Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mellon was on loan at Morecambe. All clubs know there is a risk of a player being recalled in the January window so it doesn't come as a surprise. There is a certain date within the window that the player can no longer be recalled or returned which gives time for that club to replace the player.

As for Perkins it's clear as day he hasn't done enough in training to warrant a place on the bench. That's two managers this season that haven't picked him.
Short didn’t either did he?

It's still screwed over some other club though, right? (Not sure which club Mellon is with.) And Perkins, well you win some, you lose some, but no idea why he hasn't been given more of a chance tbh.

Mellon has scored 13 in 22 for Morecombe this season (on loan from Burnley) in a similar set up to the one we play. However he has only just turned 20 and is from Blackpool originally, so he may still be living at home and may not adjust to move away and stepping up a league.

Yes, it's screwing over another club if you want to look at it that way, but you could apply that to every transfer. As you say, you win some, you lose some.

Perkins simply hasn't worked out. Manning and Buckingham would have both had plenty of time to watch him in training, and decided that he's not the answer. I don't think he's a bad player, or a bad person, and a change of scene is likely the best thing for him right now. Sam Smith looked awful for us, but has got himself established at Cambridge and now at Reading. Carlton Morris could barely get a kick here but is now scoring in the PL for Luton.

That's the risk of a loan signing and it's why there is always a break clause in there for all parties.

Freddie Draper is one to keel an eye on in the future on loan at Walsall scored 10 in 21 so far & noticed he was born in Oxfordshire

We should have identified our targets a month or so ago, now we need to move quickly and decisively, especially the targets that are not loan deals. Get them in early, and the quicker we can get up and running for the second half of the season.

Freddie Draper is one to keel an eye on in the future on loan at Walsall scored 10 in 21 so far & noticed he was born in Oxfordshire
Defiantly one to keep an eye on. Came off after 30 minutes at the weekend so I presume he’s now injured.

We should have identified our targets a month or so ago, now we need to move quickly and decisively, especially the targets that are not loan deals. Get them in early, and the quicker we can get up and running for the second half of the season.
No doubt we have our targets and the ball would have been rolling a long time before window opens.

But I imagine some players become available that were unlikely or at least unxpected... E.g. players being recalled from loans.

I'm sure they would have been on our radar, but if become unexpectedly available, it may shift our approach to the window.

In Waldron & Co we trust 😁

It's still screwed over some other club though, right? (Not sure which club Mellon is with.) And Perkins, well you win some, you lose some, but no idea why he hasn't been given more of a chance tbh.
I have no idea either. But that’s 3 managers who haven’t deemed him good enough. When he has come on, I know that’s only briefly, he hasn’t exactly set the world alight. Very poor that he can’t win a shirt with Harris not taking his chances.
Strange the Leeds fans thought he was the business. Perhaps it’s attitude or he’s home sick or an injury? Either way I’m glad we don’t have to carry him for the rest of the season.
From a planning side I think it would be best if, before Jan a club could agree to extend the loan to a full season. That way both clubs would know 100% what’s going on.

No doubt we have our targets and the ball would have been rolling a long time before window opens.

But I imagine some players become available that were unlikely or at least unxpected... E.g. players being recalled from loans.

I'm sure they would have been on our radar, but if become unexpectedly available, it may shift our approach to the window.

In Waldron & Co we trust 😁
This is what makes the January window so tricky, I’ve no doubt in the past we’ve let other players slip away while we chase somebody who became available but realistically was out of our reach.

just read he's played for Ipswich and Spurs this season so can't play for anyone else?
Maximum of 3 clubs per season, chased him before his Pompey loan, looked again in the summer. Couldn’t cut it in the Ipswich side which is fair enough…

Not sure about the validity of the source, but would be a nice get
I can’t see there being any truth in this although he seems to be attracting a lot of interest.

Would we blow all of our budget on a young attacking midfielder when we have RR and Woltman as his understudy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom