Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why when Desmond said 2 in before Saturday, I replied, I will believe it when I see it.

It was never going to happen.

He actually said

"If we can, we’ll try and bring them in as soon as possible because we’ve still got two games to play before the window closes."
“If we can get them in earlier, they’ll be able to play a role in those two games.”

He actually said

"If we can, we’ll try and bring them in as soon as possible because we’ve still got two games to play before the window closes."
“If we can get them in earlier, they’ll be able to play a role in those two games.”
As @Leysboy has told us how he replied to the comment, I’m 99% sure this is a private conversation he had with Des, where Des made a bunch of promises to him.

Again, poor from Buckingham if true.

As @Leysboy has told us how he replied to the comment, I’m 99% sure this is a private conversation he had with Des, where Des made a bunch of promises to him.

Again, poor from Buckingham if true.

I think I’d rather have a chat with Lindsey Buckingham. Fleetwood Mac were good.

We’ve only been good against fodder like Carlisle and Burton.

He actually said

Jesus it's like Karl Robinson and we will do our business early all over again. 💤

Jesus it's like Karl Robinson and we will do our business early all over again. 💤
Yet nobody seems to ever address the elephant in the room of to why we are so consistently slow off the mark since the days of Mark Ashton.

Yet nobody seems to ever address the elephant in the room of to why we are so consistently slow off the mark since the days of Mark Ashton.

We've brought in three players this window - Burey, Cumming, Goodwin (I'm not counting Edwards).

As of today, that's more than Pompey, Derby, Barnsley, Blackpool, Bolton or Peterborough. Bolton haven't signed anyone! Of the other teams near the top, only Stevenage have done as much business as us.

Yes, we have some injuries, but so do many of the others. Pompey's injury list is every bit as bad as ours.

So how come the narrative is still that we're the ones who are slow off the mark compared to the competition?

Yes, some of our business will happen at the end of the window. So will everyone's - that's January!

We've brought in three players this window - Burey, Cumming, Goodwin (I'm not counting Edwards).

As of today, that's more than Pompey, Derby, Barnsley, Blackpool, Bolton or Peterborough. Bolton haven't signed anyone! Of the other teams near the top, only Stevenage have done as much business as us.

Yes, we have some injuries, but so do many of the others. Pompey's injury list is every bit as bad as ours.

So how come the narrative is still that we're the ones who are slow off the mark compared to the competition?

Yes, some of our business will happen at the end of the window. So will everyone's - that's January!
But have we strengthened our squad? Cumming replaces beadle, Burey replaces Mills.

Both were done via previous relationships with the players....

Rh

The context is everything. We were several short anyway, then lost more. Those clubs appear from the outside to be on a much much better foundation than us and have earned the right to fine tune in this window. That’s really what January should be. You do your business in the summer and add what could be critical if you can find value. If not, leave it to the summer without too much consequence.

For us the need was always large. We needed 3 large windows to sort the mess out and if we skip every January one that means it’ll take 3 seasons. Being productive in this window should come as no surprise to anyone but that became much more important following the recalls and further injuries.

We can’t compare like for like. We simply needed, and still need, much more than our competitions.

Are any of those other clubs making do with just one senior striker? With no-one to share the load?

One striker who, up top on his own, has had to start 18 straight League games (going back to 3rd October)?
One striker who's had to play 80+ minutes in 6 of the last 7 League games?
And every single League minute since the window opened?

No other club would dream of flogging a solitary striker like this.

I think we'd all accept incremental improvements to the squad spread across the month, but we had/have no such luxury up top.

That's where we differ from those other clubs, and that's where our recruitment is rightly being scrutinised.

With a good coach that’s adapted remarkably quickly to a level he hasn’t experienced. Phenomenal setup there. Their choice of people is outstanding.

Shows what you can do without a beautifully polished stadium. They show the entire pyramid that there’s no excuses.
To be fair though they don’t have to pay £1M a year rent do they?

I’d take their stadium over our s**t tip tomorrow if it meant the club owned it and all the revenue with it.

Are you referring to the one that cannot play due to injury or are you referring to a different one that nobody else has heard of yet?
I’m referring to Will Goodwin, the player we signed after beating Charlton to his signature (then managed by Michael Appleton admired by many on here ) and paid somewhere in the region of £400,000 for.

When you say” he cannot play due to injury”, it sounds like you’re suggesting that he’s had his leg amputated rather than not being available for selection for the first game we played.

I’m referring to Will Goodwin, the player we signed after beating Charlton to his signature (then managed by Michael Appleton admired by many on here ) and paid somewhere in the region of £400,000 for.

When you say” he cannot play due to injury”, it sounds like you’re suggesting that he’s had his leg amputated rather than not being available for selection for the first game we played.
I would suggest that an amputation is rather more than a simple injury. No way did I infer that he would never play for us.
The reasons he chose us over Charlton have been widely documented on this forum and no further comment is needed on that score.
As regards Mapp, even Charlton fans are unhappy with him.

Ipswich fans very frustrated that Ashton hasn’t signed them a striker yet this window
Not such an issue when you already have Hirst, Jackson, Chaplin, Broadhead and Burns as options to play there mind, as opposed to us having *checks notes* Harris.

I would suggest that an amputation is rather more than a simple injury. No way did I infer that he would never play for us.
The reasons he chose us over Charlton have been widely documented on this forum and no further comment is needed on that score.
As regards Mapp, even Charlton fans are unhappy with him.
Your post was both negative and tedious.

Personally, I think it’s a good thing that we’ve signed a sword sought after striker early in the window. Don’t you?

I really worry about our fanbase sometimes, in the summer we were exceptional in rebuilding a depleted squad filled with talent and experience.

Coming into this window, we’ve managed to resign 2 and get 2 new faces in, and currently chasing a further 2. Which we know we’re waiting for the go ahead to have.

We’re not incredibly slow at getting business done, we’re trying to get the right players for the right price, to help build and reach a long term goal.

I honestly think we have one of the worst fan bases for negativity, we sign quickly it’s the wrong man, we sign late it’s not good enough.. we sit in the play offs (way above our level tbf) and fans still moan..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom