Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manicheanism justifies military spending and restrictions on civil liberties though, so surely Huntingdon achieved his purpose and to a major extent his chorea was successful?

Last edited:
So yesterday an extended contract was announced at 11, followed by a new signing at 3. Today so far a contract extension at 11 - am I being too hopeful in expecting a repeat?
As Carlsberg would say: Probably.

Edit: Sorry.

Last edited:
I must say the last thing I was expecting to be referenced on the Forum is Huntingdon. For the record - the Clash of Civilisations was really the last gasp from somebody who could not reconcile himself to the end of the Cold War and so adapted the thesis of one Good vs one Evil to the post-communist era. Like so many theses of the time, including Fukuyama's neo-Hegelian The End of History, it proved utterly fallacious. This opens up the theoretical possibility at least that one day Millwall fans may start behaving with unexpected decorum.
The big question for me is what is can Huntingdon play in goal?

Of course this leads now to one of my favourite pieces of comedy. Cracking diving header from Socrates:

So yesterday an extended contract was announced at 11, followed by a new signing at 3. Today so far a contract extension at 11 - am I being too hopeful in expecting a repeat?

Well...

Of the player announcements we've made since the start of the summer window (new contracts, loans and permanents), the majority (6 out of 15) have been made on a Thursday, and of those, four have been made between 3.45pm and 4.30pm. So almost definitely ;-)

And no, YOU'VE got too much time on YOUR hands...

I must say the last thing I was expecting to be referenced on the Forum is Huntingdon. For the record - the Clash of Civilisations was really the last gasp from somebody who could not reconcile himself to the end of the Cold War and so adapted the thesis of one Good vs one Evil to the post-communist era. Like so many theses of the time, including Fukuyama's neo-Hegelian The End of History, it proved utterly fallacious. This opens up the theoretical possibility at least that one day Millwall fans may start behaving with unexpected decorum.
This is precisely the kind of content you don't get on The Town End Forum.

Bravo Mr Glenny.

Fingers crossed ,someone Cumming in at 3 and the lad from Blackburn at 10 past.

Just a query.

We all seem to be certain Cummings is the keeper coming in, but I’m sure this was a fan rumour that just took off and got mentioned on the Dub as a “Name floating around”

Do we actually know it’s him?

Also the fact he hasn’t played any games so far this season probably suggests Mr Eastwood will start Saturday anyway now.

Some Chelsea twitter accounts have mentioned him in relation to us.

Also the fact he hasn’t played any games so far this season probably suggests Mr Eastwood will start Saturday anyway now.
Wash your mouth out!! I won't accept it until I have to which is 2.01pm on Saturday.

Manicheanism justifies military spending and restrictions on civil liberties though, so surely Huntingdon achieved his purpose and to a major extent his chorea was successful?
Yes, but could he do it on a cold tuesday in stoke?

Just a query.

We all seem to be certain Cummings is the keeper coming in, but I’m sure this was a fan rumour that just took off and got mentioned on the Dub as a “Name floating around”

Do we actually know it’s him?

Manning wanted to sign Burey and Cummings. The later before he was offered Beadle. So clearly Ed is well aware of him. Be a shock to many if it’s someone else.

Hegel, Marx, Fukuyama - none of these dudes would have fallen for the canard of historical determinism if they'd been football fans.

Imagine if Maurice Evans had said on the 23rd of November 1985, "It’s not your day, lads. Just try to stop Ipswich from scoring too many more."

We wouldn't have turned a 0-3 scoreline into an epic 4-3 victory.

Georg, Karl, Francis, get your heads out of those books and get a taste of real life. You'll learn more on the terraces than in the library.

Well I must contest your outright dismissal of his theory as being somewhat mendacious sir. To have written, at a time of relative global peace, where pacifism and global western democracy was flourishing, that this was not our future, makes him look a little like Nostradamus in my eyes.

Whilst Fukuyama took the facile approach of scribing what was essentially exactly what was happening in the moment (say what you see), Huntingdon rebutted such idealism and grounded out a realism that just a few years later exploded into life with 9/11. To have ascertained in 1996 that our future would be less ideological, and more focused on cultural and religious difference, seems to have been right on the money. Especially since much of his focus was on a divide between the west and Islam.

If one were drawing the map, we have rightly become the west, whilst the moonrakers up the a420 live with theistic delusions equivalent to Islam. But we will always have the power everywhere we go.

Hegel, Marx, Fukuyama - none of these dudes would have fallen for the canard of historical determinism if they'd been football fans.

Imagine if Maurice Evans had said on the 23rd of November 1985, "It’s not your day, lads. Just try to stop Ipswich from scoring too many more."

We wouldn't have turned a 0-3 scoreline into an epic 4-3 victory.

Georg, Karl, Francis, get your heads out of those books and get a taste of real life. You'll learn more on the terraces than in the library.
Arguably not giving up when 3-0 down is compatible with Marx's view of historical determinism, but let's gloss over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom