the credit for getting us up from the Conference to League One? He's only been able to finish in these positions because he took over a Clotet team that was 10th in League One when Pep was sacked, 15th when Karl took over and finished 8th the previous season under Appleton.

There are valid things you can use to boost your argument about Robinson, but this 'highest finish since x' stuff bears no weight at all unless Karl personally got us up from the Conference and League Two in League One, but he didn't.

How do people keep giving Robinson the credit for getting us up from the Conference to League One? He's only been able to finish in these positions because he took over a Clotet team that was 10th in League One when Pep was sacked, 15th when Karl took over and finished 8th the previous season under Appleton.

There are valid things you can use to boost your argument about Robinson, but this 'highest finish since x' stuff bears no weight at all unless Karl personally got us up from the Conference and League Two in League One, but he didn't.
Great post.

that’s not difficult for him to achieve given he’s been in charge of 3.3 of our 5 seasons in League One. Another way of looking at it might be that in 3 seasons he’s beaten Appleton’s record once, a 33% success rate and I’ve removed the Clotet/Robinson hybrid season from that record.
once so far.

Nothing will change before the end of the season but, whoever is in charge then, will look back at Karl's comment yesterday that he thought we were the better team ...er?

I very much doubt they will.

There have been many ups and downs since Robbo has been here, some his own doing, some not, and he does seem a genuinely good person, but this is a results business, and there is no room for sentiment, and while I think it's been a very difficult season, for obvious reasons, there are things that need to change, if Robbo is gonna have any chance of success here next season.

While there are many things he himself needs to work on, to improve on a personal level, with regards to his management skills, after last season's success, where we made major progress on and off the pitch, only to be stopped in our tracks by this poxy pandemic, I think he deserves the chance to have another season, under more normal working conditions, rather than be judged on this season's stop start, Saturday-Tuesday, 5 substitutions, 2 lockdowns, COVID tests, vaccinations, empty stadiums weirdness.

It has to have been so unsettling for all the players, management and coaching staff.

But I also think it's time the club stopped selling our best players every year, as it's hard to judge a manager, if we keep making him sell his best players, then have to rebuild all over again.

I understand the nature of the current recruitment model, but if the club want our current manager to have genuine success, then they have to stop pulling the rug out from underneath him every time he starts to rebuild, otherwise we'll just end up treading water, in a Groundhog Day scenario.

Hopefully our financial situation continues to improve, and Robbo can be given the chance to build, and maintain a quality squad.

But no more crocks, no more has-beens, no more players who have hardly played a game for 2-3 seasons, no more players in need of mini pre seasons, no more square pegs for round holes, no more trying to convert players from their natural position into something they're not, no more exhausting the squad in preseason, and no more awful first quarters of the season.

Mad dog87
Cracking post mate. Not much more I can add really.

once so far.
Well yes but that’s all we have to go on. Also Appleton finished 8th with a team that the previous year had been playing in League 2 so you could argue that’s makes his finish an even better achievement.

Regarding the pandemic it’s been the same for all clubs so I think you can judge him on this season.

All the other points you mention e.g. getting crocks, has-beens, playing players out of position, not addressing key positions and leaving/waiting for players until the last minute in the transfer window who inevitably don’t end up coming to us meaning we have to take second best etc, and Karl has continued to do this and it’s cost us each time.

Most clubs have to sell players to survive, but you ensure you have that on going player’s position ready to be filled.

The question is, will he change? Again he started to make comments about getting business done early, knows what he wants and not losing players (funny that as some of them are loanees that haven’t worked Kelly, Grayson and Lee), so add to that players who most of us had said were past it or not good enough or not worked out (Hall, Winnall, Hanson, Napa, Cooper, Clare, Obita etc) then you’re going to lose quite a few (virtually half of the squad) of those players or need to, but he tends not to get business done early, especially in the summer window.

We’ve had too many loanees again who are not good enough or don’t fit the model we work to e.g. good players from higher divisions who we could potentially sign e.g. McGuane, Barker etc who we can build and sell on and take us to the next level, not the likes of Lee or Winnall. These are mistakes made by Karl which he KEEPS doing, that’s why I’m now not sure if he’s the guy to take us to the next level.

I may be mistaken, but I thought you said on another thread that you didn't watch any of our games last season?
I didn't go to the games. I watched every game back either extended highlights or full games on iFollow depending on what free time I had the next day(s). I'm sure you're not saying this, but I'll repeat what I've said in another thread; my ability to attend games doesn't make my opinion less valid. I was a low income exile who physically couldn't attend games because I have a young family to support and they always come first, but I did everything I could to support my club and watch as much as I could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom