Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely 500k is way too much?
Fleetwood would double their money?

However it seems like even knowledgeable people can only think of about six strikers so they obviously have rarity value. Obvs he’s be worth that if he gets us promoted or even to playoff final.

Marriott was born in Beverley, but grew up in Northants area until Ipswich bought his Mum a house to get him to sign for them as a youngster.
I think he deems Northants as 'home' in that sense.

As for the Stokes rumour - the original twitter account that put that up, has never had anything correct, only tweets during transfer windows, and prior to this window opening, had last kept up a tweet from May 2023. It has deleted shed loads of false rumours that it has created and they've not happened.

He'll be a player we're fully aware of, but I would be surprised if anything is "live" this early in the window for any club to be getting him.

Just had a quick look and across all competitions and throughout his whole career Marriott has averaged a goal every 191 minutes. By comparison, in more matches, Jonson Clarke-Harris averages a goal every 196 minutes. Random stat but interesting, just basing this off one of the main strikers within this League.

Marriott has played 110 L1 games, scored 45 and is 171 minutes per goal. JCH has played 262 games in L1, scored 104 goals and is 176 minutes per goal. Both also the same age at 29 and would likely garner the same transfer fee roughly.

Last edited:
Surely 500k is way too much?
£500k would be a big risk for a striker who’s been no more prolific than Harris this season (Marriott 5 in 27 vs Harris 7 in 29). Obviously we can debate the quality of service, but it’s hardly like Marriott is banging them in every week at this level.

It’s clear Waldron sees him as really fitting in and flourishing in our system, but for that kind of money I think it’s probably too much of a gamble.

Marriott would be a huge waste of money IMO.

Not played over 30 games in a season since 2019/20 not scored over 10 since 19/18.

Please not 500k for and ageing player on the way down
He played 40 games in L1 last season scoring 12.
47 games, and 15 goals in total for the season.

Yes, people's comments are fair enough. I just think any half decent creative player should be looking over their shoulder before they get the ball and spotting that gap with a willing wing back to run into. He actually tries quite a lot of stuff that doesn't come off, taking too long at times which is why I'm not convinced he is Championship ready. I think he is a decent player.
Personally I’ve thought a lot this season that he’s the most naturally creative player we’ve had for a long time. We’ve had some good footballers, but not many I can recall who can see and execute a ball like Ruben does. He’s only got 2 assists this season compared to Cam’s 5, but statistically has higher expected assists than everyone. 8 big chances created compared to the next best 4. I don’t think any other player in our squad is playing that ball to Steven’s on Saturday. With that natural vision and view of the game I don’t see why he couldn’t be an asset for someone in the Championship.

£500k would be a big risk for a striker who’s been no more prolific than Harris this season (Marriott 5 in 27 vs Harris 7 in 29). Obviously we can debate the quality of service, but it’s hardly like Marriott is banging them in every week at this level.

It’s clear Waldron sees him as really fitting in and flourishing in our system, but for that kind of money I think it’s probably too much of a gamble.
It says it all about how genuinely mad our last year was under Robbo and Tim that Robbo wanted to bring in Marriott for 250k, and was rejected by the board, who sanctioned Baldock, Tyler Smith and letting Taylor go, then sinonegn Marriott for 500k a year later!

Nonetheless, it's a sign again of our ambitious owners, and I believe he will do very well for us.

Plus I can stop moaning about that 400k!

Blimey we really have got the bitt between our teeth where Marriott is concerned. I haven’t quite seen or heard the ‘thing’ that makes him stand out from the crowd enough for this ongoing goose chase but obviously Waldron is convinced and has managed to sell him to two different managers.

500k for Marriott is ludicrous.

Not sensible.

I’m hoping we’re looking elsewhere.

What about if he scores a hat trick on debut, and can stop scoring. Still a waste of money…

Then again he could sign and get a career ending injury. It’s the chance you take with any transfer.

Last edited:
Blimey we really have got the bitt between our teeth where Marriott is concerned. I haven’t quite seen or heard the ‘thing’ that makes him stand out from the crowd enough for this ongoing goose chase but obviously Waldron is convinced and has managed to sell him to two different managers.
Yep. I just don't know enough about him. 500k seems a lot for a club like ours, on the other hand Waldron must really like him and feels his style will suit ours.

In answer to where Marriott's home is, I believe, the most expensive street in Fleetwood is Fairhaven Avenue (FY7).

However he may reside in Fleetwood's millionaire suburb, Lytham.

Regardless, he's coming to Abingdon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom