Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 2 years with Findlay isn't it? Hopefully Killie will bit the bullet and sign him permanently (albeit doubt they could match his wages so he'd probably have to accept a cut).

He isn’t going to accept a wage cut without us making up the difference, with two years left that could still be a decent wedge.

He could well spend another two seasons out on loan, given how long we chased him for as well he will have been linked to the club far longer than he was actually here.

He isn’t going to accept a wage cut without us making up the difference, with two years left that could still be a decent wedge.

He could well spend another two seasons out on loan, given how long we chased him for as well he will have been linked to the club far longer than he was actually here.

Would we accept another loan to Killie on that basis? We could have him as a back up squad member.

Could play hardball assuming they'd want him and he wants to stay there.

Agree with most of this except the bit highlighted.
According to Companies House, in June '23 the owners issued £2m of new OUFC shares - effectively diluting their own holdings.
This is effectively the owners paying the club £2m in return for shares. It's not a loan and they have no way of recovering this £2m unless they can enhance the sell-on value of the club by this amount to any potential future buyer.
Whilst some of it may have been to cover stadium related costs it will also qualify as income to help keep us within the SCMP 60% rule.

Thanks for that, Warks.

So in other words the owners have already essentially given (not loaned) the club £2m to enable us to run a much higher wage budget than a club of our size ought to be able to under League One SCMP rules.

That's.....kind of scary. I already knew that we weren't running sustainably and racking up debt, but that's even worse than I feared.
So if our owners decide that they don't want to pay another £2m for worthless shares next summer (assuming that we haven't got promoted), then we would basically have to slash our wage bill massively to stay within SCMP?

Would we accept another loan to Killie on that basis? We could have him as a back up squad member.

Could play hardball assuming they'd want him and he wants to stay there.

I think what we are paying him is unlikely to be match by many Scottish teams, well the ones who would want him, so we will probably just have to accept it’s better to have a chunk of his wages paid than pay all of it ourselves. The summer of 22 strikes again.
We have four centre backs under contract for next season not including him so can’t see him here as even cover.

The Harry Leonard rumours have died down. Been on bench last few games I think and not in squad tonight. Could he be the one we are waiting on dominos falling for?

Well they hinted it on the Dub earlier. The owners have already spent a lot of money this season including the latest £400k, I wouldn’t blame them if they put the brakes on.
I personally don’t have an issue with the money men outside of their choice of people which frankly couldn’t have been worse. We know where their interests are and they’ve never hid it. They’ve continued to stump up the funding when it would be quite easy to say we have to survive off what we raise until any guarantees can be made on the stadium. My only gripe with them is we’d have probably wasted a lot less time and money if they’d assembled a better board of directors to drive this on.

The problem is how the money has been spent, not the amount provided. Clubs have got out of this division with far less. The questions belong in the board room. If the team is falling apart and we’re regressing on the stadium front, just what exactly are they bringing to the table?

We thought we were close a couple of weeks ago, so it would make sense if he was one who'd been in the building and was deemed worth waiting for.

Niall Ennis is on the bench for Blackburn. He's apparently available on a "loan to buy" option. Been injured quite a bit this season so fits our profile perfectly. When he's been fit he hasn't got into the side. Bolton were after him but look like they're not willing to pay the £500K for him. He was a regular in Plymouth's team last year and scored 11 in 36 league games. Just going by reading about them, Ennis looks more like a Harris-type whereas Leonard would be more like Goodwin.

Since apparently Des was coaching at an equivalent level at highly successful Mumbai City, can’t their greatest players be poached or would the wage demands be too high?

Oh their average attendance so far this season is 3,973 at a stadium that has a capacity of 7,960. The city’s population 21,297,000. WTF Des.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom