Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said we've given up on January? Do you think the recruitment team are just firing up their laptops now?

There is such an obsession with getting business done early, is there any evidence to support that it helps in the short-term? Charlton and Carlisle got their business done early, how has it worked for them?
Well weve definitely needed help for a while now due to injuries so we couldve done with a few more earlier.

I think the biggest frustration for us all is that automatic promotion it’s there for the taking let alone the play offs. No one is really running away with it so this will be our best chance to go up. The sooner we get another couple of attackers in and I agree about a DM and empty our treatment room the better.

Not ITK, but is there a chance of budget constraints holding us back in January?

We already have one of the biggest wage bills in the league and with Murphy, Browne and Henry not getting close to justifying their large salaries, as well as Brannagan being on a real wedge, is it possible Tim doesn't want to ruin the spreadsheet by adding more red on it?

But if the players we wanted weren't available earlier, what do you want us to have done?
A good recruitment team adapts to circumstance and need. If we finish the window with just one more addition then I'd question who the players we 'wanted' actually were, because they haven't done much to fill the gaps that need filling!

If we miss out on playoffs this season (which I think we will), this window will be looked at as a very poor one.

Not ITK, but is there a chance of budget constraints holding us back in January?

We already have one of the biggest wage bills in the league and with Murphy, Browne and Henry not getting close to justifying their large salaries, as well as Brannagan being on a real wedge, is it possible Tim doesn't want to ruin the spreadsheet by adding more red on it?
Tim's stopped updating that spreadsheet, but he's got the December retail one framed in his office

We've spent a fortune on the manager and £400k on a striker.. I don't think it fair to say we're not spending anything

Just to prevent any other poor soul having to catch-up on the last five or six plages here, the Yellows Forum hive mind has decreed that before the end of the window we need:

1. Another keeper
2. A right back
3. A defensive midfielder
4. A box-to-box midfielder on a par with, or better than, replace Brannaghan in case he or McGuane get injured
5. A right winger
6. A striker
7. Another striker

Oh, and each of these players has to have experience in League One, be quick, big, strong, be available but not cost too much, and be willing to sit on the bench as we're only bringing them in as cover.

Quick! To the 'Far Too Good for this Division, but Inexplicably Available Footballer' shop!

Bolton preparing a bid for Brizzle Rovers’ Aaron Collins - league one player of the season last year, loads of goals & assists but form dropped a little this year. Was left out of their squad on Saturday pending a transfer I guess. Having coached him as a kid, and followed his progress I know he’s a good lad and trains well, plays best as one of a front two. Wonder if we could gazump Bolton?
Would love that to be the case but probably won’t happen. Great player.

We've spent a fortune on the manager and £400k on a striker.. I don't think it fair to say we're not spending anything
That's what I mean in a roundabout sort of way. The owners have spent a small fortune - perhaps they've reached their limit?

That's what I mean in a roundabout sort of way. The owners have spent a small fortune - perhaps they've reached their limit?
It could well be a case of us blowing the whole budget on one player, so only able to shop for free signings and loans

I don't buy the idea he's been given nothing to work with.

Our starting 11 on Saturday:

Cumming - young, but very experienced for his age. Over 130 appearances between L1 & L2
Brown + Moore + Leigh - all well established, good L1 defenders
Negru - young but we know he can perform and plenty of potential
Stevens - not very experienced
McEachran - personally don't rate him but experienced at this level and fairly well thought of at MK
Brannagan - best CM in the league ;)
Goodrham - made over 60 L1 appearances. Personally think he's a solid player with lots of potential
Rodrigues - one of the best perfomers in the NL last season, we all know he's a capable player
Harris - Again, personally don't rate him but lots of experience at a higher level

Only the players in bold are those who maybe aren't good enough - the rest are more than competent enough to be in a team/part of a L1 squad battling for promotion.

Interestingly, McEachran is a player Des thinks is good enough and Harris has been left till at least a couple of weeks as our main striker.
Got nothing else apart from those players though. They have to play game after game 90 minutes after 90 minutes.

Something a professional footballer should be able to do!
To a degree. Fatigue is obviously a factor when playing continuously, I suspect being a professional footballer doesn't prevent the fact the human body can only do so much before experiencing signs of fatigue. I wonder what the science says about all of this? Could Mo Farah, for example, run at the same intensity he did in the Olympic finals, twice a week for months?

But if the players we wanted weren't available earlier, what do you want us to have done?
Still get some in as having players available is better than having none. If we get these better players in at the end then you might have a point, lets see what happens in the next few days.

Just to prevent any other poor soul having to catch-up on the last five or six plages here, the Yellows Forum hive mind has decreed that before the end of the window we need:

1. Another keeper
2. A right back
3. A defensive midfielder
4. A box-to-box midfielder on a par with, or better than, replace Brannaghan in case he or McGuane get injured
5. A right winger
6. A striker
7. Another striker

Oh, and each of these players has to have experience in League One, be quick, big, strong, be available but not cost too much, and be willing to sit on the bench as we're only bringing them in as cover.

Quick! To the 'Far Too Good for this Division, but Inexplicably Available Footballer' shop!
Would say 3 of those options are wrong and they dont need to cover they need to come in and start without being injury prone. Our injury prone players become the cover when they are back until the summer when most of them get released.

I think if we can stay around the play offs it's been a great season ,after last year ,let's hope for something decent the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom