Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Internal candidates for promotion in any industry are often seen as the ‘cheap’ option. Footballers who come through the academy system lag hugely in their wages against a player of a similar age/level of experience brought in from another club.

Cut him some slack and appreciate that he probably had to work extremely hard to convince them of his readiness. Well that or infer from this decision that the money’s running out and won’t be returning until the uncertainly over the stadium is sorted.
Yup. Don’t think Shankley’s successors at Liverpool were “the cheap option.”

BBC Radio Oxford Sport

@bbcoxfordsport
HACKETT STEPS UP: Oxford United academy coach Chris Hackett to continue in assistant manager role at #oufc. Hackett, Craig Short and Lewis Price remain part of Des Buckingham’s coaching staff. Hackett stepped up after departure of Liam Manning and Chris Hogg.
Last edited
9:24 AM · Jan 9, 2024
⚰️🗞️
Nothing agains Chris, but we have all been saying for weeks that Dez needs help, then they appoint the guy who has already been helping him. Have we moved any further forward?

Portsmouth, Derby, Blackpool, Peterborough and Blackpool among others, now reportedly watching Ronan Hale.

While everyone else is going wild in the aisles with there trolleys at Harrods, Marks and Spencer’s and Waitrose, we look like filling our basket at B&M, and Wilkos

It wasn't just help he needed, it was experience.
Chris Hackett has played at a high level here and in Scotland and been a coach for ages. But he was clearly not first or second choice so it's not encouraging. I imagine they're still looking for another guy to come in.

Chris Hackett has played at a high level here and in Scotland and been a coach for ages. But he was clearly not first or second choice so it's not encouraging. I imagine they're still looking for another guy to come in.

Should be good to be a pundit though.

Certainly not the assistant Des needed based on in-game evidence, he needed someone who's really been through the ringer in the EFL with some contacts. Can't imagine for a second he was the one he wanted, but the one he's now got. You can't possibly look at that situation and think all is well, a problem has emerged somewhere since Des' arrival. You don't make an expensive, long term appointment like Buckingham and follow it up with that 8 weeks later. When cost-cutting short-termism like this starts to creep in, it's very ominous and screams out that the belt has tightened for the time being.

Franchise keeper MacGillivray linked with Stevenage - hope they don't try to beat us to Jamie Cumming.

While everyone else is going wild in the aisles with there trolleys at Harrods, Marks and Spencer’s and Waitrose, we look like filling our basket at B&M, and Wilkos
There is so much stuff to be genuinely concerned about at the club at the moment, strange to pick this unicorn or whatever the opposite of a unicorn is.

Certainly not the assistant Des needed based on in-game evidence, he needed someone who's really been through the ringer in the EFL with some contacts. Can't imagine for a second he was the one he wanted, but the one he's now got. You can't possibly look at that situation and think all is well, a problem has emerged somewhere since Des' arrival. You don't make an expensive, long term appointment like Buckingham and follow it up with that 8 weeks later. When cost-cutting short-termism like this starts to creep in, it's very ominous and screams out that the belt has tightened for the time being.
Chris Hackett. Played for Oxford United, Millwall, Northampton Town with loan spells at Wycombe Barnet and Exeter. Also played for Hearts.

I can't see why his career is so much less impressive than say Chris Hogg who teamed up with Manning at MK after coaching at Ipswich and Newcastle United.

My biggest concern, is football is always about a network and contacts in the game . My worry is Des and CH probably don’t have this so we are relying on Faz as the only person at the club who has this?
I agree as of course he needs to build networks personally on this side of the world. Also when competing against other better known managers he may lose out regularly but it’s more than that…getting a decent striker(s) in with Mills, Edwards gone and Browne injured reduces the supply to them which could make them favour another move. Hopefully though we can offer some competitive wages and get the right guys in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom