Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, our only decent deal last January was Negru, and he barely played (didn't play at all?) until Manning came, then unfortunately got injured.

4/10 so far. We've lost a very good Keeper and replaced with what looks like a really good alternative, credit there. We've added a winger that looks like a gamble.
This is where I had us two and a half weeks ago.

When we replace Mills and Perkins (assuming the Mills replacement is of similar calibre and that the Perkins one is able to even be an option off the bench), it'll be 5/10.
Still not replaced either.

If the Perkins replacement has any proven pedigree at all (Leonard from Blackburn) it's 6/10.
Hasn't been replaced.

If we then get a starting striker on loan who has scored a good number of Football League goals this season (Mellon from Burnley) it's 7/10.
If we also sign a (permanent) striker who's scored goals, ideally at this level (Marriott) it's 8/10.
We've done one of these with Goodwin. +1.

If that latter signing is a 'wow' signing (JCH) it's 9/10.
Nope.

If we do all of the above and add an abrasive midfielder (Matete) it's 10/10.
Conteh would have done.

Was going to amend my score to 5/10 on the poll to account for the signing of Goodwin. However, whilst his injury doesn't bother me in itself, it does show up the other gaps which could and should have compensated for it.

Unnecessary delays, still two bodies short up top. Lackadaisical attitude contributing to last two poor results. -1.

So, a generous 4/10 at this point still (will lose another point if no additional striker signed and available by Tuesday).

We can still easily get the score up a couple of points to make it a bang average window, but something really remarkable needed in the next few days to make it even remotely decent.

It ain't gonna happen. We've had so much time yet got very little in the way of new signings. There are loads of players out there, gems in non league and even League 2 but we rarely go for those sort of players, preferring to get injured ex stars on their way down or players who are exactly the same profile as the ones we already have! So many poor signings and wasted resources. Very poor.

Yes it's a massive week for Des ,first the transfer market we need 3 in and probably a couple out. Then 4 points minimum with the 2 home games ,2 defeats or just a point will see us well out of the play offs and a real doom feeling. Let's hope it's a great week and this time next week everyone is feeling happier about Des and Oxford utd.

Murphy is a good player. On his day outstanding. Moreover he's on our books until the end of the season For whatever reason he didn't play much under Robinson- who we know had a habit of hanging players out to dry - and shipping them out on loan if their face didn't fit. Manning used him sometimes. Buckingham used him more- until he was injured a few weeks ago

I think the new manager is right to think of him as a member of a the first team squad who offers us attacking options which we badly need.
He doesn’t have any other choice really!

I know there's lots of anger with Des, it's the easiest target when pointing that finger.

I'm really disappointed with our performances.

However, I simply cannot accept it's all his fault. Our UK management team have a wonderful ability to go missing and leaving the first team manager to front up. It's pathetic senior management. They might get the bodyguards out to support him I guess.

Let down with the Assistant and look to me, to undermine him.

Let down (Day 28) by lack of incomings. Tyler B the only outfield addition to get onto the pitch. Goodwin will no doubt be good, when he's fit. They need to stop carping on about Edwards.

Now we will revert to typical Oxford United January transfer activity, scrapping on the last days of the window.

Did Bakrie get to meet any of our OUSP or finally get convinced to sit in front of our supporters trust?

I know there's lots of anger with Des, it's the easiest target when pointing that finger.

I'm really disappointed with our performances.

However, I simply cannot accept it's all his fault. Our UK management team have a wonderful ability to go missing and leaving the first team manager to front up. It's pathetic senior management. They might get the bodyguards out to support him I guess.

Let down with the Assistant and look to me, to undermine him.

Let down (Day 28) by lack of incomings. Tyler B the only outfield addition to get onto the pitch. Goodwin will no doubt be good, when he's fit. They need to stop carping on about Edwards.

Now we will revert to typical Oxford United January transfer activity, scrapping on the last days of the window.

Did Bakrie get to meet any of our OUSP or finally get convinced to sit in front of our supporters trust?
You might not get wealthy foreign owners to sit down and talk - but you expect the chairman to be a familiar figure surely? I’ve got no idea what he looks or sounds like.

We're not gonna get three players in, they would have been here days ago if they were coming.

I can't see much changing over the next few months even if Goodwin manages to get fit(!), we seemingly don't have any pace in the side for attacking, we don't have the correct blend of midfielders in the squad and our defenders can't defend properly so it makes for the same old poor performances, and us being found out, out played and DB's tactics being sussed out by more experienced managers in every team above and below us.

I can't see us getting much out of the next five games! We have Pompey, Reading, Blackpool, Wigan and Wycombe coming up, and on paper we should be capable of 8 or 9 points but I really can't see it at the moment. And it's a depressing feeling.

I think it'll be a maximum of two players, one of which a loanee.
I hope the "we'll be fine once the injured players return" line isn't trotted out as justification.

This may be an unpopular opinion…

But any squad that needs a rebuild mid season isn’t good enough to be challenging for those top 2 spots.

Loads of people saying our squad isn’t good enough in whatever areas, then moaning we’re losing and feel like we’re dropping out the promotion race?

Well if the squad isn’t good enough like most are moaning about, how are they then expecting those players to keep them in a play off race? Why’s the aim to be comfortably be in the play offs when they all say the squads not good enough to be there.

We aren't good enough to go up I think we are scrapping for the 6th spot ,but form wise we are not at the races. At the start of the season we would have took where we were but it's the way we have lost those spots in the table that's a concern we really have become easy to beat. I don't just blame Des there seems alot going on around the club.

We aren't good enough to go up I think we are scrapping for the 6th spot ,but form wise we are not at the races. At the start of the season we would have took where we were but it's the way we have lost those spots in the table that's a concern we really have become easy to beat. I don't just blame Des there seems alot going on around the club.
Agree, for a club to have such a big turnaround from last season it’s hard to take!

Look at Exeter, they were flying with us…

I think we were fully invested in Manning and his way of managing so any change from that especially mid season, would’ve destroyed us.. and the injuries too…

It’s a shame, but we’re in a play off race too still, let’s get these next 2 in and start getting some momentum

But any squad that needs a rebuild mid season isn’t good enough to be challenging for those top 2 spots.

It didn't need a rebuild. It needed 2 or 3 quality additons at the top end of the pitch - pretty standard for a side gunning for promotion. The Beadle and Mills situations then also needed to be addressed. Hardly insurmountable.

It's those unable to levy any criticism at our management and/or recruitment that are doing our squad a disservice. We have the bones of a quality squad. I actually feel bad for the consistent performers doing all they can - Brown, Brannagan, Rodrigues, Harris. They deserve to be in the promotion shake-up and for our management to have brought in the required support. They're on the front line, slugging their guts out while those behind them dither in sorting out reinforcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom