Des (early days / injury hit)
Tactically 5 out of 10
Injury Luck 2 out of 10
Exciting Games 5 out of 10
Transfer Windows 7 out of 10
Post Match Entertainment Value 3 out of 10
Squad Performance Bonus 1 out of 5
Careful, you’re very close to portraying Robinson as competent 😂

Agree with those that think we need an extra midfielder (ball winning etc) but also agree that it it was always going to take at least 3 windows to get the squad semi balanced.

If we could get Oisin Smyth a loan and use any savings (appreciate he won’t be a high earner) for a centre mid then that’s what I’d do. I think the addition of a holding centre mid is pretty vital, we are so reliant at present on Cam Bran and MM staying fit and in form (I think MM is a bit out of form T mo).

Successive managers have consistently not picked him, he seems only to play in emergencies etc. I’ve thought a couple of his cameos have been decent, but then he looked completely out of his depth at Coventry (not the only one 1 to be fair). I think he’s under contract until 2026 but he desperately needs to play more.

Recently I think he’s only been played as an ‘emergency’centre back or right back (v FGR). We’ve got Long and Negru coming back so don’t really need him in those positions. He’s not played centre mid but that’s where we need an option.

Loaning him out won’t save much on wages, but replacing him with a new centre midfielder would provide a better squad balance.
I'd rather we loaned out Thorniley than Smyth tbh.

Thornley doesn't look the same player.

Maybe something going on his private life? I hope he rediscovers his mojo

So no new attackers for tomorrow’s game, never mind Des you should ask Robbo what it’s like to say someone’s coming in

Browne Bodin Henry Murphy Seddon Findlay all Robinsons signings all need to be gone in the summer.Also some of Man inns signings weren't the best Thorniley Mckechran Perkins .This shows just how mIuch Des has his hands tied.I think Des needs summer window to do things his way.
Thornley, McKechran and Perkins seemed decent additions at the time.

Robinson's six mentioned above also seemed pretty good to at the time.

Maybe I'm easily pleased? Maybe it's harder than some of us give the manager credit for? Maybe both?

@OX14

I don’t know how old you are, how long you’ve been a fan or what you’ve experienced as an Oxford United fan.

But what do you expect for a club our size in this division?

You keep saying “4th biggest budget” firstly I don’t know how you know that, secondly if you do know that how much bigger than the other teams just below? What we have £100 more than 5th so we must demand to be so much better than those below.

We had a flying start, there was a small sign of a wobble under LM with no win in 3 against “beatable teams” as you’d say because of huge injuries etc

Our whole coaching structure gets torn apart as he leaves for BC, we spend a couple weeks getting Des over, trying to get the right people in and having to change our style.

It’s been a couple of months or so, and we sit 7 points off of top. 7 points. 7. In a transfer window where we are still looking to add, players coming back from injury and a more settled staff set up.

We are not entitled to go up because you think so, 4th biggest budget means FA in the grand scheme of things.

There is so much to still be optimistic and positive about yet your moaning as if we’re in a relegation battle again

I understand what you're saying.

Maybe me being negative is fuelled from a few things.

Hearing what is going on within the club from inside people and also the lack of communication from the club with regards to the new stadium.

The positive football and exciting football under Manning ( I realise he had a shaky start) but under Des it's so bloody dull especially up home.

I've been a season ticket holder for years and been following United for over 25 years. The atmosphere home and away isn't what is used to be, the matchday experience (entertainment) is awful, the Kassam and it's surroundings are in a right state of disrepair.

I understand we don't own anything but surely the club should be trying to improve things even if it at cost to them. We need to build momentum on and off the pitch to make the ground move successful.

I know a fanzone in the carpark was mentioned before but was dropped due to Kassam wanting to charge extra for it but the club should be doing all that can to maintain or attract more customers/fans.

Maybe I need to take a season out from all of it to rekindle my love for the club. Anyone ever done that and if so did it work?

Browne Bodin Henry Murphy Seddon Findlay all Robinsons signings all need to be gone in the summer.Also some of Man inns signings weren't the best Thorniley Mckechran Perkins .This shows just how mIuch Des has his hands tied.I think Des needs summer window to do things his way.
Can’t see any reason Des wouldn’t get the summer window. He’d have to go some to lose his job now. I think the board would happily see us sink to mid table without much concern. We’re all prepared to see Des plan for next season and finish the clear out that’s needed but I can’t hide my frustration of failing to strengthen enough after our best start to a season in years. No matter what’s happened, we remain in a great position with games to play and it feels like we’re going to bow out with a whimper and make it all about next season. Have to take your opportunities in football in more ways than one and so far it feels like the football operation is very low on the priority list. Whilst I know we have bigger fish to fry, that isn’t a good look.

I understand what you're saying.

Maybe me being negative is fuelled from a few things.

Hearing what is going on within the club from inside people and also the lack of communication from the club with regards to the new stadium.

The positive football and exciting football under Manning ( I realise he had a shaky start) but under Des it's so bloody dull especially up home.

I've been a season ticket holder for years and been following United for over 25 years. The atmosphere home and away isn't what is used to be, the matchday experience (entertainment) is awful, the Kassam and it's surroundings are in a right state of disrepair.

I understand we don't own anything but surely the club should be trying to improve things even if it at cost to them. We need to build momentum on and off the pitch to make the ground move successful.

I know a fanzone in the carpark was mentioned before but was dropped due to Kassam wanting to charge extra for it but the club should be doing all that can to maintain or attract more customers/fans.

Maybe I need to take a season out from all of it to rekindle my love for the club. Anyone ever done that and if so did it work?
You have just written what I was thinking OX14,Im not that articulate sadly but spot on.
The back passing, sideways style of football is mind numbing and Im not sure that I don't need a season out to rekindle some enthusiasm.

Can’t see any reason Des wouldn’t get the summer window. He’d have to go some to lose his job now. I think the board would happily see us sink to mid table without much concern. We’re all prepared to see Des plan for next season and finish the clear out that’s needed but I can’t hide my frustration of failing to strengthen enough after our best start to a season in years. No matter what’s happened, we remain in a great position with games to play and it feels like we’re going to bow out with a whimper and make it all about next season. Have to take your opportunities in football in more ways than one and so far it feels like the football operation is very low on the priority list. Whilst I know we have bigger fish to fry, that isn’t a good look.
To be fair to the club, they just spent £400k on a striker, I know that doesn't count to some because he's injured, but it hardly screams "football operation is very low on the priority list" does it?

The positive football and exciting football under Manning ( I realise he had a shaky start) but under Des it's so bloody dull especially up home
Just on this, I’m not disagreeing as such but the style upsets me differently. Manning’s football at times was dire and I typically like the possession style. It could be a very dry watch at times and preferred watching us away from home as we played more at pace. But it’s significantly easier to overlook when you carry an inner confidence that we have the game in total control and will win. Manning built that. Even when we played on the counter, we looked like we saw the game last night and practiced each and every movement. Quite something.

With Des it’s more what I’ve described as ad-hoc. It’s faster but more chaotic. Spontaneous but aimless. Direct but imprecise. And whilst that has provided more entertaining games of football than we often saw with Manning, I’ve found it impossible to enjoy as we just look like we can lose to anyone. I’ve referenced Robinson’s style a few times when talking about our recent performances and it’s really not that dissimilar. We’re back to being a bit soft, huffing at decisions and woe is me, Cam shooting from range in a rage and trying to out-attack everybody we play. You’ll have days where all the stars align but it doesn’t ever look balanced enough to go the distance and get you promoted. That’s my worry.

I agree this seems a missed opportunity,I think we "the fans", can see it wouldn't, take a huge amount to get us in to at least the playoffs,as a fan it,s incredibly frustrating, I think most are prepared to give Des a decent chance but he will only be as good as the backing he gets from the board, it will clearly be easier next season when we can get rid of a few but I still feel gutted for "this season", I know some will say we are still in the play offs but to me at least I will be quite surprised if we remain in them come season end.

To be fair to the club, they just spent £400k on a striker, I know that doesn't count to some because he's injured, but it hardly screams "football operation is very low on the priority list" does it?
Maybe you know more than me but how long has that £400k been available to Ed and the team? Didn’t we try and spend it in the summer on Marriott and Burey? To me that’s budget that was always there unspent.

in my opinion, my Top Trump Scores would be as follows:

Manning
Tactically 8 out of 10
Injury Luck 8 out of 10
Exciting Games 6 out of 10
Transfer Windows 8 out of 10
Squad Performance Bonus 3 out of 5
Women's Team Enthusiasm 4

Robinson
Tactically 6 out of 10
Injury Luck 5 out of 10
Exciting Games 7 out of 10
Transfer Windows 3 out of 10
Post Match Entertainment Value 7 out of 10
Squad Performance Bonus 2 out of 5
Women's Team Enthusiasm 10

Des (early days / injury hit)
Tactically 5 out of 10
Injury Luck 2 out of 10
Exciting Games 5 out of 10
Transfer Windows 7 out of 10
Squad Performance Bonus 1 out of 5
Women's Team Enthusiasm 5

I think this needs it's own separate thread! OUFC top trumps - manager edition and players edition! Someone get these going, and in production for next Christmas please!! 🙏

I think this needs it's own separate thread! OUFC top trumps - manager edition and players edition! Someone get these going, and in production for next Christmas please!! 🙏
Don,t think the speed ratings would be very high

I've been very disappointed with Thorniley. But Smyth, I've liked whenever I've seen him. He makes some mistakes, but he can play and he's physical. I'm fairy sure that he was a holding midfielder in Northern Ireland
Something very much in Des’s favour is the way he has given opportunities to Smyth, in my view. Centre - mid-mid. may well become his destination assuming there is a player in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom