Manager/Coach Karl Robinson

Until the stadium situation is settled, and we don't have to keep rebuilding the squad every close season, due to selling players it will be extremely difficult to be a sustained championship team.

I don't think we'll ever stop selling players.

As long as we have ones worth selling that is.

If either Birmingham City or Portsmouth had really wanted Robinson, he’d be there in a shot. Why wouldn’t he, they’re much bigger clubs.

Christ, he almost lost his s**t when a no-mark outfit like Blackpool came knocking.

So if you were doing a significant financial deal involving numerous parties and local government institutions, how much of that would you leak to a leaky Internet forum? Out of interest?

You wouldn't leak it to a forum but someone would, alot of the planning stage is all accessible online. So far there has been no screening or scoping opinion submitted on any of the district councils for a stadium. So we are not that far down the line at all.

We will see what happens but at the moment nothing is official.

I don't think we'll ever stop selling players.

As long as we have ones worth selling that is.
Therein lies the problem, that can really be overcome by serious investment, to prevent the necessary sale of players.

Therein lies the problem, that can really be overcome by serious investment, to prevent the necessary sale of players.
Not true. You have to be able to generate your own income so you can't just spend millions on players!

Now i'm one of the first to hate our lack of keeping a squad together but even with serious investment on players if "Bigger" club came calling the player is likely to be wanting the move and the club would sell.

Let's be honest if and when we make the Championship we will become one of those clubs poaching talented League 1 players ready to step up.

Losing £2m a year seems pretty serious 'investment'
Are you advocating even bigger losses?

No, investment that means we can get off the merry go round of selling any assets we develop, and being able to bring in our own players and not so many loans, that every pre season leads to a rebuilding program with little consistency.
tiger has said where he sees the club going, where he wants to take the club and the brand he wants to develop. If you had read the posts that go with the one you quoted, you would see I said I didn't think it would happen until the ground situation is sorted out, and we can generate our own revenue.
THATS the level of investment we need to success in the medium to longer term.

No, investment that means we can get off the merry go round of selling any assets we develop, and being able to bring in our own players and not so many loans, that every pre season leads to a rebuilding program with little consistency.
tiger has said where he sees the club going, where he wants to take the club and the brand he wants to develop. If you had read the posts that go with the one you quoted, you would see I said I didn't think it would happen until the ground situation is sorted out, and we can generate our own revenue.
THATS the level of investment we need to success in the medium to longer term.

That's not investment, that's a sugar daddy.

There's barely a club in the Prem that doesn't sell their assets.

That's not investment, that's a sugar daddy.

There's barely a club in the Prem that doesn't sell their assets.
So spending money on a new ground, or the Kassam, isn't an investment? It will allow us to generate our own income, and not pay the exorbitant rents Kassam charges.

Conferences, sale of food/drink, hospitality opportunities?
It's all investment - "Investment is primarily made to obtain an additional source of income."

There's barely a club in the Prem that doesn't sell their assets. A different scenario to us. Currently we have to sell players to pay wages, bills etc, with some getting invested in the team. Premier league clubs sell players, for the most part to increase profits. Do they have to sell players to survive, as we do to a certain extent?

So spending money on a new ground, or the Kassam, isn't an investment? It will allow us to generate our own income, and not pay the exorbitant rents Kassam charges.

Conferences, sale of food/drink, hospitality opportunities?
It's all investment - "Investment is primarily made to obtain an additional source of income."

There's barely a club in the Prem that doesn't sell their assets. A different scenario to us. Currently we have to sell players to pay wages, bills etc, with some getting invested in the team. Premier league clubs sell players, for the most part to increase profits. Do they have to sell players to survive, as we do to a certain extent?

No spending the money on a new ground or the Kassam plainly isn't an investment. It would take decades to make the money back through conferences and catering. Interest on borrowing would dwarf the current rent. The investment would be in the additional property play, indirectly from the stadium. This could obviously benefit the club.

Premier league clubs sell players to increase profits? How many make a profit then? A quarter of them? I'll wager it's less than that...

There's barely (if any) a club in English football that doesn't sell it's best assets.

Here's an idea for some of our 'fans' who seem to struggle to understand how a business/football club needs to be run without having to sell our player assets..

All U's fan donate say £20k each every year, that's the masterplan folks!

Here's an idea for some of our 'fans' who seem to struggle to understand how a business/football club needs to be run without having to sell our player assets..

Count me in.

But if we had full revenue from the stadium including sponsorship, conferencing, catering on match days would we need to sell on players still to survive?

But if we had full revenue from the stadium including sponsorship, conferencing, catering on match days would we need to sell on players still to survive?

Yes, although it would put us in a stronger position to get a bit more money for those players. If premier league clubs have to sell players with the huge tv deal they have then so does every club. Players coming and going is part of pro football, that’s not going to change, we won’t have the same squad for a decade at a time.

If you employ better players the wage bill will increase but it doesn't always mean the crowds get any bigger. Every club sells players most of the time the agents talk the players into moving that's how they get paid. I think we all would love to own our ground to get rid of Kassam ,everything comes to an end one day hopefully sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom