Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the exact opposite to what you are saying, although I can understand your point of view completely and there is a fine balance between what is the right strategy to take.

At the moment the club are displaying an attitude that the need to mitigate potential future liabilities so that they are minimised beyond June 2026 is a greater need than protecting current investment and asset value. If the liabilities don't materialise then there could be significant future asset loss. So conversely it may actually prove irresponsible to not protect the assets now.

If the club did enjoy success and gets a promotion, 2.5 year contracts are no good for FFP compliance either because the transfer fees are amortised over a shorter period. The +1 doesn't count as it is not a guaranteed extension. So it makes living with FFP much more difficult too.

The club is showing a degree of weakness with these contract policies and it could start to harm the club in the future especially as it is not exactly hidden from the competition and we could be losing players in the Summer if they are unsettled because we can't offer deals beyond another 2 years maximum, and we could struggle to recruit the right players if we only offer 2 years.

That is all true, but I would hope that we have a much better indication on the stadium position by the summer when these things will become more relevant.

At this stage 2.5yrs +1 would be considered "long term" and it would need something exceptional to look beyond that. In the summer there will be clubs offering 3yr contracts and we will need to compete then, or accept that our recruitment will be much harder.

There will always be a gamble until the stadium is all signed off and the diggers are in. My approach could see us losing players or paying significantly more for the ones we have, yours could see us in the brown stuff if the stadium isn't ready for 2026. *

* I appreciate that there are far more nuances to this and neither of us are advocating financial ruin!

Less than 25 confirmed deals across the entire 92 clubs so far today.

That is likely to more than double before the window shuts.

Medicals often done before final agreements between clubs and/or players on deadline day, to ensure the thoroughness is still there.

Isn’t that partly because prem clubs are not doing much business as they didn’t realise the implications of FFP, spent all the years money in the summer and now can’t do much now? If we are waiting for those dominoes to fall it will be until summer.

Karl Robinson on Sky Sports News right now as an expert talking about transfers on deadline day
I turned it straight over to The Repair Shop
That programme was sandwiched between a recorded discussion with. Dr Shipman on Treating our elders with dignity, and How to be a brilliant Dad with Jozef Fritzl

A non scoring striker. Brilliant.
A goal every 279 minutes in the Championship. If you think that's bad you must be delighted we didn't get lumbered with Jack Marriott who managed a goal every 323 minutes a league lower, would likely cost a fee and decent wages, is 29 and has had a couple of really serious hamstring injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom